In Hearth of Durn-Turum - dwarvish SP/MP campaign!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dwarftough

Re: In Hearth of Durn-Turum - dwarvish SP/MP campaign!

Post by dwarftough »

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 11th, 2024, 1:57 am I still don't know what it means for a troll to flee. Retreat for one turn, or leave the battlefield?
Retreat for one turn. It's stated in objectives: "A successful thunderer (and his advances) shot will cause the affected troll to flee in panic for 1 turn."
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

Just to be clear, my point was not "how do I play this specific save?". It was "you CAN lose (or so close to it the end is the same) before you get a chance to play".
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 11th, 2024, 6:21 pm Just to be clear, my point was not "how do I play this specific save?". It was "you CAN lose (or so close to it the end is the same) before you get a chance to play".
I see but my point is that you can't be blocked by elves if you calculate your moves correctly to not get stuck. No even randomness here, you don't depend on whether you hit those rangers or not really
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
white_haired_uncle

Post by white_haired_uncle »

dwarftough wrote: January 11th, 2024, 5:37 pm
white_haired_uncle wrote: January 11th, 2024, 1:57 am I still don't know what it means for a troll to flee. Retreat for one turn, or leave the battlefield?
Retreat for one turn. It's stated in objectives: "A successful thunderer (and his advances) shot will cause the affected troll to flee in panic for 1 turn."
Interesting. I can see that being useful if when it retreated it decided to attack another opponent behind it. Or if it retreated immediately when hit, so you could push back the enemy line. But if it just means he retreats and regenerates for one turn while his buddies move up to the front line, that's kind of the opposite of what I want an enemy troll to do.
I see but my point is that you can't be blocked by elves if you calculate your moves correctly to not get stuck. No even randomness here, you don't depend on whether you hit those rangers or not really
Okay, say I'm not blocked in. How many turns does it take for the elves to get to the caravans, and how many does it take for me to get there and do something about it? If the AI's goal was to destroy the caravans (aka win), I don't see me being able to do much about it.
Speak softly, and carry Doombringer.
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

white_haired_uncle wrote: January 11th, 2024, 6:41 pm Interesting. I can see that being useful if when it retreated it decided to attack another opponent behind it. Or if it retreated immediately when hit, so you could push back the enemy line. But if it just means he retreats and regenerates for one turn while his buddies move up to the front line, that's kind of the opposite of what I want an enemy troll to do.
I see your point about trolls, especially small whelps, retreating and healing while you probably want to damage them in retaliation, but still I found scarying trolls quite useful. For example, you can scare away a big lvl 2 troll to get some time for regroupping/rotation. Or when you want it to get out of your way.
white_haired_uncle wrote: January 11th, 2024, 6:41 pm Okay, say I'm not blocked in. How many turns does it take for the elves to get to the caravans, and how many does it take for me to get there and do something about it? If the AI's goal was to destroy the caravans (aka win), I don't see me being able to do much about it.
In fact it's enough time for you to get there when you don't get blocked. Here in the screenshot you can see turn 4 with just one keep of recalling/recruiting, and it's far from lost if anything. Two elvish horses won't take down caravans, your dwarivsh ally pressures elves as well, your units are on the field. And it's even just one keep of units, you may have more coming from both the central keep and the sideway, so you're pretty okay, maybe you can lose a caravan but still you put a decent fight, so it's definitely not lost with any chance to fight.
Без имени.png
Further it may process this way
Без имени7.png
It was just one keep of recalls, and even that isn't lost before you can do anything.

Maybe turn timings are tight, you have no tempo to lose, but that's the entire point and challenge of the scenario. What challenge would it be if caravans had just free passage to the cave?
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

imageeeeee.png
imageeeeee.png (137.71 KiB) Viewed 739 times
We're glad to announce that v1.1.0 patch has been released!
This is an extensive patch that took into account feedback we've received so far as well as some of our own thoughts about replays we saw. Changelog:
  • S5 was made easier and hopefully no longer broken, enemies get less gold and all enemies disappear when you defeat their leader.
  • Monsters in S5 no longer target villages
  • Gold veins have more hp, that means more gold you can mine
  • S6: more zones with illumination for easier defense against trolls
  • S6: big boss has less income when the scenario switches to the final stage
  • Map tweak in S3
  • S3: enemy doesn't have extra spawns but has more income on higher difficulties, so the fight is more about village control
  • Little text fix in the epilogue
dwarftough

Post by dwarftough »

I'm very happy to announce a release of a new v1.2.0 patch! Available on the 1.18 add-on server

Changelog:
  • ported to 1.18
  • full Russian translation
  • S1: side chambers are more evident
  • S3: the ally has more starting units. The enemy has more preflagged villages, so the player has to consider economy and discover the side chambers
  • S4: caravans are spawned instead of recruited, no more extra caravans on the field (in the previous version the ally bought 3 caravans even when he needed to get only one more)
  • S6: new map with more space
  • S6: now the player has to defeat both enemy superiors to win
  • dialogues fixes
DurnTurum12.png