video tutorials

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
ChrundleTheGreat

video tutorials

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

I know the battle for wesnoth could use more resources and attention, and i have seen some well crafted tutorials made on various aspects of the game and how to developh UMC, so maybe it could be a nice idea to use the youtube channel (wich doesn't have a lot of videos, and most of them are trailers) or another youtube chanel to make video tutorials for all these things, from how to play diferent factions to how do draw portraits, or even programing tutorials in general, oriented to ai behavior and game develophment, wich could atract a wide variaty of people, expanding the wesnoth comunity.
I personaly think this on itself would be a cool type of trailer, given that a large apeal of the game its the fact that it is open sourced and each can make their own content, it also helps fund the game if the tutorials get a lot of views, i guess this is really a pitch for a more active youtube channel in general, although the tutorial format does seem to have potential. Also i have found some wesnoth lets-plays on youtube but not any tutorials and the reason i have looked is because im personally interested in watching them, i think that is the same for a lot of people and there would be an apeal for this type of content in youtube.
it would be expanding the proyect (if this worked) a lot, managing a youtube channel with lots of content creators would be tricky, im basically thinking of it as making a new type of umc, where comunity members make their own videos depending on what they can contribute, and someone aproves the tutorial to go on the chanel.
i dont know if this idea is any good but maybe some version of this could work, please let me know what you guys think. :)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: video tutorials

Post by Pentarctagon »

There is currently viewtopic.php?t=55733, though nobody has taken taken us up on that so far.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ChrundleTheGreat

Post by ChrundleTheGreat »

Pentarctagon wrote: July 19th, 2023, 9:29 pm There is currently viewtopic.php?t=55733, though nobody has taken taken us up on that so far.
i still think this would be a little diferent, and maybe worth an post of its own atempting to organize the proyect (if you think its worth it). i think user made content promotion wont get as many views on youtube as an art/programing tutorioal migth, i think its more engaging and has a wider apeal.
currently the channel has a very limiting format for a specific type of video, and i dont think that is the type of video that works the best on youtube (i also dont think its the one most people here could be interested in making), instead i see a lot of drawing chanels (both, tutorials and simply people showing their work), programing advice, and lets plays, we could publish a lot of videos of this format: guided lets plays of the game explaining how to play it, artist sharing their process, and programing and level design advice. The art and programing tutorials even though they are made for the game, could still be really useful and atractive to people who dont play and maybe dont want to play wesnoth, but even then the channel can get more views potentialy atracting more people to the game.
Also for many people here a good trailer migth be harder to make than a good tutorial, the "script" could be borrowed from existing tutorials, for people who want to help and get involved but dont know, or lack the skills to make a diferent type of contribution. i know it migth sound similar to the vision of the current channel but i think the diferences can make it work better.
LienRag

Post by LienRag »

Peertube rather than Youtube, if one wants to be coherent with FOSS values...