10. Dark Sanctuary

Feedback for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

10. Dark Sanctuary

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Vendrick

Re: 10. Dark Sanctuary

Post by Vendrick »

(1) Invasion, 1.18
(2) 6
(3) Clear
(4) The writing for the campaign is still pretty good. The conflict between Dacyn and Owaec makes the scenario design feel natural. Ravan's journal entries are also good. Dacyn's sarcastic deflection giving way to a moment of sincerity before taking the amulet is a highlight.
(5) Not getting Owaec killed.
(6) 8
(7)
I don't normally like Wesnoth dungeon crawls but this one is quite good. Owaec's defence adds some tactical interest and natural time pressure to the scenario. The sanctuary itself feels lived-in and the exploration is meaningful.

My strategy was botched. I remembered the replay being much worse than it is, but it is still quite bad. The Orc crossbowmen hit the gym for 1.18 but they uh... should have have gone to Specsavers. This is the first scenario where the expected value for damage taken was significantly negative and decisively so.
Might have been better and cheaper to sacrifice some fresh L1 Loyalist recruits and have less corpses. (This is where having an L2 bowman with the radiant quiver would have been really useful.) Owaec could have been killed multiple times which is just bad play.

Inside, obviously the level 1 units are less gold efficient but I was a little concerned by how thin my recall list was. Levelling another was White Mage was worth it, less sure on the Dune infantry.
Leaving Dacyn 2 experience away from an AMLA is a cheap exploit for the next level.
It should be possible to finish early enough to avoid fighting most of the second wave of orcs, but I didn't succeed at that either.

Full Campaign Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Starting gold: 500
Ending gold: 495 (realistically should have been lower)
Attachments
EI-Dark Sanctuary replay 20240408-141228.gz
(80.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet