Include tutorial hints on easy level?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Blackbeard

Include tutorial hints on easy level?

Post by Blackbeard »

After reading the backlog on the Konrad campaign in easy mode, I wonder if it might be better to include hints in the scenarios themselves, rather than point newbies to read XXX, or trying to strike a balance between easy and mediuml and still get newbies through.

In the first scenario, for example, if Konrad is still in his castle on turn 3, display a dialog suggesting he move North, or get moving, or something similar. Provide other tips about checking enemy terrain modifiers, what units to recruit, or using friendly units as cover.

I expect some players will find the hints annoying after the 3rd scenario, but easy can be a tutorial in its own right. The later scenarios can use hints sparingly to offer basic tactics, such as using ZoC to hold the squid in the crossing scenario and explaining how to range attack non-ranged units.

In this way only the hints need to be adjusted based on player feedback, rather than reassing the whole campaign. Other campaigns might offer similar hints on easy level, too. This should cut down on tutorial material and make playing/developing easier for everyone.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

This is a good idea. It probably wouldn't be too hard to allow a 'tutorial mode' where the scenario designer can provide hints for the player in certain situations.

I'd imagine it should only be active for the first few scenarios though.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Great Idea! Most commercial games that I've played that include such a mode are often easier for me to learn the finer points of. I don't think there should be an arbitrary cut off point, but certainly a lot less info later on. But the info you get later on should be more detailed and theoretical (strategic suggestions for instance).