Mac Campaign Editor???

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:

Would you use a Mac Campaign Editor?

Yes
36%
No
18%
Maybe
12%
Mac, what's a Mac???
33%

Total votes: 33

Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Hmmm... could you try redoing the loyalist campaign and if it fails again, PM me the console output... just until you see the main screen?
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I'm sorry iff my precviouss message was misssleading. The loyalist campaign is install fine and doesn't prevent BfW to run nor to play the loyalist campaign...the only problem is that theleader is not visible (but stil there) . I tracked the problem to the human-sergeant.png picture that seems corrupted. I just now manually installed the picture from the original download and it works fine. Hpwever I ddon't know how the file corruption occured. The file was not reccognize anymore as a picture by any picture viewing software I tried.
In case of mmy ammpaign I suppose the error is from me even though I initially took the files from the loyalist campaign as template to make mine.
What I don't underrstand is why a wrong campaign file would block the whole game from starting. If the game was working but not my campaign it would be acceptable. I'm going to remove my files one by one from BfW till I find the faulty one...but this have to wait monday since the files are in my other computer.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

A new interface preview is now available at http://www.fairydreams.co.uk/editor.dmg

This one actually has a little code behind it :D

The following function, sort of:

* Multiple scenarios. Add scenario functions, remove doesn't yet. Each scenario has an independent map.

* Rename scenarios (double-click on scenario)

* Edit map for each scenario. Place terrain and change size only.

* Import standard map files (have fun creating 20 scenarios then loading and editing 20 maps at the same time ;-) )

* export to a standard map files

What I know is flaky:

* cursor focus in map editor. The cursor stops tracking after selecting a terrain. Just click on a map border (black) or in the map (thus placing the terrain) to see it again.

What is correct but might seem odd

* Keeps are replaced by grass. This is a placeholder for when sides are dealt with properly.

Comments welcomed :D
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Christophe33 wrote:I tried adding my campaign in development to BfW 0.7 and the automatic file download seemed to work but then BfW doesn't work at all. It starts theen quit immediatly, even before displaying the first window. I tried to find what is the faulty file(s) but it is not that easy since there is no uninstall.
Wesnoth attempts to load all configuration files as a single document. If there is a problem in any file, it will likely make the entire document an invalid WML tree, and stop the program from loading.

Wesnoth will output the problems encountered onto standard error. I'm not sure how you can access standard error on OSX. I have made a change in CVS to make it also print the main error message as a dialog box on screen before exiting.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Standard error is the Console application, but for most users a dialog is an excellent addition :D
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I track down the problem to the file for my first scenario. If I remove it it works and I can even see my campaign name in the list..but can't play it. I haven't found yet waht is wrong in the scenario. I have changed a few thing I was thinking could be wrong but it still not work.... I will have to look some more.
For this scenario the map includes both cave/cavewall and outdoor but I don't think it should make any problem.Right now the setting is with normal day-night cycle. I wanted to check out the map t first before asking Dave for the feature allowing different day/night or underground effect on the same map as discussed some time ago.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

one problem i found in scenarios that is annoying beyond belief is if you have quotes and do not close them it does not work. i suggest going through the file and making sure that wherever you enclose something in quotes, you have two quotes, not one or three.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:one problem i found in scenarios that is annoying beyond belief is if you have quotes and do not close them it does not work. i suggest going through the file and making sure that wherever you enclose something in quotes, you have two quotes, not one or three.
Do note that now (in CVS and I think in 0.7) it will print warning messages to stderr if it finds square brackets in quoted sections. This almost always means that you have forgotten to close quotes. Look for those warning messages to diagnose if you didn't terminate a string.

Note also that it's impossible for Wesnoth to automatically detect or recover from this perfectly, since there are many legitimate cases of strings going over multiple lines.

I guess we could extend WML to allow something like single-quoted strings which don't go over more than one line.

Note also that unless your text is going over more than one line, you don't usually need to use quotes at all.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

I wonder, would it be possible to scan files on import for

* campaign only

* broken syntax

Then ignore the whole file for bad syntax (rather than crashing / wrecking everything). Also by only loading campaign tags you would have the list of campaigns, but crash inspiring syntax would be more clearly linked to a campaign as the crash would occur then.

Perhaps also ring-fencing the core scenario info from added so that de-installation was easier and overwriting unlikely. This could be having "user-defined" subfolders for the data items, or better yet the old all-campaign-files-in-one-folder method for campaigns.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I found my main mistake wasa missing [side] used to define a side in the scenario. Then I was able to somewhat go further and BfW displayed me a redeable error message linked to a problem with finding my leader file. The install system from Sithrandel end up counterproductive in that case since I managed yet to purge a bad scenario file. Even reinstalling BfW doesn't do it. So I ende up with 3 versions of my scenario...they add to each other every time I reinstall (even with the overwrite option). Then I got the introduction to work (full of typos) but crash BfW when it is supposed to load the map. Since trying the map alone in multiplayer also crash BfW it seems that it contains a serious mistake. I don't know if it is the combination cave-outddoor setting (t should not) or if I forgot characters that are not part of the present list of characters.
Anyway, it might be usefull to keep isolated scenario in developped by beginners like me.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

The current install system does have a bug or two in it. I have removed those I have found and that will be included in the next binary.

Once it is working as it should, it will function identically to doing it by hand, i.e. you would do as much damage doing it by hand as automatically.

One side effect of the campaign editor is I have a WML parsing module which pics up unbalanced tags. It would be possible to run this on any .cfg file encountered and check for non-closed tags before installing. This would, however, slow things down at (re-)install launching and would only check for tag balance and not syntax per se.

The best thing would certainly be to partition installed from core files.

It is also worth pointing out that one of the eventual goals of the campaign editor is to ensure that all produced campaigns are correct and won't crash the system (excluding of course the user-defined WML tags). This would make the it easier for novices to get working campaigns, but still retain a large degree of flexibility. Experts will always be better off with direct editing of the code.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

The scenario editor works now after being laced in the same folder than BfW. Map import doesn't always work perfectly. It seems to have problem to handle map wider than 50 hex. Alsothe map editing is impaired by the small size of the window, the impossibility to zoom in and out and the fact that you have to click each time to add a terrain hex.
Suggested changes: zoom in and out, bigger window (or variable size), a minimap? at the very least making the apparent size twice smaller will help.
Possibility to "paint" with terrains as long as you maintain the click or using right click (command click).
Copy-paste would be great to duplicate some area but it is probably more difficult.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

[Looks like the flame bait got deleted]
Last edited by Sangel on April 3rd, 2004, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Sangel wrote:Err... what exactly was the point of that post, if not as flame-bait?
Flame-bait? No that's the post about the dragon :).
The point is to try to get some improvement for the scenario editor. It works and I'm interested in using it more but I would like it developped further, so I write what are the things I think needs to be improve. On my screen nearly half the space is used by a central margin instead of being used for a minimap or the edition map. It might be a problem scecific to my computer or a mistake in a parameter. Right now the window is about 5 hex wide and 7 long.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

I did ask for comments and it was a release with very little code.

Currently sides have been implemented and the focus / import>50 problems solved on the map editor.

I was aware of the zoom issue and had been considering adding the option of x1.0, x0.75, x0.5 and x0.25 zoom. Also considered were the option to open a separate window for the map itself, but that could get confusing flipping back and forth. Possibly click-dragging to paint multiple sections. Zooming will slow redraw down, but might be added soon. The dialog is theoretically resizeable, but that will need quite a bit of tweaking to get the correct behaviour. Such tweaking will come at the end. Another possibility is to add a "fill" button to set all terrain to a given value. I am planning to allow copy-paste of entire maps, but not of sections.

My main plan is to get everything working at a basic level, i.e.:

Add scenarios / sides / basic victory and defeat conditions / draw map / place units / load and save / export campaign to WML.

That way it will be useable for beginners to play with.

Then will come improvements to the map editor and adding user defined units and events.

I think it is worth highlighting that the editor has not been under development for long and I'm only giving it moments here and there. Don't expect it to be bug free :D

I am looking for any comments, mainly on the layout of the interface and whether or not there are any major features things I am missing (e.g. I realised the map editor needed to be modified for difficulty levels).

Thanks

Sithrandel