Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dave
Founding Developer

New Icons?

Post by Dave »

I think that the unit display would be easier to read if it involved more icons and less text. Would it be possible to create small (around 16x16) icons for the following?

- all special abilities - heals,cures,leadership,marksman,magical,charge,etc
- the six basic types of attack - impact,blade,pierce,holy,fire, and cold

Any volunteers?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

me! 16X16, you say? that is small, so it shouldn't take all that long to do, although it will take long to perfect.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

done with blade, pierce and impact. i'm not completely happy with them. each of them took about 5 minutes, so i won't care if you hate them.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

On the shift from text to icons, I'm a little worried that some icons might not be obvious as to what they are supposed to represent, especially if they are so small. A 16x16 charge icon for example, it seems like an awefully small area to show a horse charging.

But seperate from artists' skills (and I know that we have good enough artists that we can get some great icons) I like having the names of the abilities, I don't want to have to memorize tons of icons to figure out which ability is which. With weapon attacks I suppose that the icons could be self-evident, but with some of the more complex abilities I'm not so sure.

But to undercut my argument, if you do need ability icons, I did two a while ago for ambush and nightstalk. These are 20x20, and I think that the slightly bigger size might be useful when drawing abilities.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

these are for attack TYPES, not individual attacks, which means there are only 6 of them. here they are, gipped.
The World of Orbivm
cedric

Post by cedric »

quartex wrote:I like having the names of the abilities, I don't want to have to memorize tons of icons to figure out which ability is which. With weapon attacks I suppose that the icons could be self-evident, but with some of the more complex abilities I'm not so sure.
I will add a "me too" here. Icons can be a nice addition, but for some abilities it will be difficult to come up with something straightforward. Texts don't take so much space.

--
Cédric
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

If "no-text descriptions" was something that could be turned on/off in the preferences then I could see it. I would still want to have tool-tips...