Heavy knight with plate armor
No votes
I don't like these / propose another
No votes

Total votes: 19

cobretti

Image for Grand Knight/Heavy Knight

Post by cobretti »

Select what is your preferred image for the new level 3 upgrade of the knight. The images are fmunoz's original Image, the hybrid version Image and the plated one Image

(EDIT) After adapting the hybrid version to sword instead of warhammer, here are the variations. You should say what variation do you like, if you choose the hybrid one.
Last edited by cobretti on April 1st, 2004, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The hybrid, I think, otherwise it looks too similar to the Paladin. Just one question, though - could the plume be redone using an alpha mask? I think you could make it "softer" that way.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

the hybrid is my vote also, but i think a plate armor helmet for the horse would look good. the whole horse should not be covered in plates, but a plate on its head in between the eyes would be good.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I agree, The horse needs a face plate (that matches the knights armor color). I'm also kinda partial to fmunoz's helmet.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I don't think the Grand Knight should have a warhammer for a weapon -- he should have a sword and lance. If he has a warhammer (impact) it makes his weapon good against undead, which makes him closer to a Paladin. We want a contrast between Paladin and Grand Knight, and thus I think a sword is a better chioce.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i actually think that fmunoz's image looks better, but i voted for the hybrid because i want to see the advancement NOT holding a lance. i prefer fmunoz's mhelmet, but i like how the hybrid is holding the warhammer. change the hammer to a sword and it will be good.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Maybe I should try to use cobretti image to change mine and create a new hibrid...
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

I liked Fmunoz's the most, the rider and the horse on the Hybrid clash to much in my opinion. Also I dislike the hammer it seems to be an odd weapon to use riding horseback.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I thought a warhammer was a nice alternate to a lance/sword but Dave is right that gameplay issues may require a shift to a sword. Paladins are great anti-undead, and an impact warhammer attack would make the heavy rider have a similar role. At the same time I would like to see a horseman than isn't using a lance, to differentiate it from the knight/paladin.

I'm stongly against the metal faceplate for the horse becuase it obscures the face, you can't see the horse's eyes. Fmunoz's helmet is a nice attempt to replicate a medieval design, but in such a small scale it looks too much like bunny ears to me.

I think the solution is to take the yellow heavy rider and exchange the warhammer for a big honkin' sword. Some riders have used warhammers, such as the knights in Warcraft I, but I guess a lighter sword makes more sense.
ahwayakchih

My vote for GrandKnight by fmunoz

Post by ahwayakchih »

I voted on fmunoz' GrandKnight because it brings mythical knight to my mind.
I mean, if You want more change between levels, maybe take lance away from "normal" Knight? It seems strange to take it away from "better" unit, because lance was very hard to use and even harder to use it well (from what i've heard - i never tried it ;)). Don't know why (probably because of watching too many movies ;), but i think that "best" knights should use lance, and rest should be just ordinary (ie. more real-world like, than legendary :)) knights using easier to master weapons mostly.
IMHO GrandKnight is a knight who fought many times, people heard about him, many call him hero and tell stories about his great victories with hell's beasts. He is so good in fighting that he can actually fight using lance (would You, or any sane person, ride with lance into enemies? after, luckly, killing one or two of them they would round You, and kill You faster than it takes to drop broken lance and take shorter weapon ;)).
Si, IMHO, GrandKnight should be one of those legendary knights, not real-life knight, and that's why fmunoz picture suites best.
Circon

Post by Circon »

I vote for fmunoz' original one... as soon as you de-elf the ears.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Circon wrote:I vote for fmunoz' original one... as soon as you de-elf the ears.
what do you mean? the ears are de-elved! maybe it looks like the horns or whatever are. they're not, but i can see how you think they are.
The World of Orbivm
Combatjuan

Post by Combatjuan »

My vote goes for the origian as well. Both the lance and the bright armor and colors make the knight seem more "grand". Additionally, it seems like piercing damage would be best for balance issues. Neat graphics.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Phil. 1:21
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

What about keeping the lance and sword for the grand Knight (so Fmunoz version but without the ears on the helmet)...and give the warhammer to the Paladin (and no lance for him). Lance is a nice for charge...at least against unit who don't have pikes or other piercing weapon. But for close contact ashort weapon is better. Warhammer were really used from horseback and quite efficiently.
Otherwise I would vote for the warhammer for the Grand Knight because the bonus against undead is still far away from the one from holy attack. A good alternate weapon for horseback is the saber because it has a better slashing attack than a sword. Slashing is the main way to use a blade during fight on horseback.
Another way to solve the dilemna is to provide a lvl1 and lvl2 downgrade for the Grand Knight...but that involve more graphic for Cobretti and Fmunoz to compete :).
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Dobob

Post by Dobob »

Christophe33 wrote: Another way to solve the dilemna is to provide a lvl1 and lvl2 downgrade for the Grand Knight...but that involve more graphic for Cobretti and Fmunoz to compete :).
Or make three lvl3 units to upgrade from the knight :
- Paladin (holy attack and heal)
- Grand Knight (strongest, sword and lance)
- Heavy Knight (warhammer, most resistance)

It will make the knight a very special unit upgrade-wise, but it shouldn't be too hard to balance and it would use both Cobretti and Fmunoz graphics.