Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dave
Founding Developer

Cursor Images

Post by Dave »

I have just implemented support for Wesnoth to have custom mouse cursors. These come in two varieties -- black and white SDL native cursors that usually run with hardware support (thus fast), and colour custom-coded cursors that may run slower (but obviously look nicer).

I have done some tests, and on my machine, it's difficult to tell the difference in most situations. Anyhow, Wesnoth will support both varieties of cursors, and hence we need graphics for both black and white cursors.

Woodwizzle has already drawn some black and white cursors in this thread: http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... ht=cursors however others are welcome to try to improve on his efforts.

We don't have any colour cursors.

Here is what we need:

- a 'normal' cursor, which is just a regular pointer. The colour version should probably look subtle, but can still look nicer than the regular pointer.
- an 'waiting' cursor, for when the game is busy processing. Probably an hourglass.
- an 'attack' cursor, for when clicking will initiate an attack action. Probably a sword.
- a 'move' cursor, for when clicking will make a unit move. It could be a pair of feet with a pointer, but I tend to think this lacks precision. Perhaps a pointer with a 'tail'/'motion blur'?

The cursors should be in .png format. Animation is currently not supported, but if people really want it, or someone submits really well-done animated cursors, we may support it. The black and white cursors may be in RGB or grayscale, and should have an alpha channel. The only colours they may contain are black (0,0,0), white (255,255,255), and alpha (alpha=0).

The colour cursors should be in RGB, with an alpha channel. The alpha channel is fully supported, and can be used for anti-aliasing purposes, or to create shadows etc.

The cursors may technically be any size, but a size of 16x16 or 24x24 for all cursors is recommended.

Let the submission of cursors begin! :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telex4

Post by telex4 »

For anyone looking to make some themes, there are lots of cursor themes that you can take and adapt here, most of which have been released under the GPL.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

telex4 wrote:For anyone looking to make some themes, there are lots of cursor themes that you can take and adapt here, most of which have been released under the GPL.
Cool, I have used some of these to make a basic set of cursors....until a real artist comes along and gives us a proper set :)
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Here is the beginning of a set. Still gotta do the hourglass.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Here is an hourglass
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Here they are in a steelish blue. Might be easier to see.
Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

Hi!

Just my two cents:
I dont like the hourglass, is too windowsish ...
Better the unix's clock.

I really like the set of cursor of Jimmac(my preferred artist)
Pls take a look(for idea) fot it:
http://jimmac.musichall.cz/i.php3?ikony=71

For the clock I prefer if it would be pretty similar to theses images:

Cheers,
Khiraly
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I think the hourglass has a more mideval feel than those modern cursors.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Woodwizzle wrote:
I think the hourglass has a more mideval feel than those modern cursors.
More medieval? Like a sunclock? :wink:

(just trying to help, don't take it too seriously)
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

As a mac user, an Hourglass does remind me too much of windows, unless it looks very different. Maybe you could have a sun turinging to the moon and back into the sun, or a planet rotating from light to dark. But a spinning dial sounds fine too.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Animation isn't supported and probably won't be, so we can't have anything like spinning planets.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I don't mind the hourglass in and of itself - sure, it has unpleasant connotations of Microsoft, but we're mature enough to handle that, aren't we?

Woodwizzle's first cursor set looks quite good to me.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I like the idea of a sundial...if anyone can make something so small that looks unambiguously like a sundial.

If someone can convince me of the worth of animated cursors by drawing a good set, I will implement them :)

David
Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

Hi!

Im a bit confusing of the new features ...
The mouse cursor is really slow(change the mouse resolution), and sometime have a lag ...
Normally on my sytem if nothing runr(all have freeze, neither the keyboard dont reponds), my mouse pointer work.

Other negative point is, that when night chang at day in the game the mouse pointer color change too.

So if it is possible it would be good to have a switch to turn of the replace of mouse pointer. (wesnoth -nopointer)

That would be good for everyone(who prefer the wesnoth curseor, and the others)

Cheers,
Khiraly
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Khiraly wrote: So if it is possible it would be good to have a switch to turn of the replace of mouse pointer. (wesnoth -nopointer)
Just go into preferences and untick the box which says "Use Color Cursors".

David