Cursor Images

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
llogiq

TIMTOWTDI

Post by llogiq »

I think that both options should be accessible by a runtime argument, since for some ppl with bad, bad video cards, the hardware cursors may not work.

Imagine clicking on a checkbox without seeing the cursor...tricky. :P
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: TIMTOWTDI

Post by Dave »

llogiq wrote:I think that both options should be accessible by a runtime argument, since for some ppl with bad, bad video cards, the hardware cursors may not work.
If the hardware cursors don't work, then such people won't have been able to play Wesnoth up until now, since that's what its been using. I can't imagine they would be able to do almost anything using their computer if hardware cursors don't work.

The new software cursors should always work [1], and if they don't then it's either a bug in the game, or a system problem so serious that it's unlikely the game will be playable at all. Allowing switching off of features by the command line because "the game could have a bug introduced which would make the feature not work" does not seem like a reasonable decision to me.

The software cursors might move slowly, but it is difficult to imagine a machine on which they would run so slowly that they would be unusable, yet the rest of Wesnoth would remain playable.

David

[1] unless some needed data files aren't present, but if needed data files aren't present, then the game is going to be unplayable anyway. To take needed data files away and then expect Wesnoth to continue being playable is clearly unreasonable.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Using a CVS checktout from a moment ago, the colour cursors don't work. I change the option from the preferences menu or in ~/.wesnoth/preferences and Wesnoth delays for a moment, then reverts to the normal cursors, unchecking the option.