Dwarf Images

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
antwerp

Dwarf Images

Post by antwerp »

Splitted tree people to their own thread: http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... php?t=1107

I made a dwarf based on the dwarvish fighter images. I'm new to pixel artwork so, assuming the attachments are here, comments (or revisions :?) are welcome.

Also, maybe a brief rundown on how to add a new unit to the game?
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Why does it remond me of Goldorak ???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

There is some technical problems with the display probably due to the alpha channels and the presence of layers. The red cape doesn't appear till I opened the image with photoshop. Also the alpha channel/picture is mixed up for me making it difficult to edit the picture. If you use multiple layers you better flatten the layers (or merge them) before saving as png. But keep a version with all the layers.
Beside that your dwarf is too tall by 6-7 pixels ... or at least 5 taking in account the helmet.
Two flails is overkill... One is difficult enought to handle without hitting yourself. I prefer hammer but a single flail is OK (keep the right one). You might have to make the chain bigger otherwise it won't be visible when the unit is on a terrain. Give the dwarf a shield for the other arm.
NO HORN on the helmet. You can shave a few pixel by flattening the helmet. No flying cape..anyway it should not be visible since it is a mostly frontal view.
The dwarf needs some coloring with more solid colors.
open the picture from an existing dwarf to use as a reference for size and coloring style. I suppose that this unit is intended to be a third level. But then youhave either to provide the lvl1 and 2 or find it a place on a tree.
I would recommend to start with a simple lvl1 unit to get the hand on it. Then you can work on upgrade. Also if the lvl1 unit is accepted it can be incorporated in the game faster for testing.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Christophe33

Re: doh

Post by Christophe33 »

Anonymous wrote:Boucman:

Dunno who Goldorak is, but that's a good name for him :)
Hay, I feel old... Goldorak was the hero of one of the first series of Japanese cartoon (anime or pre-anime?) to reach Europe (and I suppose USA) at the end of 70's . The huge robot used to fight the evil has huge horn like that.
Anonymous wrote: Chistophe33:
The morning stars and horns are what makes him a real dwarf! And he's a legend because the other dwarves lost an eye in practice. :wink:
What should make him a real dwarf is to be smaller than a human :).
Don't worry I did a similar mistake when trying to fit a bunch of things in so little space. No other dwarf has horns and I don't think they should have any. Horns and spike on armor might look cute (not in that case) but they are worse than useless. If you want to add horns, keep them really small. I would say that he's a legend because he killed himself while practicing with two flails :).
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!