miyo

Post by miyo »

Gafgarion wrote:does that dragon remind anyone else of charizard? :shock:
Indeed, it does.

- Miyo
cedric

Post by cedric »

Gafgarion wrote:does that dragon remind anyone else of charizard? :shock:
Well, since the very moment I saw that dragon, I couldn't stop a feeling of déjà-vu, but did not manage to remember exactly where. Now you point this charizard
thing out, and after some googling, I think that might be the cause.
This could potentially lead to copyright problems... :(

Btw, there was already an unused red dragon drawn:
http://www.geocities.com/fmunoz_/wesnoth/tree.html
--
Cedric
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

There are actualy two things incommon, their both a dragon and both have two spikes on the back of their head.

But as far as it goes, the only base design behind it is the dragon Cedrick just posted.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think that that looks like a rather generic/stereotypical red dragon. Unless the image itself was copied, I don't see how it could possibly lead to copyright issues.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Dave wrote:I think that that looks like a rather generic/stereotypical red dragon. Unless the image itself was copied, I don't see how it could possibly lead to copyright issues.

David
We could always have Konrad start using Pokeballs 8) "I choose you Delfadorchu!"
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Ave

Post by Ave »

Changing the color to green or blue will break the resemblance except if the image was truly copied.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Colour pallette is the same as my old dragon... I'll check the sprite I dont want to that others make the same mistake as me.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

The problem I have with a dragon is there's no way we can make it suitably impressive while sticking within the constraints of a single hex. No offence guys, but your dragons look... well... cute.

A dragon should look big and fierce and dangerous, and have the stats to match. I've already encountered this problem with the Sea Serpent - it looks fairly small, but it's actually a huge monster.

Unless the code is heavily reworked, I can't really see a way around this.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Artistically it may be difficult to show a huge or gargantuan unit in a 1 hex square, but it has been argued to each hex represents 1 mile area, so it wouldn't make sense for a unit to fill two hexes. The only way a unit would fill more than one hex would be if it represented a really small area (like 10 feet). And of course dealing with movement costs and defense from the terrain you are on would all be broken if a unit filled several hexes. I think the best idea to keep the 1 hex for 1 unit rule, but make powerful units look impressive not by making them huge, but by improving their artwork to make them look really bad-ass.