Faction Based GUI

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Besides a texture, what else do people suggest? Or, to make it quicker to narrow down what si wanted exactly which of the following options is preferred: (Brighter textures seem to be the general consensus so I won't add them below)

1. Just texture

2. Texture and 'scrollwork suggesting foliage' (Not the five minute one i have on my roughs)

3. Texture and realistic foliage

4. Other (Please explain)

5. No texture, a background color fitting with the faction, and scrollwork suggesting whatever needed
Last edited by Pic on August 19th, 2006, 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Other (and this is for all factions, not just elves): No texture, a background color fitting with the faction, and scrollwork suggesting foliage/horseheads/mountains/skulls/whatever. Look at the current theme - it doesn't have a texture, it's just a solid block of color. Basically, I think all the themes should be similar to it, but a slightly different background color, different highlight colors, and a subtle scrollwork.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

I'm adding Turins good suggestion to my makeshift poll thing. It is also the one with my vote.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Kestenvarn wrote:
  • Don't like the fact that you made the border thick enough to remove the margin and touch the letters.
  • The grey-green used for the background is incredibly ugly.
  • Those designs at the bottom look cheap and draw too much attention.
There is a good way to go about this - that is NOT it. Thin, stylized borders and a subtle background should be about as far as this goes.
I agree with Kestenvarn.
However, one thing I do like is that the unit sprite doesn't have a black box around it. Looks better for some reason.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Vote police: You have to choose Zhukov! (well, you don't, but i'll nag)

1. Just texture

2. Texture and 'scrollwork suggesting foliage' (Not the five minute one i have on my roughs)

3. Texture and realistic foliage

4. Other (Please explain)

5. No texture, a background color fitting with the faction, and scrollwork suggesting whatever needed
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

turin wrote:Look at the current theme - it doesn't have a texture, it's just a solid block of color.
Not exactly. There is a slight "grainy" texture, for lack of a better word. Although it is very subtle, you would miss it if it weren't there.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sapient wrote:
turin wrote:Look at the current theme - it doesn't have a texture, it's just a solid block of color.
Not exactly. There is a slight "grainy" texture, for lack of a better word. Although it is very subtle, you would miss it if it weren't there.
Ah, you're right. OK, then: the themes should have subtle enough textures to have it be mistakeable for no texture. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Dragon Master wrote:What's with the celtic style designs pic? I nice leafy color for elves would be nice, a BRIGHT leafy color.
I prefer the celtic designs. Adding leaf-like motifs into the celtic designs would also be nice; but remember, our elves, like tolkien's, are heavily inspired by the sidhe/faerie myths.

Really, I'd like _all_ the elves to have a significant amount of celtic influence in their interface appearance.
Pic wrote:2. Texture and 'scrollwork suggesting foliage' (Not the five minute one i have on my roughs)
Try this, first.
Turin wrote:Ah, you're right. OK, then: the themes should have subtle enough textures to have it be mistakeable for no texture.
Perhaps not this far, but yes, textures should be very subtle, especially when text will overlay them.

And they must also be dark where text overlays them. Again, this is for readability.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Jetryl wrote: Really, I'd like _all_ the elves to have a significant amount of celtic influence in their interface appearance.
Yey!
By the way, I vote number 2.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Jetryl wrote:Perhaps not this far, but yes, textures should be very subtle, especially when text will overlay them.
You have to remember, I said that because I couldn't, and still can't, tell that the current menu has a texture (it looks like a solid color block to me). The basic idea is - don't make it much, if any, more noticeable than it already is. :)
The World of Orbivm
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Why is this something that requires voting? We didn't vote on the new attack buttons and other graphics... just used common sense/developer advice...
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Because I want to clear up the things i am unclear on and asking what people would prefer gives me a better general idea of what people...prefer. The vote pinpoints the things I am unclear on (I.e. Textures and any other additions.)

For instance, comments that contain critique so far have been leaning towards saying what they don't like, and not a clear direction to work towards. (Well, this dosn't apply to the recent ones, the last few have been very useful)

It's not a poll, it's an information gathering exercise.

The more information I obtain, the less trial and error is involved and the less of people’s time is wasted.

[Edit] That was directed to Kestenvarn btw (also edited spelling) [/edit]
Last edited by Pic on August 19th, 2006, 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

I prefer the celtic designs. Adding leaf-like motifs into the celtic designs would also be nice; but remember, our elves, like tolkien's, are heavily inspired by the sidhe/faerie myths.

Really, I'd like _all_ the elves to have a significant amount of celtic influence in their interface appearance.

Pic wrote:

Try this, first.
Will do, i can always make the designs celtic but yet try for a softer feel to them (makesense?) the scrollwork was a quickie anyway.

I agree with the border being to thick.

Before i start, ideas for colours? Green and gold? Green and silver? ( I suppose for elves, green is a must) Green and....darker green?
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Try dark teal and silver.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Pic wrote:Before i start, ideas for colours? Green and gold? Green and silver? ( I suppose for elves, green is a must) Green and....darker green?
Green is NOT a must for elves. It could work well, but it is not strictly necessary. Think outside of the box.

For a great example, many of the elves in the LotR movies didn't run around dressed in green, and yet they looked very elvish despite that. Also, remember that brown and grey are almost as prominent of forest colors as green is.