battlestar

Sylph

Post by battlestar »

Or however it's spelt.

Portrait.
Attachments
slyph.jpg
slyph.jpg (91.79 KiB) Viewed 6696 times
Last edited by battlestar on March 4th, 2007, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

wow very impressive :D
I like it! Very clean and well-drawn! Any chance of it getting coloured? :D
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Great stuff. Areas which might be improved:
*Arms
*Hands
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

There is something odd with the positioning of her left hand, but wow!

P.S. "Sylph".

[EDIT] P.P.S Impressively L3 looking!
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

I'll refine the hands... can you elaborate a little more on arm? thanks.

...and yeah, once everything is fixed up I'll get around to color all the portraits i'm doing.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

The left arm is just stuck out in space like a mannequin. It's very static and doesn't seem to flow naturally from the pose.

I see nothing wrong with the right arm.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Proper stuff, but few issues:
  • The braid in front of a face looks awkward. When a heavy thing like that hits the face, the instictive response is to sweep it off. If you want to cover some of the face (which is a bit strange, this is supposed to be a portrait after all) whith the hair, I would suggest using free-flowing strands instead.
  • There seems to be some wind, but the magic flame in the hand doesn't flow with it. Maybe magic flames don't do that, but it does make it look inconsistent.
  • The legs look sort of disconnected from the body. I think it's because the skirt around the pelvis doesn't reveal any of it's contours. It doesn't really look like there's anything filling the skirt between the legs and the torso.
  • The upper end of the sleeve on the left arm is lower than on the right. It really wouldn't even hold up that low, because the thinnest point of the upper arm is higher.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

-changed to show face, it was originally an instantaneous capture kind of portrait, if showing face is better, doesn't bother me, more comfortable showing the face anyhow :)

-changed, good point

-changed, but I'm not sure about the outcome, now you can see the entire hip contour but now she's squeezing part of the skirt between her leg... ... suggestions?

-changed, good catch.

Oh about the arm, I think i can do something to the hand to make the arm look better. I do prefer not redoing something like an arm... if it's not necessary >.>
Kalis

Post by Kalis »

took a 2nd look, and here's 1 suggestion
- the angle of the portrait is such that I believe a small part of the bottom right wing needs to be shown, similar to how the top right part is drawn in. Similarly, part of the upper right arm might need to be shown.
Hold your arm in that position, and look at yourself in the mirror. The upper arm is generally there, unless you hold it in a very unnatural position
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I reiterate the remarks about the braid in front of her face looking strange. It isn't just that she would brush it off almost immediately - it's that it isn't flowing correctly. It looks like it is being blown the same way as the other braid, but if that were the case, it would be behind the face, not in front of it.

Other than that - looks pretty awesome. You clearly have talent.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Now that I look again, two more issues:
  • The pose has a bad leanback. I've rotated it to bring the spine about upright, and it looks more balanced (the the direction of the legs could be udjusted, and perhaps the head too, or only the eyes, to make her look higher)
  • The breasts could use slightly more gravity. They are just a bit too perky for a pre-wonderbra technological era.
Attachments
slyph_211.jpg
slyph_211.jpg (74.85 KiB) Viewed 6527 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The "leanback" looks fine to me - remember, she's not standing on the ground, she's flying.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

turin wrote:The "leanback" looks fine to me - remember, she's not standing on the ground, she's flying.
I'd tend to agree. The leanback looks ok to me, since it emphasizes that she's actually doing something with those wings (whatever exactly it is). Anyway, I don't think it's a big issue either way.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:
  • The breasts could use slightly more gravity. They are just a bit too perky for a pre-wonderbra technological era.
Didn't corsets have a similar effect though? (I assume that she's wearing a corset, I may be wrong)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Corsets did that, but afaik, they were very impractical for women, so i highly doubt a Sylph (Elven, forest-related, and a fighter) would wear one.
Then again, RPGs have long ago abandoned any realism when it comes to women's breasts, in order to maximize their appeal to the male population ^^
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.