Sylph

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The "leanback" looks fine to me - remember, she's not standing on the ground, she's flying.
The problem is, in that case she should actually be leaning forward.
Didn't corsets have a similar effect though? (I assume that she's wearing a corset, I may be wrong)
Only if we are talking about very modern corsets. Corsets of Ye Olde were actually quite tubular, and they either ended below the breasts, popped them up by squeezing the lower half flat, or pretty much flattened them altogether. Couple of pics:

Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:
The "leanback" looks fine to me - remember, she's not standing on the ground, she's flying.
The problem is, in that case she should actually be leaning forward.[/img]
Unless she just flapped her wings so that the motion is actually pulling her backwards a bit, right?
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Groovy I see your point and it's a good one too, I'll keep in mind to have the physics work too in the future drawings, it's actually something important I sort of neglected, being first time experimenting with this kind of detailing. But as for this picture the physics is whacky anyway. There's just no way for insect-like wings to support flight for something that heavy, at least need 4 times the size of current wings and proper skeletal structure support, that'd look somewhat odd. Maybe we can overlook this if it's not that bad.

and yes if she did what zookeeper suggested it could end up in that body position... and the hair is totally off to the wrong side in that case lol. But unless there's a gust of wind towards the right and she's riding on it.

... and breasts... hmm I'm pretty confused what people want to see changed on it.

working on getting the revised version scanned in.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

battlestar wrote:There's just no way for insect-like wings to support flight for something that heavy, at least need 4 times the size of current wings and proper skeletal structure support, that'd look somewhat odd.
Hey, it's magic.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

I'm going to try to convey that as much as possible on the wings when i color it.
Gus

Post by Gus »

zookeeper wrote:
battlestar wrote:There's just no way for insect-like wings to support flight for something that heavy, at least need 4 times the size of current wings and proper skeletal structure support, that'd look somewhat odd.
Hey, it's magic.
If she can use her magic to float, she can use it so that her breasts don't fall as much as they should... Coquette Sylph ^^
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:[*] The breasts could use slightly more gravity. They are just a bit too perky for a pre-wonderbra technological era.
She's flying. ie. she's not beholden to gravity. :)

She's also an elf, and preternatural beauty is one of their schticks. Their biology is presumably subtly different to human.

[EDIT] Note: Not saying that her breasts should be that perky - just that it's entirely reasonable if you want to leave them that way.

re: the braid, I think it's just fine flapping in her face - people learn to cope with some insanely stupid hairstyles. But it looks like itshould be wrapping around where it connects with her face rather than just lying flat.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Wow, this looks pretty good. If you can cell-shade this, we could have a game-worthy portrait on our hands. Try to match the style Jason Lutes used, if you would (c.f. all the human portraits).

irrevenant wrote:
Sgt. Groovy wrote:[*] The breasts could use slightly more gravity. They are just a bit too perky for a pre-wonderbra technological era.
She's flying. ie. she's not beholden to gravity. :)

She's also an elf, and preternatural beauty is one of their schticks. Their biology is presumably subtly different to human.

[EDIT] Note: Not saying that her breasts should be that perky - just that it's entirely reasonable if you want to leave them that way.
Just for the record, her breasts should be that perky. Sagging is one of those unfortunate things we* wish breasts didn't do, and we can just pretend it doesn't happen. Someday, with good genetic engineering, it might not happen in the real world, either - certainly, there is a subset of real women right now for whom it largely doesn't happen. Lucky #@*%&.

*inclusive of females, who seem to express the same sentiment
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

This portrait is fantastic, I love the pose.

I just wanna say though, that I like Jetryl's painterly portraits more than the Lute's cell-shaded style. Why not color it like Konrad and Lisar's portraits?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Cellshade or paintershade eitherway I'd love to color it. Gotta admit though I'm not all that great with coloring right now, it's not like I don't know what to do... more like I don't know what to do to do what I want to do. Been looking around on the internet for how to cell-shade and haven't exactly found a clear cut instruction on that yet. A point of finger to some resource on that would be much much appreciated :)
longhair

Post by longhair »

Let me put in for moving the braid away from the face. It's not so much that it looks unrealistic, it's that it just draws my eye there in trying to figure out what is going on. The Maybe if the braid were longer it would help.

Regarding her left arm, is seems to be fine to me but there is something in the way that her fingers are splayed out that doesn't quite look right either. Maybe once you're done with the shading, it will look fine.

Regarding her shape, I wouldn't change a thing. Overall, it's a nice piece of artwork, and she's quite beautiful.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

version 2
Attachments
sylph.jpg
sylph.jpg (99.87 KiB) Viewed 4141 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Mostly an improvement, but IMHO the new face is really not very good. It is out of proportion, her expression is just... weird, and it is much too anime-ish. I think you need to redo, again, all the parts that were covered by the removed braid...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Gus

Post by Gus »

I agree, the face isn't up to the quality of the rest of the drawing (ie: great).
Hard work may pay off in the long run, but laziness always pays off right away.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Make the outside of her eyes more round, the left part of the mouth (left in the picture) and the chin and she'll look much less demonic then right now. I guess for a nice chin you'll need more then one line or at least a good shading when colouring to give it nice contours. Those sharp edges don't fit with the overall impression of the image IMHO.
Last edited by torangan on March 5th, 2007, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!