My new wose for my campaign...

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
<ShadowPaladin>

My new wose for my campaign...

Post by <ShadowPaladin> »

I'm trying to make some units for my campaign: The Revenge of the Wose. And currently I'm trying to make a "Wose" hero for the main storyline. I've tried to create a new one (copy and pasting) but I wonder if anyone can help me make it look more unique *or* u can just said it's ok and I'll be happy :D
Attachments
new wose.PNG
new wose.PNG (3.03 KiB) Viewed 5573 times
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

A question, why for god's sake does a tree need a wooden shield and a club? Like it didn't have enough wood or branches already :P

It looks bloody ridiculous, and even with WINR rule I can't imagine it, it's not sane enough.

If you really need a 'hero' wose, make the tree look older, or otherwise unique. Copypasting weapons and (god forbid) armor won't do :P
Walking Bore

Post by Walking Bore »

It looks good and professional and nice to me, but it looks a lot like the Wose unit. That's fine, but it might lead to confusion.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
<ShadowPaladin>

That's what I need help on. Cause I couldn't imagine making older... I could make its eyes kinda yellowish and bright so it look like something holyness (<- Is this a word?). Or I could makes leaves grow from its arm (kinda like a ring). But it's so hard though, so many colors :cry:
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Check unit images at The Rise of Wesnoth Campaign, there is lvl3 wose sprite there. Take it as a base, maybe change some leaves to silver colour, put some damp dark green on the trunk (moss and other stuff) and make the bark shade darker.
<ShadowPaladin>

I'll try my best. I've just learnt basic GIMP so it would take a long time. Thanks for the idea though.
EDIT: Wow, i made it really quick - and choppy at the same time
Attachments
omfg.png
omfg.png (7.09 KiB) Viewed 5547 times
BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl »

<ShadowPaladin> wrote:I'll try my best. I've just learnt basic GIMP so it would take a long time. Thanks for the idea though.
EDIT: Wow, i made it really quick - and choppy at the same time
Too much green, hes supposed to have mold on him, not be MADE of mold.

Anyway, i think to make him unique, you must create a unique look for him that isn't just color. Im suggesting thorns, adding flowers, adding different kinds of fruit, adding a weapon (no armor though, it wouldnt suit).

Keep it going though, you dont have to instantly get these, practice other things if these are too hard; let them be long term goals.

Gj though.
<ShadowPaladin>

Just fixed it again. And again I screwed up the color, but I gave him a thorny elbow and some mold, gave him darker color too. Is this better?
Attachments
omfg.png
omfg.png (7.34 KiB) Viewed 5532 times
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Better, consider making white bark (forgot the tree name in english, beech?) while leaving moss as it is or making it sligtly more abundant. Maybe make the beard longer. Your idea with distinctive glowing eyes is good as well. Make 'fingers' longer and sharper (clawlike). Should do the trick.
<ShadowPaladin>

I wonder if i should change the leaves color cause I screw up really bad on the coloring bad (white beard while other part are greenish) so I think I may not do it at all...
BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl »

<ShadowPaladin> wrote:Just fixed it again. And again I screwed up the color, but I gave him a thorny elbow and some mold, gave him darker color too. Is this better?
The leaves definitely need to be more silver, that would be a big improvement.
You did a good job on the mold though
The thorn elbow is awesome; exactly the type of thing i was thinking of.
This is looking awesome now.
<ShadowPaladin>

Yayaya, my next fix. Change the "beard" color back to normal. Add the eye of "holyness" (<-is that's a word, anyone?). Add a gem to the forehead. The sharp claw's hard for me too make, since I can't do it unless i make it longer which will make it look kinda strange. I'm currently thinking of giving it a BIG club (a bigger version of the troll's). If you have any other idea for weapon. Plz tell me :D
Attachments
omfg.png
omfg.png (7.99 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl »

<ShadowPaladin> wrote:Yayaya, my next fix. Change the "beard" color back to normal. Add the eye of "holyness" (<-is that's a word, anyone?). Add a gem to the forehead. The sharp claw's hard for me too make, since I can't do it unless i make it longer which will make it look kinda strange. I'm currently thinking of giving it a BIG club (a bigger version of the troll's). If you have any other idea for weapon. Plz tell me :D
Dont make them longer, just make the claws pointier; i.e. just add a few pixels to the end to give them a sharp look. I dont think you should do the club though. I also don't like the gem, it also doesnt suit a wose (they're forest creatures, why would they have rubies?)

i think you should make you wose have one clenched hand (a fist) and one clawed hand, therefore he would have two attacks. Instead of a 22-2 (impact) wose, it would be a 16-3 (blade) and 18-2 (impact) wose, which among other things (like AWESOMENESS,) would make him versatile. I also like the "silver" leaves idea, but that just may be my personal preference.

btw, HOLYNESS is not a word, but HOLINESS is.
<ShadowPaladin>

Here's my new update, pull out the gem, give him a clench fist. Fix a few eyes and fruits problems. But about the silver leaves idea, can anyone do it (on a regular Wose) and show it to me... cause I don't really know how to make silver color in GIMP
Attachments
omfg.png
omfg.png (8.42 KiB) Viewed 5438 times
BloodIssyl

Post by BloodIssyl »

I tried my best at it, but i think i failed at the hand and the beard:

-he's still a little green-tinted
-the beard, in particular, i screwed up :oops:
-I used different shades of gray to create the silver look
-i like this sprite.
-changed the eye colour to light/lime green - you can change it back if you'd like
-he needs more unique characteristics

Good job.
Attachments
A little dark for silver though.
A little dark for silver though.
omfg_964.png (7.86 KiB) Viewed 5397 times