Post by Beholder »

All comments are welcome.
Attachments
lineart.png
lineart.png (30.5 KiB) Viewed 5655 times
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

I like it. However, I don't think it can become official in-game material quite yet.

1. Too simple. If if it is supposed to be a level 1 unit, the drawing needs more detail. Especially in regards to the clothing and textures of the things like hair and the armour...

2. Although there is no "official" style to wesnoth, I believe Jetryl is looking for art either like that of Jason Lutes
Jet wrote: Ideally, we'd like you to emulate the style used by Jason Lutes; look in images/portraits/Jason_Lutes to see his work; or look at the human horseman/spearman line's portraits. I'm also a fan of the elves, and FWIW, I'd prefer for the them to look the polar opposite of Robin Goodfellow (we'll save that archetype for the nome/brownie/leprechaun/little-folk, should we ever have them), rather, I'd like them to be like Oberon, or the Erlking.

Also, blond is not yellow. I get so sick of saying that to new people...
this is from the other recent elf archer thread, btw. Pretty much

3. Proper coloring:
*blonde is not yellow
*the colors are too saturated

4.shading...you line art is good,shading unfortunately aren't. Although cell shading is less intensive than a painterly style, you need to be more detailed: again a look at Lute's work will help immensely. Basically, try to use directional light (it makes the image more dramatic) and keep the light source consitant. Try to use references, as shading isn't as intuitive as people believe. I believe there is a brief tutorial in the create section of the wiki...

Just try and make the look less cartoony, and have better shading and initial color choice and this good be good: you definately have skills!

And this makes good fan-art regardless :)
__
Sorry if this sounds rude and all...I write kinda curt, and I can't give that detailed of advice...just tiding ya over til Jet comments :)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Soo far it looks like a (nice) elf portrait, but it has a problem : it is not really identifiable as an Elvish Fighter portrait.
You would need to draw more like details like a sword or/and some armor...
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Martian

Green

Post by Martian »

The evish fighters have green shirts.
Beholder

Post by Beholder »

Thrawn wrote:I like it. However, I don't think it can become official in-game material quite yet.

1. Too simple. If if it is supposed to be a level 1 unit, the drawing needs more detail. Especially in regards to the clothing and textures of the things like hair and the armour...

2. Although there is no "official" style to wesnoth, I believe Jetryl is looking for art either like that of Jason Lutes
Jet wrote: Ideally, we'd like you to emulate the style used by Jason Lutes; look in images/portraits/Jason_Lutes to see his work; or look at the human horseman/spearman line's portraits. I'm also a fan of the elves, and FWIW, I'd prefer for the them to look the polar opposite of Robin Goodfellow (we'll save that archetype for the nome/brownie/leprechaun/little-folk, should we ever have them), rather, I'd like them to be like Oberon, or the Erlking.

Also, blond is not yellow. I get so sick of saying that to new people...
this is from the other recent elf archer thread, btw. Pretty much

3. Proper coloring:
*blonde is not yellow
*the colors are too saturated

4.shading...you line art is good,shading unfortunately aren't. Although cell shading is less intensive than a painterly style, you need to be more detailed: again a look at Lute's work will help immensely. Basically, try to use directional light (it makes the image more dramatic) and keep the light source consitant. Try to use references, as shading isn't as intuitive as people believe. I believe there is a brief tutorial in the create section of the wiki...

Just try and make the look less cartoony, and have better shading and initial color choice and this good be good: you definately have skills!

And this makes good fan-art regardless :)
__
Sorry if this sounds rude and all...I write kinda curt, and I can't give that detailed of advice...just tiding ya over til Jet comments :)
I will be the first to say I didn't put too much effort on this piece. Why? Because I'd expect to hear exactly what I hear here.

I've see all kinda of art on the portraits, from clearly anime-looking (the princess) from some more realist one (the drakes). But overall, there was no signal something was "right" or "wrong".

So I just shoot something and expect the result.

Back to the board.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Something like this? (Colourwise, I mean - I realise more detail is required).
Attachments
lineart_212-desaturated.png
lineart_212-desaturated.png (27.17 KiB) Viewed 5613 times
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

It looks female.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Zhukov wrote:It looks female.
It does look feminine, but Elves are often portrayed as quite androgynous.

P.S. There's something a bit funny about the far eye - I think it's pointed the wrong way.
Beholder

Post by Beholder »

"I need to write something to post"
Attachments
ElfoB.png
ElfoB.png (32.06 KiB) Viewed 5554 times
commanderkeen

Post by commanderkeen »

I'd say scruff up the hair a bit like the sprite. That would help make it look like a male fighter instead of a warrioress.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

I like the new picture. Far eye still looks a bit funny though. The green on the arms is probably a little too bright as well.

[EDIT] And some of the far ear should probably be visible.
commanderkeen wrote:I'd say scruff up the hair a bit like the sprite. That would help make it look like a male fighter instead of a warrioress.
There's no reason it can't be a portrait of the female Elvish Fighter anyway.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Beholder seems to have quite some manga experience. :)

I think the ear is much too (unaturally) sharp. Please make it in the final version a bit rounder at the edges. And i too think, that she needs a second ear.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

New one looks even more female. Are they breasts?

On that note:
irrevenant wrote:There's no reason it can't be a portrait of the female Elvish Fighter anyway.
Which female EF would that be exactly?
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

she needs a second ear.
She has one, it's behind the head. For it to be visible from this angle, it should be pointing forward. The one we see could have more details, the ear is quite complex in shape.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Zhukov wrote:New one looks even more female. Are they breasts?
On that note:
irrevenant wrote:There's no reason it can't be a portrait of the female Elvish Fighter anyway.
Which female EF would that be exactly?
Isn't there? I could've sworn...