Translatable hero names?

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

yeti

Translatable hero names?

Post by yeti »

It is possible to translate hero names? Particularly those displayed under their pictures when they speak. Well, that was more or less a rethorical question, as I doubt the answer is yes.

But can one hope for translatable hero names in the future?

It would help to -- make hero names pronounceable, -- make hero names inflectable (in Czech, this is a big win), -- make hero names pronounced more like they are in English instead of how they are written (if you are American/English you may not understand -- just try to imagine a part of world thinks you write and pronounce things differently), -- change names to forms usual in given language (eg. Konrad -> Konrád in Czech).

Or is this idea flawed? Why?

We've already made some modifications anyway, but it looks strange when a unit is titled differently in dialogs than its displayed name is...
-std::string font_name = "Vera.ttf";
+std::string font_name = "Bepa-Roman.ttf";
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

maybe this should be moved to "Ideas" so the devs will read it...
yeti

Post by yeti »

This has become more important with TRoW because hero names like `King Eldaric' or `Prince Haldric' must be translated to make sense, even if Eldaric and Haldric were kept intact.

But if noone really reads it here, I'll repost to Ideas...
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2195

Anyway, people do read it here, just not devs.
yeti

Post by yeti »

Thanks, I'm already flaming there ;-)
Shade

Hey

Post by Shade »

Hi, as a scenario designer I have no real preference on what gets done here. If there is a huge problem I can rename things from 'Prince Haldric' to 'Haldric', etc. I'm a unilingual English speaker, if I'm doing anything to make life hell on translators feel free to drop a line on the TROW thread. . . You are all doing great work, and I don't want to make life any harder than it has to be.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
yeti

Re: Hey

Post by yeti »

Shade wrote:Hi, as a scenario designer I have no real preference on what gets done here. If there is a huge problem I can rename things from 'Prince Haldric' to 'Haldric', etc. I'm a unilingual English speaker, if I'm doing anything to make life hell on translators feel free to drop a line on the TROW thread. . . You are all doing great work, and I don't want to make life any harder than it has to be.
Thanks for the offer, but it would kill all the nice character names like Burin the Lost or Lady Outlaw (this one is no name at all, makes no sense untranslated), and this would be a shame. Please keep them as they are. I will rather live with the inconsistency for some time -- as I believe it will be resolved someday -- than with the feeling you did that because of some translations (or translators ;-)
Atilla

Names names

Post by Atilla »

Yeah, but Burin the lost and Lady Outlaw do loose all the sence thay make if you do not translate 'Lost' and 'Outlaw', basically you create a uncomprehansive bunch of letters.