A New Order (ANO) campaign - version 1.1.6

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rhishisikk

A New Order (ANO) campaign - version 1.1.6

Post by Rhishisikk »

All concerned,

I had mistaken the ANO campaign as abandoned (due to a critical error in scenario 4), but I notice there are files updated as recently as last month.

Although I have located the code responsible, and think I know the correction to apply (possibly to multiple scenarios), I also want others to be able to enjoy this campaign. (I also don't want to do work just for it to get over-written the next time I notice an update.)

If you either are the proper maintainer, or know who is, please contact me.
Last edited by Rhishisikk on November 29th, 2008, 3:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Typhon Rhishisikk

If a man has a talent and cannot use it, he has failed. - Thomas Wolfe
Wesluck (TM): Guaranteed unlike any other luck, anywhere else. - Typhon

Main Projects: ANL: Universal (era), Gambit's Empire Builder
Mica

Re: A New Order (ANO) campaign

Post by Mica »

I'm pretty sure the person who uploaded the campaign to the server just took the files from a previous version.

If there IS a maintainer, then why didn't they put their name as the author? Or start a thread here?
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Rhishisikk

Post by Rhishisikk »

Okay, it's been two weeks. I have the go ahead from Shadow to update/modify/change the Aragwaithe and Akladian factions (although I don't plan to, for reasons of campaign balance). It has been two weeks, and I've heard nothing from the semi-official maintainer, who may or may not have quit.

So I'm throwing my hat in. Unless someone else speaks up, I'm going to maintain the ANO code. Help I'll need:
1) I'll need idle animations for pretty much all units.
2) I'm willing to consider new art for the units, so long as the 'themes' remain intact.
3) I found an error by advancing my leader 'before it was possible'. I'd like playtesters to just HAMMER the campaign releases, trying stupid stuff, and otherwise stress-testing and trying to find the breaking points.
4) If anyone teaches, I need to know where to look for code changes to 1.5 (and beyond) so that a good campaign doesn't bite it because of old code.

I won't be able to check the forums every day, and my current project is just now clearing a two week 'busy snag'. These will show up from time to time. Work pays me so that I can continue to live and play games, not the other way around. So sorry, but I won't be available on an instant's notice.

That said, I think this has the makings of a GREAT campaign, and I very much want to see it continue to live up to its potential.
Typhon Rhishisikk

kernowyon

Post by kernowyon »

Great that someone is prepared to maintain this campaign. It is a bit rough in parts and some of the translations could do with a polish, but overall, it is a pretty fun campaign.

I presume the problem I am having with scenario4 is the one you mentioned? Basically, the game bombs out - returning me back to the desktop - immediately after the final "summary" of turns resisted and gold earned.

Wesnoth version 1.4, running on Linux.

I have played the campaign in the past but never managed to complete it - so it is great to see it back on the server again.
Rhishisikk

Post by Rhishisikk »

Yes, I basically found out that the code looks for Gawan Hagarten who is a Young Hagarten. I changed that bit of code to look for the leader of the player's side. The other possible reason is a game that ends EXACTLY at 0 turns resisted over the limit, which is a little harder to test for. But let me know if there might be a third cause.

I agree that a LOT of the comments need polishing in English, but some of the 'errors' actually develop the thought patterns of the Wesnoth, Aragwaithe, and Akladian peoples.
Typhon Rhishisikk

kernowyon

Post by kernowyon »

If it is of any use, this is the output from my command line at the time the game crashes -

scenario: 'ano_4'
next_scenario: 'ano_4'
20080924 15:42:45 error display: could not open image ''
20080924 15:43:46 error config: Defence '-1' is '<= 0' reset to 50.
scenario: 'ano_4'
next_scenario: ''
wesnoth: actions.cpp:195: std::string recruit_unit(const gamemap&, int, unit_map&, unit, gamemap::location&, bool, bool, bool, bool): Assertion `!wml_recall' failed.
Aborted

Presumably that is the error you expected? There appears to be a little bug there in the Defence config too - although I have no understanding of the WML (perhaps I ought to read up on it!)

Do you have a patch or details on fixing the bug?
Rhishisikk

Post by Rhishisikk »

No, that isn't even remotely the error I fixed. Let me see if I can re-create it. :)
Typhon Rhishisikk

peet

Post by peet »

I am a big fan of this campaign, and am the one who came up with the name list for the Aragwaith. If you don't have that I can send it to you.

I would be happy to help out with this project - in particular porting it over to a current version of the game, but I can pretty much guarantee that my WML is weaker than yours.

That being said, if you need help with something let me know.

Peet
Rhishisikk

Post by Rhishisikk »

Absolutely! Please send me the name list. Let me know how many 'breaks' (syllables) there are, and I can even work them up a race.cfg file.

I'll post the first revision soon (not tomorrow, but next weekend) so that people can openly mock my skills. :)

Oddly enough, most of the code for this campaign still works. It's good, solid code, and really needs less maintenance than I thought at first. (Some of the scenarios are ghastly harder than I remember, though!)
Typhon Rhishisikk

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Rhishisikk, I've been out of the game for a bit but I used to be active in testing and helping people develop and maintain campaigns as a playtester, I'd be happy to help if you need more help.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
peet

Post by peet »

Rhishisikk:

Here's the bit I changed in my A_New_Order.cfg:

Code: Select all

[race]
		name=aragwaith
		num_traits=2
		markov_chain_size=3
		male_names="Vladimir,Rasputin,Yaranov,Illyich,Kometevsky,Sergei,
Yuri,Tereshkov,Nikolai,Aleksandr,Averiy,Anatoliy,Dmitriy,Fyodor,Grigoriy,
Stanislav,Vadik,Vadim,Vasiliy,Ivan,Konstantin,Yakov,Leonid,Boriy,Kostiy,
Tumanov,Gubinich,Sviatoslavl,Varvar,Avdiev,Stepanov,Zheniy,Nazarov,
Marichinich,Karnovich,Vissarionovich,Afanasy,Alexei,Koliy,Spyridov,
Zhakar,Vsevolod,Taras,Tikhon,Lyov,Lenin,Kuzim,Makariy,Radimir,
Svyatopolk,Onisim,Olegovich,Mstislav,Nikephoros,Lazar,Evpraksiy,
Vyalyvich,Tsalodov,Malkovich,Masky,Zulechevsky,Dostoyovsky,
Tolstoy,Rachmaninov,Romanov,Svexepolskiy,Vsariovich,Mslatimir,
Yelkimir,Tupalev,Irkumir,Smirnov,Bakchimir,Gubinitikov"
	[/race]
They are mostly just ordinary Russian or Russian-sounding names. I changed a few of them to add variety to the syllables. Also, some are first names while others are surnames. But it comes up with good-sounding names.

You should take out the carriage returns, BTW.

Peet
Rhishisikk

Post by Rhishisikk »

Found it! Found the error that's causing crash upon victory! About to publish 1.0.0, which corrects scenarios 4 and 8, the only ones it crashed on me during (although running the campaign over and over, I lose a LOT of time).

Still haven't had time to correct all the language, and leaving some bits for 'flavor' reasons.

And, by the by, ANO is a *mess* code-wise. It doesn't need to be entirely re-done, but it makes my coding for ANLU look not so bad. (But both work, which is the bottom line for code). I'm going to get it working first, but I'm pretty sure I'll be done with my one year contract here before getting this done.

Hopefully I can make it 1.5 compliant before 1.5 gets here.
Typhon Rhishisikk

Mica

Post by Mica »

You mean later versions of 1.5?

Also, good luck with this stuff. Cleaning up code is a huge job in itself - plus you have to bugfix.

And for updating the code, check into the python tool wmlint. I'm not sure how to use it myself, but it should be fairly easy to learn how.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Rhishisikk

Re: A New Order (ANO) campaign - version 1.0.1 on server

Post by Rhishisikk »

I need therapy. After an hour and forty minutes tracking down a ) masquerading as an }, version 1.0.1 (good through Outlaw Place, scenario 8) is out on the web. Rest assured, I am already working on extending that range.

As always, if anyone encounters any problems, I'll be checking here at least once per day.

Oh, and thanks to one of the kindly admins, I now *OFFICIALLY* have permissions to edit and publish A New Order.

{PLAY_SOUND yay.ogg}

My apologies in advance if the above macro actually works. 8)

[edit]
Dagnabbit! Just re-created the error in scenario 4 (Battle of Barnon). I think it's caused by having units in your recall list, but not certain. Also, I need sleep. If someone else could verify this, I would appreciate it.
[/edit]
Typhon Rhishisikk

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: A New Order (ANO) campaign - version 1.0.1 on server

Post by Turuk »

Rhishisikk, I played through to Scenario 4 like you asked, and managed to get through the whole battle, the lady and the old soldier leave, and I resisted for 6 turns. However, upon the death of the main character, they start to go through the dialogue, search for his body, blah blah, a figure materializes in the top left corner... and Wesnoth crashes. It did this twice more when I tried it.

EDIT: Rhis, it is by having units in your recall list, I went back and cleared out my list and then let him die, and it allowed me to go on to the next scenario. However, the little guy I previously saw in the top left corner no longer appeared, so that may be good or bad.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time