Horde Mode

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Terrainosaur

Horde Mode

Post by Terrainosaur »

Is there a campaign that's just about killing the enemy and going on to the next scenario, where you do the same?

The campaigns I've tried are trying to teach things (like the Warcraft campaigns). I'm tired of trying to figure out the trick to each level ... "If you level up Slagnar the Dwarf Ironslagger, who you got eight scenarios ago, to level 3 and put him in the tower by the river, you can't lose. Hope you didn't let him die in any previous scenario!" I don't want to learn the rock that beats the enemy's scissors in every scenario. I'm tired of special conditions and weird events. Isn't there a campaign with an enemy to just fight?
TheGreatRings

Re: Horde Mode

Post by TheGreatRings »

I can't think of many senarios (any, really) that are impossible to win without a particular character, item, or tactic. Just a lot harder. :wink:

But hey, that's war. If you lose your best soldiers early or pick a poor terrain/time of day for your attack, then you might still win, but it will be a hell of a lot harder.

Still, one of the nice things about Wesnoth is that if you are disatisfied with the current campaings, you can always try to make a new one. Or if you don't have the time/skill/patience for that, you can just play multiplayer.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I can think of a number of MP campaigns which are survival or just about wading through bunches of enemies, but no campaign that is just scenarios linked together that do nothing but give you an enemy to fight.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Sacho

Post by Sacho »

What you're suggesting isn't really feasible. The AI can barely stand up to beginners in Wesnoth, so it needs to swarm you with units or have specific terrain/unit advantages. On easy/normal campaigns it's usually possible to recruit a balanced force and modify your tactic according to the situation without previous knowledge of the scenario, but the "expert" campaigns on hard really seem to require good knowledge of not just the current scenario but the whole campaign in general.

Isn't special conditions exactly the point of campaigns? Why not just play single scenarios otherwise? You can use the extended era/age of heroes to "level up" during scenarios :)