Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.34

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.11.1

Post by Ravana »

Leaders starting level and recruit lists content.

RPG era also has few units weakened, those that were too strong for rpg.
SiegeTank

Post by SiegeTank »

Hello, I've been playing around with a level 4 unit from the ageless era called Runemaster. The tooltip says: adjacent friendly units on the hexes S , NE, NW receive bonus to their fire,cold and arcane resistances +99, any other units receive -99% resistance. So the way its supposed to act is similar to the Matriarch of Emptiness and her deadzone(giving +99% cold fire arcane resistance).

However during recent test I found out that the way it behaves is a bit different. On the blue runes slots(S,NE,NW) it gives any unit resistances(freindly or not), on the red rune slots it gives negative resistances to any unit as well. while it would be ok for it to behave like that if there were no cost attached to it(and requiring a bit more thinking about how to place your units) I'd say that the price that you pay to activate this is very high for what it does at the moment. It costs 24 gold to activate the aura for one turn plus the unit not being able to attack this turn(so you lose 20x2 mele magic retaliation or 35x1 ranged retaliation as part of the cost )and it could be used by your enemies.
(you get all that from a level 3 unit that requires half the exp to level up has permanently on)

I'd suggest two possible ways of balancing this. 1It is left as it acts at the moment, so the blue squares means extra resistances while the red squares means extra vulnerabilities (for you and your enemies alike) but you remove the cost to cast(so you can cast the rune aura for 1 turn at the cost of 0 This way people have to be very careful about their placement to be able to use it to a good effect.(and could be used by your enemies to a good effect too with some careful planning)

The second way is lowering the price to something like 3-4-5 gold (since 24 gold is a killer I'd say for 1 turn when you have to keep in mind that its a level 4 unit's retaliation that you lose also) and the way it behaves is remodeled to act as the tooltip suggests - Friendly units never get negative resistance from it, but they get positive resistances on the blue squares, and enemies get negative resistances on any squares be it blue or red.

Edit: I edited this post since I said that you lose the attack of the units while it wasn't the case, I do however believe that making this runic aura usable is connected to the price you pay for it(since 24 gold is way too much I'd personally spend on something like that.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

I got a question, is a Runemaster with activated aura works fine or is it bugged as in earlier version? I mean is unit is able to tranform to unactive aura form?
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
cahavathra

Post by cahavathra »

error in starting local game with ageless. I have no idea what this is so just posting. Using wesnoth v1.11.15 (latest)

Code: Select all

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
    Ageless Era

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Preprocessor symbol 'MISSILE_FRAME_MUZZLE_FLARE_MISS' expects 2 arguments, but has 0 arguments
    at ~add-ons/Ageless_Era/units/EFM_units/Dalefolk/e1_Rocketeer.cfg:122
        included from ~add-ons/Ageless_Era/_main.cfg:23
        included from ~add-ons/Ageless_Era/units/EFM_units/_units.cfg:7
        included from ~add-ons/Ageless_Era/units/_units.cfg:6
        included from ~add-ons/Ageless_Era/_main.cfg:45
SiegeTank

Post by SiegeTank »

ChaosRider wrote:I got a question, is a Runemaster with activated aura works fine or is it bugged as in earlier version? I mean is unit is able to tranform to unactive aura form?
Yes it transforms to the previous form as soon as the new turn for that player is up. (edit or rather as soon as the new turn is up instead of the new player's turn, meaning that if you are player 6 you benefit from this just for 1 turn, while if you are player 1 you benefit from it for the whole cycle(which sounds imbalanced to me)

With regard to testing, EoMa rune master behaves in a similar matter, However the icons for the choice seemed to be bugged in the ageless era(there are some pretty icons next to the choice that you are given when activating the aura)

Edit2: the tooltip in the EoMA is the updated one stating that :adjacent units(without specifying friendly as it is in the ageless era) on the S,NE,NW get the resistances so I presume that the intention of the author of the EoMA is to have the ability as it behaves at the moment(just the tooltip in the ageless is a bit old). I still however think that 24 gold for the ability is far too high to be worth it(and at most would be used once per game) It is a powerful ability, however for the same cost 3 earth elementals can be summoned by summon's master, or master of elements (two other level 4 units from the EoMa)

Edit3: after some more playing around I found out that if you have 2 rune masters(i dont know if its intended or not) and you click activate rune aura on one of them it is activated on the other one as well.

Edit4: two auras red and yellow at the same place , would not negate eachother but would rather bring down (or up) the resistance to 0 (so a unit with natural 30 arcane resistance under red and blue rune would have 0 arcane resistance instead of 30 (as would be expected when you add and subtract 99)

Edit5: one last edit with regard to edit 4: the tooltip states that units receive +- 99% resistance that means that their resistance becomes +- 99% rahter than it increases or decreases by 99% in which case it the "bug" in edit 4 is behaving normally and its not a bug.
SiegeTank

Post by SiegeTank »

One more thing about rune masters as already stated in the "EoMa" topic:

the length of the rune aura is bound to expire at the start of the turn. I don't know if it is possible to mod but I think it would be more balanced if it expired at the beginning of the player's turn rather than beginning of the new cycle..
The way it is at the moment in a 4 player game, player 4's rune aura lasts for 1 turn, and the ally of that player would not be able to benefit from it. While player 1's rune aura lasts till the end of the cycle allowing any other ally after that to make use of it(as well as for defending purposes).
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

I understand your problem, its looks similar to slow bug (which wesnoth designers prefer to not see it :P) where slow is most usefull for 1st player and with next one its less usefull (cause all slowed units are unslowed with next turn start) so if last player slow first then first will attack last player with unslowed unit and normal attack dmg (not half).
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
SiegeTank

Post by SiegeTank »

Ah yeah its exactly the same
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

cahavathra wrote:error in starting local game with ageless. I have no idea what this is so just posting. Using wesnoth v1.11.15 (latest)

Ageless Era

Details:

Preprocessor symbol 'MISSILE_FRAME_MUZZLE_FLARE_MISS' expects 2 arguments, but has 0 arguments
Can you check your local copy at add-ons/Ageless_Era/units/EFM_units/Dalefolk/e1_Rocketeer.cfg line 122, it should be {MISSILE_FRAME_MUZZLE_FLARE_MISS 0 0} so there are two arguments as expected. Both my local version and synced one have it with two arguments.

"When this ability is activated, all Rune Masters create special auras. Adjacent units on hexes: s, ne, nw receive a 99% bonus to fire, cold and arcane resistance. Other units receive a −99% bonus to fire, cold and arcane resistance. The transformation lasts for one turn. Transformed unit cannot attack."
Edit3: after some more playing around I found out that if you have 2 rune masters(i dont know if its intended or not) and you click activate rune aura on one of them it is activated on the other one as well.
From description it seems intended.

Actually based on EoMa changelog it is description that needs change as Version 1.0.0 * Made it so that rune aura's activation code does not affect all Runemasters on the map
Edit4: two auras red and yellow at the same place , would not negate eachother but would rather bring down (or up) the resistance to 0 (so a unit with natural 30 arcane resistance under red and blue rune would have 0 arcane resistance instead of 30 (as would be expected when you add and subtract 99)

Edit5: one last edit with regard to edit 4: the tooltip states that units receive +- 99% resistance that means that their resistance becomes +- 99% rahter than it increases or decreases by 99% in which case it the "bug" in edit 4 is behaving normally and its not a bug.
Will be changed to work like new deadzone not old one. This might require some playing with max_value.
With regard to testing, EoMa rune master behaves in a similar matter, However the icons for the choice seemed to be bugged in the ageless era(there are some pretty icons next to the choice that you are given when activating the aura)
Noted.
Yes it transforms to the previous form as soon as the new turn for that player is up. (edit or rather as soon as the new turn is up instead of the new player's turn, meaning that if you are player 6 you benefit from this just for 1 turn, while if you are player 1 you benefit from it for the whole cycle(which sounds imbalanced to me)
Agreed, will be changed from new turn to side turn.
For balance I plan to lower cost and keep affect_allies and affect_enemies.
cahavathra

Post by cahavathra »

Ravana wrote:
cahavathra wrote:error in starting local game with ageless. I have no idea what this is so just posting. Using wesnoth v1.11.15 (latest)

Ageless Era

Details:

Can you check your local copy at add-ons/Ageless_Era/units/EFM_units/Dalefolk/e1_Rocketeer.cfg line 122, it should be {MISSILE_FRAME_MUZZLE_FLARE_MISS 0 0} so there are two arguments as expected. Both my local version and synced one have it with two arguments.
The 0's were missing. Fresh download from the add-ons server and from the external link in page 98. Changed it and several other units have the same problem. So far, the Dalefolk Rocketeer Line and the Dark Legion Gunner line. Fixed it on this side no problem. Thanks!
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

That external link is about wesnoth 1.10 , for 1.11 it is https://github.com/ProditorMagnus/Ageless-for-1-11 but DO NOT get it from there, those are development versions so you get oos when you play with others with those. Currently it is likely you just use version for other wesnoth version. For wesnoth 1.11.15 you need to use version at http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.12/Ag ... ra.tar.bz2
cahavathra

Post by cahavathra »

Thanks and noted. Great job on the era btw. Will update it from the "1.12" add-on server next time.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

BUG: This addon clashes with Archaic Era (previously reported to Archaic Era here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 39#p573107). This could be caused by using same movetype and image names.
a7114276

Post by a7114276 »

hi Ravana

1. thanks for fix for the "petrifies" bug
If I notice correctly then there is only 2 places that we need to replace "kill=yes" with "kill=no"
I will check it soon.

2. You assume on people before you ask them and my suggestion is to remember always that you don't know who is in the other side :-)
This is great to know specific ML and play with some game code, and I really appreciate your contribution :-) thanks again, but remember that some of us do not play with ML language and still know how to replace one line of code with simple explanation or demo (as your link help me). By the way I am Moderator at MSDN C# community (if you are developer you probably know what it mean), and yet I did not know how to fix this simple code in a language I have never worked with :-) your comment : "If you do not know alone then its safer not to, else you just get oos messages." is not in the place in my opinion. If I did not know what to do I could ask again, for more clarifications :-)

Thanks for the fix and the help :-)
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Point is you can not USE this fix. Else there would be no problem. This isnt question of editing few files, oos problems appear when people use different version.

I suggested not doing it unless you already knew enough about oos to only change it for instances(personally I got 3 wesnoth 1.10.x installed on this computer) where you do not play with others.