Got extra artistic energy? Other games to contribute to...

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

charlieg

Got extra artistic energy? Other games to contribute to...

Post by charlieg »

There is an abundance of artistic talent in this forum. And it looks set to grow even more. It's getting to the point that the standards are so high that people are struggling to match them or find a spot where the work is needed.

But, alas, not all open source games have an abundance of talent like this. So, why not provide a few places where the standards are a little lower and the artwork more sparse, making it easier for people to get their efforts put forth into a public arena? Well, this is what I propose here!

I'll make the first suggestion: Widelands is a "Settlers 2" remake.

The developers recently re-energised the project but they are woefully short on the pixel artwork - the units and buildings - for the game. I'm sure they would welcome any submissions with open arms.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
miyo

Post by miyo »

miyo

Post by miyo »

Moved under off-topic as this is not Wesnoth related.

- Miyo
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I thought he was going to do that. ;-) I would have let it stay in Art development becuase so many artists do frequent there. But that forum really is for just Wesnoth art development. Most people read all the forums, so it's not a big deal.
Roots

Post by Roots »

My project is also in need of game artists right now to create sprites, tiles, etc. Hero of Allacrost is a 2D single-player RPG that's been in development for a couple months now. Take a look at our site at http://www.allacrost.org and look at the Jobs section to find out how you can help. Here's a little eye-candy to hopefully get some of you interested :wink: Thanks!

Last edited by Roots on January 6th, 2005, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hero of Allacrost, a 2D open source RPG. Check it out at http://www.allacrost.org.
Roots

Post by Roots »

haha, crap I forgot I disabled hot-linking to my site. :oops: Fixed the image, hope you guys like it :D
Hero of Allacrost, a 2D open source RPG. Check it out at http://www.allacrost.org.
scott

Post by scott »

Put that guy on a mountain (cough *Konrad* cough), make the city look more normal, and I think we have ourselves a splash screen!

Just kidding.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Roots

Post by Roots »

We have some sprite models up now if any artisticly-inclined people here would like to contribute to our cause. There's a fully 4-way animated sprite made public in the forums now. :)

Forum link: http://www.allacrost.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190
Eldmannen

Post by Eldmannen »

Great thought!

I fully agree with you. There is alot of talent on this forum and it would be great if people would contribute to other OSS (Open Source Software) too.

http://www.7-zip.org/
7-Zip is a file archiver with high compression ratio, it is free software distributed under the GNU LGPL.
7-Zip could probably need some new icons. (compress, extract, etc)
Ave

freelords still needs artists

Post by Ave »

Hmm, freelords still needs artists.
It is quite well developed otherwise, but the graphics suck :)
I'm sure there are people here at wesnoth who could help them out!
Makkenhoff

Post by Makkenhoff »

I happened upon this game a few weeks ago, and I've got to say.. I love it. Exactly what I've been looking for. I also decided to check out the forum, only to find a post about something that I was already scouting around for. What luck! So, without further ado, I'll explain a bit.

If any artists are familar with the game Archon (Freefall Associates, now known as Freefall Games.. published by EA if your not sure what it is..), the game is currently seeking a new artist(s) for the offical remake. It is of course, freeware (but cannot be open source, as the original source from the commerical game is being used to preseve gameplay.) If interested please feel free to register and post here... Archon Evolution even if your not familar with the game and your willing to take a look, please do so. The lead Developer is extremely dedicated to his project, and has a dedicated beta testing team as well. I have the understanding that any artists who come on board the project will have developer status as well. (I'm a beta tester myself, and a poor artist, but It is something I would really like to have a talent for.)

*edit* link fixed (Thats what i get for posting tired. heh)
Last edited by Makkenhoff on August 26th, 2005, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Makkenhoff wrote:I happened upon this game a few weeks ago, and I've got to say.. I love it. Exactly what I've been looking for. I also decided to check out the forum, only to find a post about something that I was already scouting around for. What luck! So, without further ado, I'll explain a bit.

If any artists are familar with the game Archon (Freefall Associates, now known as Freefall Games.. published by EA if your not sure what it is..), the game is currently seeking a new artist(s) for the offical remake. It is of course, freeware (but cannot be open source, as the original source from the commerical game is being used to preseve gameplay.) If interested please feel free to register and post here... Archon Evolution even if your not familar with the game and your willing to take a look, please do so. The lead Developer is extremely dedicated to his project, and has a dedicated beta testing team as well. I have the understanding that any artists who come on board the project will have developer status as well. (I'm a beta tester myself, and a poor artist, but It is something I would really like to have a talent for.)
Link doesn't work.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Makkenhoff

Post by Makkenhoff »

charlieg wrote:No hyphon.

http://www.archonevolution.com/

Sadly, Windows only. :cry: DirectX should be made illegal. :evil:

FAQ does state that an OpenGL port is underway. I saw little evidence for this, though.
This is only temporary, OpenGL will be finished up once the "core" code is ready... and its getting closer. I agree, DirectX is evil. If I remember correctly, most of the opengl code is already in place.. he was having trouble with collisions I believe, but I'm unsure of the status of that. (As a dev you'd have access to know that. lol)
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

No hyphon.

http://www.archonevolution.com/

Sadly, Windows only. :cry: DirectX should be made illegal. :evil:

FAQ does state that an OpenGL port is underway. I saw little evidence for this, though.
Free Gamer - free games compendium & commentary
FreeGameDev - free game development community
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

I'm making a 3D RPG (OSource of course), I'm short on staff, I'm missing a 2D artist (for menus and things like that), a 3D artist (for the in-game graphics), a programmer, a machine with capabilities to fit such a project in, well... basically I'm all alone and My job is making the quests and thinking up an original world for the game (Which is the only thing I'd be good at). Well, okay, if the spots are filled, I'll start making a website for the project.

P.S I'm also in charge of publishing and the rest of the theoretical part of the game

P.P.S You do realize that I just started thinking about this game :)
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.