Got extra artistic energy? Other games to contribute to...

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

i want to help any OSource project, but... i know delphi and only basics of c++ and python.. my 2D arts are... you know..
i know Blender not too bad, but i didnt ever maked something big/good. :(
scott

Post by scott »

martenzo wrote:I'm missing a 2D artist, a 3D artist , a programmer, a machine with capabilities
I, too, am short on talent, but if you have a forum I'll sign up.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

First, @ tomsik, the 2D graphics are onlt the ingame menus, Health bar, Mana bar, Item Icons, stuff like that. I think even you could do those (not saying that your artist skills are bad).
Second @scott, I'm working on a site, It's gonna be branching off from my family website ( kahr.pri.ee ) and It's made with mambo, But I'm starting with it at the end of this week.
Oh yeah, I thought up a title for the game, Heroes of Macknorn (Macknorn is the world where the things take place). And I think that a quest maker should also be made, so that players won't just have to deal with the original game.
P.S if anyone has experiences with mambo, I'm open for tips.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
danny_california: yep keep telling fairy tales.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

at long last i get c++ books, i learning now :)
Disto

Post by Disto »

martenzo wrote:First, @ tomsik, the 2D graphics are onlt the ingame menus, Health bar, Mana bar, Item Icons, stuff like that. I think even you could do those (not saying that your artist skills are bad).
Second @scott, I'm working on a site, It's gonna be branching off from my family website ( kahr.pri.ee ) and It's made with mambo, But I'm starting with it at the end of this week.
Oh yeah, I thought up a title for the game, Heroes of Macknorn (Macknorn is the world where the things take place). And I think that a quest maker should also be made, so that players won't just have to deal with the original game.
P.S if anyone has experiences with mambo, I'm open for tips.
What would be really cool is if you played from directly behind the charecter, about a meter, like a firstperson shooter but not just showing a hand and a weapon. A RPG like that, i would immediatly try to back up, because it'd be purely cool. I'd love to be part of something like that. But i'm not sure you would do it that way.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Do you mean third person? If not, then I'm not understanding you correctly.
me: Welcome to the real world. If everyone says your art and opinions suck, it's because they DO suck. Even if you're too damned proud/stupid/both to realize it.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I think he means third person, like Nightmares or Tomb Raider.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
appleide

Post by appleide »

http://www.freeciv.org
http://www.cantr.net

Don't know if they still need any more help, as freeciv is already three times as old as wesnoth, even though it has like half the player base.

I personally stopped playing them, because I like wesnoth better. :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I theorize that freeciv has half the player base because:

a] It's essentially a clone/rip-off of an existing game. Many people just ... play civilization instead. Wesnoth is its own game.

b] It uses the x11 window manager instead of using the native one on non-linux platforms. On a mac this is, for all but unix hackers, a kiss of death. The x11 window manager is workable on a mac, but is far inferior to even a native linux x11 window manager, and of course it simply doesn't compare to aqua (but then, nothing really does).

The subtle things that really make the mac freakishly efficient, like proxy icons, a serious drag and drop implementation, exposé, and a window menu accessible in every program via either the menu bar or the dock are gone. Heck, it's worse than windows.

Same goes for the Gimp - almost no one on the mac uses it because it doesn't support the native gui, and is (on the mac) a real pain to install - you need to install a bunch of dependencies with fink first, or at least put x11 on.

It's those subtle "mac window manager" things I mentioned that really kill mac-gimp, though - I estimate that those remove at least 50% of my non-drawing time, compared to how things would be on windows.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Jetryl wrote:I theorize that freeciv has half the player base because:

a] It's essentially a clone/rip-off of an existing game. Many people just ... play civilization instead. Wesnoth is its own game.

b] It uses the x11 window manager instead of using the native one on non-linux platforms. On a mac this is, for all but unix hackers, a kiss of death. The x11 window manager is workable on a mac, but is far inferior to even a native linux x11 window manager, and of course it simply doesn't compare to aqua (but then, nothing really does).

The subtle things that really make the mac freakishly efficient, like proxy icons, a serious drag and drop implementation, exposé, and a window menu accessible in every program via either the menu bar or the dock are gone. Heck, it's worse than windows.

Same goes for the Gimp - almost no one on the mac uses it because it doesn't support the native gui, and is (on the mac) a real pain to install - you need to install a bunch of dependencies with fink first, or at least put x11 on.

It's those subtle "mac window manager" things I mentioned that really kill mac-gimp, though - I estimate that those remove at least 50% of my non-drawing time, compared to how things would be on windows.

IIRC freeciv's objective was a port to linux and to have a public server where people can find random people to play with. And they have succeeded that. Most of Freeciv's players are linux users anyway, thats why the gui seem to have alien-like buttons.

p.s whats a mac window manager? I don't think I know what it is even though the only computers I ever used out side of that geography class where the teacher loves windows, is the mac. Seriously I havent used a windows for more than half a hour before.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

appleide wrote: IIRC freeciv's objective was a port to linux and to have a public server where people can find random people to play with. And they have succeeded that. Most of Freeciv's players are linux users anyway, thats why the gui seem to have alien-like buttons.
Well that pretty much proves Jetryl's point on why it has a smaller player base. If you support GNU/Linux + Mac + Windows you will get a far larger player base than just supporting GNU/Linux.

In addition to the window manager thing, let's not forget about how FreeCiv requires you to start a server (and usually you have to start your own) just to play a single player game. They've tried to make the server real easy to start on some distributions, but it still ends up awkward.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Disto

Post by Disto »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:I think he means third person, like Nightmares or Tomb Raider.
Yes, but i can never remember what they are called, if you could make a good RPG in 3rd person, it'd be astounding.
Creator of the Marauders
martenzo

Post by martenzo »

Well, the problem is, I can\t make one, at least not alone.
Example, has wesnoth been developed to the point where it is now only by dave? No there were (and are) other developers besides dave.
My best side is my imagination, skills to coordinate projects and thinking about ways to spread the word about game and that's it, I don't know anything about OpenGL, how to render 3d images, that's where I need help.

By the way, I have skype, If anyone has it too, I can use it, to communicate in a faster fashion. Just look up marten.kahr (or something similiar, as I don't remember the username exactly).
Disto

Post by Disto »

Make a website, just learn that, and say you need these etc. etc. And they will come in time, it'd be cool to learn how to do 3d but i firstly don't have the software and secondly don't know where to get it, but i would be your 2d graphics designer if it got off the ground.
Creator of the Marauders
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

OSource 3D graphics program: blender