Wesnoth Bestiary

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Wesnoth Bestiary Development Thread

Post by thespaceinvader »

Design-wise, it would look a lot better if the horizontal rules for statistics and advancements lined up with each other - this would also leave more space for long descriptions.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Is there a good way to represent AMLA? Saying that it levels into itself is correct but still a bit awkward.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Simply noting it as "maximum level (AMLA type)" could work?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
em3

Post by em3 »

Doesn't an empty list of available advancements imply it is "AMLA type"... or rather isn't it logically biconditional?
ride on shooting star
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Technically an empty advancement results in infinite accumulation of xp over the max(if by "empty" you mean null)..or a crash. AMLA has to be declared, usually in a units profile.
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
em3

Post by em3 »

[quote=UnitTypeWML]The special value 'null' says that the unit does not advance but gets an AMLA instead. [/quote]
As I understand, a unit type either advances to other unit types or has an AMLA. There are no other valid options - no advancements without AMLA is an error in unit design, and maybe should generate a warning or something. What I mean, is that from bestiary's point of view, a unit with no advancements is an AMLA-type.
ride on shooting star
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

Wishful thinking. I've just run a test on 1.9.4 - a unit without a specified AMLA just gathered xp over the max, no advancement at all. Same thing if there was just an empty advances_to= . I'm trying to remember what was screwed up in ageless 4.6 that leveling up some units caused a boot from the game, probably either different behaviour in mp or some faulty unit id
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

em3 wrote:
UnitTypeWML wrote:The special value 'null' says that the unit does not advance but gets an AMLA instead.
As I understand, a unit type either advances to other unit types or has an AMLA. There are no other valid options - no advancements without AMLA is an error in unit design, and maybe should generate a warning or something. What I mean, is that from bestiary's point of view, a unit with no advancements is an AMLA-type.
Wha? You mean you want to make it impossible to have a unit that doesn't advance at all?
em3

Post by em3 »

OK, my bad. :lol2:
ride on shooting star
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Minor update. I've got new labels for defense and movement. The section is now called "Terrain Adjustments."

Next I need to sort the table and optimally allow re-sorting by clicking on the labels. (jQuery add-ons should help with this.)
thespaceinvader wrote:Design-wise, it would look a lot better if the horizontal rules for statistics and advancements lined up with each other - this would also leave more space for long descriptions.
That's a decent proposal. I'll play around with that and see how it flows.

I still need to add in advancement, I know. But keep the comments coming and I'll continue to make progress.
Last edited by ancestral on March 31st, 2011, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
salade

Post by salade »

just fyi that every unit on my units table has a link to Bestiary.

ancestral: re. unit tree,
  • if you want to make a clear tree structure, it is better to use a specialized js library rather than HTML table. other than thejit that i've mentioned to you before, there is another js library, Google Visualization Org Chart that may be used
  • for the current unit tree, the navigation is not really usable. A simple way to fix is to turn the left hand side menu to a on-click panel like in Google translate. The main content is organized by race, so there should be a ToC like menu on top that list all the races, and after every race section, provide a back to the top button (or even better, display a Google translate like panel on click)
  • certain content seems to be missing, e.g. there is no dark adept in the undead section and the "tree" looks very odd. Indeed, at the top, Armageddon Drake's "tree" is odd to me too.
i think as reference database, the unit tree is fine as long as it fixes its navigation. for now, i'll simply use Ctrl-F and then type a keyword to locate the section.
em3

Post by em3 »

salade wrote:certain content seems to be missing, e.g. there is no dark adept in the undead section and the "tree" looks very odd. Indeed, at the top, Armageddon Drake's "tree" is odd to me too.
Dark Adept is a human (by race), not undead. He is in the "Undead" faction, not race.
ride on shooting star
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

salade wrote:Indeed, at the top, Armageddon Drake's "tree" is odd to me too.
:annoyed:

Are you trying to say that the Inferno advances to an Armageddon?
It doesn't.

In special campaign situations, the Inferno advances to Armageddon. Most of the time however, it does not.

On another note, the bestiary doesn't show advancements in the "Advancements" section for me. I have checked Dark Adept, Ancient Wose and Arch Mage - still no luck. I use a Mac, 10.4.11, running Firefox 3.6.13. Is this a known bug?

EDIT: And while I'm at it - why are the Saurians in the "lizard" race? They're saurians...
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saurian

My guess is that it used to be that, and suddenly changing it from Lizard to Saurian will make content harder to port, and people will have to remember to type Saurian...I'm not really sure though.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
salade

Post by salade »

em3 wrote:
salade wrote:certain content seems to be missing, e.g. there is no dark adept in the undead section and the "tree" looks very odd. Indeed, at the top, Armageddon Drake's "tree" is odd to me too.
Dark Adept is a human (by race), not undead. He is in the "Undead" faction, not race.
so the a fundamental "problem" is the data is group by race but not faction. For experienced players who know the difference of race and faction clearly, they won't need to check that table anyway. For new players, when they play a game and choose undead (faction), there are DA, skel etc. I would argue that group the unit by faction is more useful to new players.
Reepurr wrote:
salade wrote:Indeed, at the top, Armageddon Drake's "tree" is odd to me too.
:annoyed:

Are you trying to say that the Inferno advances to an Armageddon?
no, i have no idea what advances to an Armageddon and i have never used one, but showing a single standalone L4 units without any description is just odd to me. the current way maybe correct, or maybe it is the best possible way already, but it isn't a way that is clear enough for a new player to know what does an Armageddon upgraded from.