gettext domains

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

yeti

gettext domains

Post by yeti »

Hm, I've just run cvs up ... and wonder (I'm getting used to it ;-)

Could someone please explain which po file is the right one?

It seems two domains were created: wesnoth and wesnoth-editor, however there are po files directly in po/ too. The files in wesnoth/ seem to contain translations, the files in wesnoth-editor do not, although I recall translating some of the messages. Of course, I did local modifications to cs.po meanwhile so I'd like to know what to sync with what.

Or if I've run cs up in an unfortunate moment, can someone say `Now!' once it's in some final state?
-std::string font_name = "Vera.ttf";
+std::string font_name = "Bepa-Roman.ttf";
cedric

Re: gettext domains

Post by cedric »

yeti wrote:however there are po files directly in po/ too.
Hmm, that shouldn't be. Make sure you use the -dP options when you update your tree.

Code: Select all

cvs update -dP
--
Cedric
yeti

Re: gettext domains

Post by yeti »

cedric wrote:Hmm, that shouldn't be. Make sure you use the -dP options when you update your tree.

Code: Select all

cvs update -dP
Ah, I did but didn't notice the `conflict: po/ca.po is modified but no longer in the repository' messages the first time. I don't know how they get modified, but I just deleted them. There even appeared some translated strings in wesnoth-editor po files, great!
tephlon
Translator

Post by tephlon »

Yes, can someone explain the new structure, please. Why two po files per language? What's the difference between them? Do we now have to keep track of two files of the same names? How do I now compile and update to see the "bleeding-edge translations" in-game? A wiki-update on this would be good.

Cheers
cedric

Post by cedric »

tephlon wrote:Yes, can someone explain the new structure, please. Why two po files per language? What's the difference between them?
One has 3149 strings in it, and the other just 42, if this is enough of a difference... :P

see http://gettext.wesnoth.org

One is for the game translation, the other is for the map editor translation. And ultimately, there will be one domain per campaign (not done yet), which will allow scenario designers to ship translations along with their unofficial campaigns.
tephlon wrote:Do we now have to keep track of two files of the same names?
They are in a different hierarchy: po/wesnoth/ and po/wesnoth-editor/
tephlon wrote:How do I now compile and update to see the "bleeding-edge translations" in-game? A wiki-update on this would be good.
This doesn't change much.

--
Cedric
yann
Inactive Developer

Post by yann »

I am also working on a wesnoth-lib domain, which will contain messages common to both game client and editor, to avoid having to do duplicate translations.
gettextization
french l10n team member
cedric

Post by cedric »

cedric wrote:
tephlon wrote:Do we now have to keep track of two files of the same names?
They are in a different hierarchy: po/wesnoth/ and po/wesnoth-editor/
UPDATE: Now the po files each have different names (wesnoth.po, wesnoth-editor.po and wesnoth-lib.po) and are stored in a per-language hierarchy under po/, which in the end should be more convenient.

Yes, things are moving fast. :)

--
Cedric
yeti

Post by yeti »

cedric wrote:Yes, things are moving fast.
Hm, should one try to catch up now?

Mama always said cvs was like a box a chocolates, never know what you're gonna get.
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

It would be easier for the groups work if the actual wesnoth.po file could be splitted into two or more files, like wesnoth_scenario_dialogs.po (or one file for each campaign maybe) and wesnoth_interface_data.po wesnoth_tutorial_and_ingame_manual.po etc.....

Or there is a way to mantain from 2 .po files with the same name only the more recent addition? Because if the italian translation become to be handled by two people, it sounds a little hard to know what has been translated by the other worker and what have to be translated...
yeti

Post by yeti »

RokStar wrote:Or there is a way to mantain from 2 .po files with the same name only the more recent addition? Because if the italian translation become to be handled by two people, it sounds a little hard to know what has been translated by the other worker and what have to be translated...
Try msgcat.
sanna

Post by sanna »

RokStar wrote:or one file for each campaign maybe
cedric wrote: And ultimately, there will be one domain per campaign
I think that 'one domain'='one file'.:? Not sure if this is intended to apply to the mainline campaigns also...

But apart from that, I don't think it's a good idea to split it up into too many files.
yeti

Post by yeti »

cedric wrote:And ultimately, there will be one domain per campaign (not done yet), which will allow scenario designers to ship translations along with their unofficial campaigns.
This is not anything msgcat could not manage, although for external capaigns it is probably easier to put their translations to separate files.
cedric

Post by cedric »

RokStar wrote:Because if the italian translation become to be handled by two people, it sounds a little hard to know what has been translated by the other worker and what have to be translated...
Well, the french translation team is currently composed of mainly 3 contributors (who send patches) and 4 wesnoth developers (who can commit to the cvs anytime), and despite that many people working on the same files, everything is working seemlessly and we haven't had a single conflict yet. :)

Good coordination is the key. Announce what you are working on, work from a common base, etc.
sanna wrote:But apart from that, I don't think it's a good idea to split it up into too many files.
Could you tell more about it, or is it just a bad feeling you woke up with this morning? ;)

--
Cedric
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

you should take a look at http://wesnoth.slack.it/?GermanTranslation

wiki is a great way to synchronize the team, the french team is moving to the same type of page.

this does not replace the ML (very handy to have proofreading and sending diffs to devels) but it's much better for the actual synchronisation part...
yeti

Post by yeti »

cedric wrote:and 4 wesnoth developers (who can commit to the cvs anytime)
Hm, that may explain a lot. Without that, split to many files just means more overhead for language coordinator and translations coordinator as it saves a msgcat invocation and multiplies by 6 everything else.