Wesnoth User Made Content IDE [2.0.3]

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.

What's your usage of the UMC IDE?

I don't use it, but I plan to.
42%
I don't use it and I don't plan to.
26%
I use it seldom
18%
I use it regularly.
14%

Total votes: 57

Cybermouse

Re: Wesnoth Eclipse User Made Content Plugin

Post by Cybermouse »

cephalo wrote:
timotei wrote:Hmm, regarding the "auto-closing" of the could you please give me an example? I've tried something like:

Code: Select all

name="my'name"
And it didn't automatically close the ' thingy.

Also, regarding the MDI stuff, IIRC eclipse doesn't support (without writing a plugin, that is) using external editors for different files :).
Hmm, this issue is more complicated than I thought. All of a sudden I can't repeat it.
Likewise. I don't recall the exact circumstances either, but I know I've seen it happen. Funny how bugs like to hide the instant they're spotted, eh? Just like real ones!
Cybermouse
<:8( )~
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Hello everyone,

Today I've release the 2.0.0 version of the IDE (plugin and standalone version).

Here's the changelog:
    * The standalone version now has all the proper save/new/undo/redo buttons in the menus.
    * Added support for multiple wesnoth installations. This allows the user to have UMC for different wesnoth versions at the same time in the workspace.
    * Added a new property page for Wesnoth projects, that allows one to select what wesnoth install that project use.
    * Added the "Wesnoth Addons" view, which allows users to browse through the existing addons on any wesnoth addon server and download them ( and optionally create them as projects in the workspace).
    * Each wesnoth projects now has attached a folder that points to the wesnoth ``data/core" directory.
    * The required Xtext version has been raised to 2.0.0
    * The required Eclipse version has been raised to 3.7 ( Indigo )
    * Improved the content assist for:
    - variables
    - events
    - tags & keys - now the lua defined tags and keys are recognized and suggested to the user
    * The wesnoth wizards are now available directly from the ``File" -> ``New" menu.
    * The standalone version can be updated via the ``Help" -> ``Check for Updates".
    * Eclipse update site has moved to ``http://eclipse.wesnoth.org/updates"
    * There are now 2 separate manuals: User's and Developer's manual
You can download the new version here: http://eclipse.wesnoth.org/doc_howto.html

As always, I'm happy if I get feedback via the forums or using the bug tracker :)

Please note that this version works with the 1.10 stable series too :) !

Thanks.
Wesnoth User Made Content IDE/Plugin - an easier way of developing new content for Wesnoth.
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

Excellent, many thanks sir!! :mrgreen: I love the new default font settings, and the editor windows (particularly regarding the macro display) no longer do that crazy refresh thing every time I type or move the cursor.

Quick bug/question: whenever I right-click on any container (either a folder or the project container) I don't see any context menu action for running the WML tools. According to the documentation, one should be there for a container's context menu.

My python path is set to: D:\Installs\Python26\python.exe where my python is installed. Is that correct?

Also, I noticed that #else and #endif are not being highlighted like the other preprocessor commands. I was not familiar enough with the Eclipse environment to find the file that defines the syntax rules. Where might I add those?
Cybermouse
<:8( )~
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

I can definately jump to any scenario from the IDE. Great! I do have one problem though, when I try to open a map in the editor from the IDE, I get an error saying that I have to set the wesnoth executable path first. I'm pretty sure I did that though, or else how could my scenarios work from the IDE?
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Did you by chance (blind take) try to restart the IDE? :)
Wesnoth User Made Content IDE/Plugin - an easier way of developing new content for Wesnoth.
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

timotei wrote:Did you by chance (blind take) try to restart the IDE? :)
Ha. Nope, I just installed it and got busy. This morning when I tried it again everything was fine. Thanks!
Max

Post by Max »

hi. can't get it to run (using v2 standalone version, 64 bit)

wesnoth 1.10.1 on win7
Data directory: C:/Program Files (x86)/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.1
User configuration directory: C:/Users/myusername/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10
User data directory: C:/Users/myusername/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10

i'm pretty sure i've set up everything correctly:
Wesnoth Version 1.10.x
Wesnoth executable path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.1\wesnoth.exe
Working directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.1\
User data directory: C:\Users\myusername\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.10
WML tools directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.1\/data/tools
Python executable path: C:\Program Files\Python27\python.exe

edit: here are the preferences stored in .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.runtime\.settings\org.wesnoth.prefs
#Thu Mar 08 19:37:38 CET 2012
eclipse.preferences.version=1
python_path=C\:/Program Files/Python27/python.exe
inst_list=test\:1.10.x
inst_test_wesnoth_user_dir=C\:/Users/myusername/Documents/My Games\\Wesnoth1.10
inst_test_wesnoth_working_dir=C\:/Program Files (x86)/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.1/
inst_test_wesnoth_wmltools_dir=C\:/Program Files (x86)/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.1/data/tools
inst_test_wesnoth_exec_path=C\:/Program Files (x86)/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.1/wesnoth.exe
inst_default=test

aferwards there's a message in the lower right corner "setting up workspace (or so)" which is gone in a couple of seconds. after i dismiss the welcome page i just see an Wesnoth projects pane is empty.

here's the output if i try to launch the game from within the plugin:

Battle for Wesnoth v1.10.1
Started on Thu Mar 08 17:10:42 2012

Overriding data directory with C:/Program Files (x86)/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.1//

Data directory: C:/Program Files (x86)/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.1//
User configuration directory: C:/Users/myusername/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10/
User data directory: C:/Users/myusername/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10/
Cache directory: C:/Users/myusername/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10//cache
Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
here's the command line that got passed to wesnoth:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.1\wesnoth.exe" --config-dir "C:/Users/myusername/Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.10/" "C:/Program Files (x86)/Battle for Wesnoth 1.10.1//"

wesnoth works fine - probably it just ignores the data directory and uses defaults...

workspace/.metadata/.log contains an error including stack trace, not sure if this relevant:
Spoiler:
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

You can ignore that small error. I forgot to package an extra .jar files, bu that won't impact the normal workflow :)

If you launch that line from command line, does it start wesnoth?

What exactly is the problem? From what I see setup workspace doesn't end!? ( you should have gotten smth like 'workspace was setup successfully'). Or the projects for addons are not created? What about creating a simple project from scratch?
alluton

Post by alluton »

timotei wrote:

How can I install it?
This is the README, that contains step-by-step instructions on how to install and run it, aswell with the current available features: http://eclipse.wesnoth.org/README.pdf
Error page not found.
Spoiler:
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Hello,

Thanks for the report. I forgot to update the initial thread page :)

It's updated now, and you can get the readme from here: http://eclipse.wesnoth.org/doc_howto.html

Cheers,
Timo
alluton

Re: Wesnoth Eclipse User Made Content Plugin [2.0.0]

Post by alluton »

Okey. Meaby I give it a try tomorrow then.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Max

Post by Max »

timotei wrote:What exactly is the problem? From what I see setup workspace doesn't end!? ( you should have gotten smth like 'workspace was setup successfully'). Or the projects for addons are not created? What about creating a simple project from scratch?
i didn't have any addons installed^^ (i was expecting to at least see the mainline campaigns as with version 1.x).

- i need to close and reopen eclipse in order to open maps with the editor
- preferences: Python executable path indicates it has a tooltip available but doesn't show one
- preferences: all paths have mixed / and \ path separators...
- preferences: next version should have wesnoth version 1.10.x as default
- i get no "WML tools" menu entry for cfg files
- open declaration doesn't work for macros defined within a campaign if they have params (at least it was working for 3 macros without params)
- if i install additional addons the only way to get them to show up is via menu "setup workspace". feels like a workaround given the message boxes you're confronted with
- calling it a plugin is kind of strange. i know that this is eclipse lingo but that's something most users don't care much anyway. i'd also drop eclipse as part of the name. Wesnoth UMC Editor sounds much better to me...
anyway - it's looking great. feels much more mature than 1.x. there's not a single line it couldn't parse in the 5 add-ons i've tried. highlighting is perfect, everythings folds up fine. what i'm really missing right now are the wml tools.
timotei
Inactive Developer

Post by timotei »

Heh, thanks a LOT for the feedback. I really appreciate it :) I'll add it to my todo list.

Regarding the mainline campaigns, I though together with fendrin that so few people (close to 0) would import the mainline, that I entirely dropped that question :)

I've already fixed the wml tools in the trunk, probably will release an update soon :). And with the built-in update mechanism you won't need to download the whole archive, if everything works fine - hopefully, but just the plugin itself.
cephalo

Post by cephalo »

timotei wrote: Regarding the mainline campaigns, I though together with fendrin that so few people (close to 0) would import the mainline, that I entirely dropped that question :)
Importing all the main-line was actually very helpful for me when I started learning WML a few weeks ago. I remembered what scenarios did things similar to what I was doing, and they were all right there for easy access to examples. It's also very instructive in regard to how the app is organized. I'm sure I would have thought up some messed-up directory structure if I didn't have those examples there, and would still be messing with it today. :)
tuggyne

Post by tuggyne »

cephalo wrote:
timotei wrote: Regarding the mainline campaigns, I though together with fendrin that so few people (close to 0) would import the mainline, that I entirely dropped that question :)
Importing all the main-line was actually very helpful for me when I started learning WML a few weeks ago. I remembered what scenarios did things similar to what I was doing, and they were all right there for easy access to examples. It's also very instructive in regard to how the app is organized. I'm sure I would have thought up some messed-up directory structure if I didn't have those examples there, and would still be messing with it today. :)
Same here, in fact; I still occasionally refer to the code there for examples of how something's handled. So it's actually fairly helpful.