Idea: Activated Abilities

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Fortify

Forced march only as a special upgrade for certain units

Post by Fortify »

Of course this was not intended accross the board but as an abaility for certain units. Maybe some L1 units but more likely as an upgrade special.

A unit could always have this or it could be temporarly granted to units of a certain movetype who start in the zoc of a leader with this ability(not all units with leadership). For example a Slave Driver bestows this ability on all "orcishfoot" units in its zoc at the beginning of a turn.

I am thinking that for certain units from an 'orgainised millitary background' apply to some units that could be expected to have above average physical training or its leaders to be very inspiring. For units for a chaotic background apply it to units you might drive mercilessly.
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Shoot, I actually like this "forced march" idea. I'm not one of the coders, though - too much art to work on/homework to do.

Dwarves could really use it.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The idea of activated abilities in Wesnoth is over a year old now. It was considered from the very beginning,

One of the main reasons it hasn't been included is because it's very hard to teach the AI to use these abilities. One of the key principles of the Wesnoth game design is to make a set of game rules that is feasible for an AI to be pretty good at.

These activated abilities are very difficult to code an AI to use effectively, and that reason alone pretty much justifies their exclusion.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Baltar

Post by Baltar »

Thanks dave that's the reasonable response I was hoping for.
This post brought to you by the GNAA.
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

Baltar wrote:Thanks dave that's the reasonable response I was hoping for.
Agreed. Designing the game, and scenario so that the AI is challanging is more benefitial than adding more 'fluff'

I did wonder about the AI challanges when I proposed this. I will learn more by reading the Wiki dev pages on AI.
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.