Ideas: Some new Abilities

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Baltar

Ideas: Some new Abilities

Post by Baltar »

Just some ability ideas I thought up, feel free to tear 'em up:

Revenge (or Barbed)-Whenever the unit receives a successful hit, the attacker takes an automatic 2 points of damage.

Motivate-At the beginning of the turn, this unit grants all adjacent units one additional move point for this turn.

Putrid-At the beginning of the turn, all enemy units adjacent to this unit receive 2 damage

Frenetic-This unit may attack as many adjacent enemies during your turn as the player wishes.
This post brought to you by the GNAA.
Circon

Post by Circon »

Interesting.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2190

BTW "Frenetic" was originally suggested as an alternative to the current "Berserk"; I like Frenetic better.
Last edited by Dacyn on September 16th, 2004, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Frenetic seems like the only interesting one. I don't like 'automatically dealt damage', and a unit shouldn't be able to damage an enemy when it doesn't accomplish something (like get a hit in).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Motivate has been proposed before...

If you are willing to code the patch, I would be willing to playtest.
Baltar

Post by Baltar »

turin wrote:Frenetic seems like the only interesting one. I don't like 'automatically dealt damage', and a unit shouldn't be able to damage an enemy when it doesn't accomplish something (like get a hit in).
Uuuhh...as stated Revenge only deals the damage when the attacker landed the hit. It's intended as a 'reverse drain' of sorts. Likewise Putrid is a 'reverse heal'; it only has equivalent worth if it always deals its damage. Having it only deal a measely 2 damage after first successfully checking against the terrain modifier would be quite lame. Incidentally, afflicting an enemy unit with poison results in 'damage to an enemy when it doesn't accomplish something' during successive turns.
Tieom

Post by Tieom »

Putrid would probably be fine if it didn't stack.

As an alternative, instead of actually doing damage, how about an ability that prevents adjacent units (either only enemy or both enemy and friendly) from being healed? Sort of like an auto-poison that doesnt stick around and doesn't actually do any damage itself.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

Why dont you post your ideas in the wiki page?
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Baltar

Post by Baltar »

Mkgego wrote:Why dont you post your ideas in the wiki page?
You can actually propose new ideas there??
Circon

Post by Circon »

Baltar wrote:
Mkgego wrote:Why dont you post your ideas in the wiki page?
You can actually propose new ideas there??
Yes. And you can talk to God. I'm not sure anyone listens in either case, though...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Circon wrote:
Baltar wrote: You can actually propose new ideas there??
Yes. And you can talk to God. I'm not sure anyone listens in either case, though...
I listen to that page. and edit it to tell what i think it wrong with the ideas. and delete the stupidest ones... wait, you didn't read that. *delete*
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Wow, turin is God. :shock: :wink:
Baltar wrote:Revenge only deals the damage when the attacker landed the hit
Baltar wrote:afflicting an enemy unit with poison results in 'damage to an enemy when it doesn't accomplish something' during successive turns.
the point is that the revenger has not had to get a hit in, while the poisoner has.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Dacyn wrote:Wow, turin is God. :shock: :wink:
Baltar wrote:Revenge only deals the damage when the attacker landed the hit
Baltar wrote:afflicting an enemy unit with poison results in 'damage to an enemy when it doesn't accomplish something' during successive turns.
the point is that the revenger has not had to get a hit in, while the poisoner has.
Actually, I think we should make a major distinction here - certain units attack with weapons, others attack with bare parts of their body.

Now, let's say you are attacking a proverbial spike monster. If you hit him with your fist, like a troll whelp, you're really gonna get hurt. If you hit him with a sword, not much is likely to happen to you.

This ability would be very useful for slime monsters/spike monsters, but should take into account whether the opponent has a weapon, or is attacking with part of their body.

And yes, this means recoding a bunch of WML files. Tough bounce - if we do it, do it right.
Bander

Post by Bander »

I was thinking of a similar ability, called "dark aura" or something, where when a melee attack hit the target, the attacker would be hurt due to some mysterious dark field of energy that would deal 3 or 4 damage per hit. It would be due to proximity to the caster and not physical contact.

It would be defense only. I was thinking that the dark adept, who annoys me by having no close range attack, or defense. Or you could just give it a magic attack that could only be used in defense, and deals minimal damage, say a 1-4 cold magic attack that could only be used in defense.

I do like that "thorned" idea, but it does bring the weapons question that Jertyl so effectively posed. You could rename it "empathy" or something similar and have the defender share half of its's pain with the attacker.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Re: Ideas: Some new Abilities

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Revenge- could be replaced with "Spiked" where the unit automaticaly does 1[level] damage if it is succesfully attacked in melee, the additional effect cannot plant a kill

putrid- could be replaced with "Shockwave" where the unit automaticaly does 1[level] damage to all adjected units, again the additional effect cannot plant a kill

Frenetic- could be replaced with "Fanatic" would stay the same, but the unit could only attack multiple times if it does and will not move that turn.

I think the others are fine.