Wesnoth Player's rating

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

brisingrbolt

Wesnoth Player's rating

Post by brisingrbolt »

Hey fellow wesnothian warriors! On a scale of 1 to 10, what would you rate Wesnoth? My rating would be a 10. :D
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Wesnoth Player's rating

Post by Zerovirus »

I'll say it now, everyone's going to say 10. Why wouldn't they? Only the most fervent fans make regular posts on these forums.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Zerovirus wrote:I'll say it now, everyone's going to say 10.
What about Spinal Tap?

And uh... 9 If we're only counting default content; 6-7.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

brisingrbolt wrote:Hey fellow wesnothian warriors! On a scale of 1 to 10, what would you rate Wesnoth?
I sense the presence of biased ratings.

Also, moved.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

What?
Kind of a pointless topic... anyone active enough on the forums to post in this topic would like wesnoth, and as Zero said, most people would rate at least a 9 or 10.

But, whatever.... 10 for me. :roll:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Okay, then I'll take the Unpleasable N00b hat and rate it for posterity.

Capn' Wrathbow gets e-cookies for channeling my thoughts.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Hmmmm...

I would say, in my professional game critic opinion, that this game would rate a 8/10 stars. The gameplay is fast and easy to learn, the story is quite well thought out, and the artwork is good. The only things I seem to have trouble with that I removed the 2 points from is the default campaigns, especially with no default drake campaign, and also a few things, such as gameplay with fairly unoriginal quest conditions for most of the default scenarios. 9There are some exceptions, however)

So, once again, I say a 8/10
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Oh well, what the hell, I'll give it... say a 6. I'm totally unable to play campaigns, maybe because just the availability of debug mode and/or save/loading spoils it for me. For some reason, I'm unable to play it the way it should be. I do think the game is great otherwise, and I enjoy MP, but I am not really the regular/competitive player, and almost every time I have time for and feel like having a good match, nothing worth mentionning is ever available and/or my games don't fill (you get sick of conqeusts, survivals, collosseums and Isars Crosses, after a while. Or maybe it's just me. And I don't particularly like MP RPGs because they're so long.)

But anyway, what saves the game for me (because otherwise I'd long since bailed on it) is the great modding capabilities.

But hey, as I said, I think the gameplay is real interesting and everything is really well done - keep it up! It's just me being weird and stuff.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dixie wrote:Oh well, what the hell, I'll give it... say a 6. I'm totally unable to play campaigns, maybe because just the availability of debug mode and/or save/loading spoils it for me.
That'd spoil the fun in possibly 80% of the first-person shooters and sidescrolling platformers out there since the middle of the nineties. Unless the player has a sense of self-control and competitiveness. Similarly, despite the availability of detailed movie plot summaries in the Internet, you usually can avoid spoiling yourself and enjoy the movie in a theater before going to check extra information about it out there! ;)

In my other-genre-games analogy, there might be a problem with Wesnoth's easy availability of debug mode in singleplayer — this is, debug mode can be triggered by an easily guessable command instead of a clever cheat code. However, the movie/Internet analogy might demonstrate how you can avoid falling in this trap even if the option is always in front of your eyes, at the bottom of the game screen.

So, yes, this is definitely and extreme YMMV issue that might not be fully relevant for rating Wesnoth at other websites, for example.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

How can you even really rate a project that's still in development? :P
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

Probably a five, for various reasons. I do very much like that it's not terribly difficult to create User Made Content.
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I'm surprised that people have been rating this seriously, with thought and effort instead of spam and derision.

I guess I'm just a hypocritical pessimist.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

I'd say 8: It would have been higher if it weren't for the multiplayer community. Mainly that a large amount of people don't have many add-ons as well as that so many people have very little patience (and that when one person leaves, almost everyone else does too).
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I'd have to say maybe an 8 altogether.
Gameplay style: AWESOME!!! Let me say it again, awesome! It's like [acronym=The greatest board game of all time!!!]RISK[/acronym], but...awesomer.(10)
The World of Wesnoth: Moderate overall, but excellent as far as fantasy goes. (7)
Ease of access: AWESOME!!! (10)
Graphics: seven
Mainline campaigns: 6 (NR, DW, and THoT were the only campaigns nearing awesomeness IMO)
Basic idea: Great! (8) How can you not like an open-source game? It's every gamer's dream come true! (Well, my brother's anyway)
Multiplayer: I will refrain on commenting on multiplayer because I don't go on there, like, ever.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
norbert

Post by norbert »

Crushmaster wrote:Probably a five, for various reasons.
Five out of ten? In my country, the Netherlands, that means a work is insufficient. Surely you must've enjoyed it more than that in the past? You joined the forum more than two years ago and it seems some aspects of the game still entertain you (e.g. you're working on Onslaught). Are you sure you're rating Wesnoth itself and not how you currently like it? There are so many (free flash) games out there, why would you even play a game that scores only 5/10 a second time? Even if you no longer enjoy the game but had some weeks of playing pleasure, isn't that sufficient for at least a 6/10 rating?