orcs vs kalgna

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

derwq the man

orcs vs kalgna

Post by derwq the man »

this game is aginst the ai, a random map wich happened to have a massive mountain in the middle, the ai also just so happened ot be kalgna allicance or howeber you spell their name, i was orcs as always. pretty much i wanna know how i could have possible won this or done better. or if it was basicly impossible and i should get over it.
lucky for me it was the ai ;)

it only took me 5 trys to get the file posted corectly...WOOO go me
If you liked this post my name is John Carlyle and i live in California.

If you didnt like this post my name is Chris Angier and i live in Alaska.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

why did you move (non-orcish) assassins through mountains? Why did you recruit nagas at all? I think you needed to send some fighters into the mountains... but the dwarves do have an advantage over you in that terrain, so this map is not particularly balanced...
derwq the man

Post by derwq the man »

the first batch of naga i wanted to reach the river, the second one i clicked the wrong unit and them used the make more of last unit hotkey out of habit, turns out its not undo-able :(

and what do u mean by non-orcish assasin all assassins are orcish
saurians?

i made those cuz several killed ulfserkers in 1 on 1 in the mountains and they appered to be the only thing that could accually hit them in the mountains.

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

derwq the man wrote:the first batch of naga i wanted to reach the river, the second one i clicked the wrong unit and them used the make more of last unit hotkey out of habit, turns out its not undo-able :(
yes, i do think there should be some way around this; but i can't think of a way that allows it without letting the user cheat by undoing to get good traits...
derwq the man wrote:and what do u mean by non-orcish assasin all assassins are orcish

saurians?
he probably means thieves...

derwq the man wrote:i made those cuz several killed ulfserkers in 1 on 1 in the mountains and they appered to be the only thing that could accually hit them in the mountains.
i would have advised using grunts. ulfserkers are expensive, grunts are cheap, and grunts have good defense in mountains too...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

derwq the man wrote:the first batch of naga i wanted to reach the river
I didn't watch the entire replay (who has that kind of time?), but I am assuming they got killed by the incoming dwarves. Bad decision...
derwq the man wrote:and what do u mean by non-orcish assasin all assassins are orcish
No they're not.
derwq the man wrote:several killed ulfserkers in 1 on 1 in the mountains
:shock: how do you beat them at melee with only a 8-1 attack?
derwq the man wrote:and they appered to be the only thing that could accually hit them in the mountains.
um, CTH is not an attribute. I don't know what you're talking about...
turin wrote:i can't think of a way that allows it without letting the user cheat by undoing to get good traits...
What about not generating traits until the user makes a non-undoable move or until he selects "Update Shroud Now"?
derwq the man

Post by derwq the man »

what do you mean by non-orchish assassin i figued u meant saurians, the saurians beat ulfserkers in close range combat in the mountains, the assassins i moved into the mountains cuz i had to poison something to even stand a chance, the grunts for a meat sheild, archers to kill non-ranged enemys naga i wanted to reach river and take river towns and cut off his reinforcments,wolf riders cuz i wanted pillagers, trolls cuz dwarfs are weak aginst crushing damage (i think) its in the wiki anyway, + they regenerate.

now another question how do you counter poachers, they anoyed me in both attackes around the mountain, they level up uber quick and have a better attack stats aginst orcish archers (same 1 less damage but the fire 1 more time) so they have higher chance of doing damage, near the end one even killed my troll in melee combat, that made me mad.

what assassin isnt orcish.
cant be theifs northeners dont have them and he said why did i move them into mountains.

u said there was a non-orcish one then u refered to an orc assassin, 8-1 damage.

Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

derwq the man wrote:what do you mean by non-orchish assassin
As the link shows, I meant that Orcish Assassins have no property that makes them orcish except their name, and that is why I will call them "non-orcish assassins" from now on. Also I was trying to point out that while you had several units that were good in hills, you chose the unit that wasn't.
derwq the man wrote:the assassins i moved into the mountains cuz i had to poison something to even stand a chance
But why onto the mountains? There was a grass battle going on...
derwq the man wrote:dwarfs are weak aginst crushing damage (i think)
They're not...
derwq the man wrote:its in the wiki anyway
where?
derwq the man wrote:what assassin isnt orcish.
The Orcish Assassin. It is Orcish, but not orcish.
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Dacyn wrote:What about not generating traits until the user makes a non-undoable move or until he selects "Update Shroud Now"?
This is an interesting idea. What about not levelling up until the unit is attacked, moves, ends its turn etc? IOW, not immediately after gaining the required xp, but the -next- time the unit is involved. Provided the next time it is about to be involved irrevocably, it levels up -first- before completing its action (or suffering the action of an enemy unit).
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
derwq the man

Post by derwq the man »

bad plan

autolycus

Post by autolycus »

bad plan, bed pan, whatever... perhaps it would be good if you indicated what is a bad plan and why... :wink:
-GMH
derwq the man

Post by derwq the man »

it might be a good plan

i say bad plan because a highly experianced unit can level up wile in a fight, ive had a troll with 9 health and 24/25(something like that) get attacked by a poacher he leveled up and i was happy. if it was your way he would die :(

but u could see that as bad. soooo its an inbetween plan

quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Since leveling up usually gives a unit more life and heals them instantly, delaying this would make a huge difference with the strategy. How many times have we attacked an enemy when out unit at 15 HP, but only needed 3 XP to level. It's a gamble. But if you don't get the health fillup and boost immediatly, then it changes the strategy a lot.

I like it the way it is.
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

Actually, he wouldn't die. Let me explain.

Assume unit A has a few hp left.
Unit A attacks, hits.
Unit B defends, misses.
End of Unit A's round.
Unit A levels up but does not get extra hp until the next action occurs.
Unit B attacks...
[Unit A gets his extra hp and his traits and everything!]
...hits and finds out the hard way that Unit A has learnt enough to become a strong resilient ranger with extra hp etc!

It would be fun to see your opponent realise how much you have learnt from fighting him...
:wink:
-GMH
Circon

Post by Circon »

Breaks KISS, IMO.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

autolycus wrote:...hits and finds out the hard way that Unit A has learnt enough to become a strong resilient ranger with extra hp etc!

It would be fun to see your opponent realise how much you have learnt from fighting him...
:wink:
That's the main flaw with the idea: it hides information that shouldn't be hidden, in a strange way.

P.S.
Dacyn wrote:Orcish Assassins have no property that makes them orcish except their name
Orcish_Assassin.cfg wrote:race=orc
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.