Error in file:<unknown>

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
beetlenaut
Developer

Error in file:<unknown>

Post by beetlenaut »

Wesnoth runs campaigns, but if I select multiplayer, I get this error:

Code: Select all

Unterminated quoted string, value '
' at <unknown>:356
Multiplayer worked this morning, now something is broken. I did change one file in multiplayer/factions, but I copied the original back over it later, so nothing should be different from a regular installation. What could cause this? How can I figure out what file is causing the problem?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: Error in file:<unknown>

Post by gfgtdf »

have you tried deleting your cache directory or pressing F5 ?
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I'm working on a campaign, so I press F5 all day. I hadn't tried deleting the cache directory entirely, but that didn't fix it either.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

have you eliminated add-ons as a reason by switching to an empty tempory userdata directory?
if you run a self compiled version you could maybe also check the correctness of your data directoy with git diff.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Yes, with an empty add-ons folder, the game shows the same error. I hadn't tried git diff in the data directory. That was a good idea, but it doesn't show anything.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

beetlenaut wrote:Yes, with an empty add-ons folder, the game shows the same error. I hadn't tried git diff in the data directory. That was a good idea, but it doesn't show anything.
Let's make this clear: You *are* using a github checkout for wesnoth trunk, and git diff (at the project root!) shows no changes at all ? (Why did you do the copy-replace thing in the first place then ? Git can do this much more elegantly for you.)
Perhaps something is ignored by git, such as EOL changes, or encoding things (UTF-8 etc). Such things could cause weird startup errors at least.
Of course, you could run wesnoth with --log-debug=all or similar and see whether it gives you useful info and/or run under a debugger (you are a dev, aren't you ?).
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Anonymissimus wrote:(you are a dev, aren't you ?)
Yes, but that was so I could help maintain Dead Water, not because I work on the code. I do write my own small apps, but I'm just a hobbyist. I don't know how work with a project of this size or use all the tools that are available in the development environment. I just looked at git for the first time a couple weeks ago, so I do know how to use it to get the latest version, but that's all really. I don't know how to use it for anything else or even all it can do. SO, I'm afraid "developer" is not really accurate.

Anyway, I did find the problem. It's a bug, and I will post a bug report. A special note attached to a unit in a map.cfg file was causing the error. The string is actually terminated, but it spans several lines. I assume that's the issue because the error message seems to have a line break in it. I don't know why you only get the error when you select multiplayer. I had never used --log-debug before, but that was enough to tell me it was loading a map when the error occurred, so I deleted the editor folder. That put me on the path of finding the issue, so thank you. Now we know why git diff didn't show anything. (I did think of trying it at the root.)
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Alright, nice.

--log-debug=domain1,domain2,... is always a good shot when trying to track down weird wml errors in one's addon, gives info in addition to the usual stderr messages, and only requires knowledge about how to run a program from a command line. (nothing about git or compilation). Also good idea to attach that log to any bug report.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign