Battle for Wesnoth on Steam

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Battle for Wesnoth on Steam

Post by Pentarctagon »

This might just be youtube, but there is not a 1080p version available for this one. It was youtube.

Also, for the text, maybe center it instead of left-justifying it?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I somehow think that the story images should not get that much time in the video. They play only a minor role in the game. The problem I see disturbing about it is that it bears similarity to [acronym=Turn off whatever adBlock you have and you'll see that piss]many crappy browser pay2win MMORPGs with extremely bad 2D graphics that depend on pictures related to the game rather than any game content when advertising[/acronym]. Their adverts blatantly lie about pretty much everything and this could make wesnoth remind people of these despicable money factories.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Dugi wrote:I somehow think that the story images should not get that much time in the video. They play only a minor role in the game. The problem I see disturbing about it is that it bears similarity to [acronym=Turn off whatever adBlock you have and you'll see that piss]many crappy browser pay2win MMORPGs with extremely bad 2D graphics that depend on pictures related to the game rather than any game content when advertising[/acronym]. Their adverts blatantly lie about pretty much everything and this could make wesnoth remind people of these despicable money factories.
yeah, i think that too, i don't think the story images should get any time there at all, since we are advertising a game, not a picture album :lol:
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

ForestDragon wrote:
Dugi wrote:I somehow think that the story images should not get that much time in the video. They play only a minor role in the game. The problem I see disturbing about it is that it bears similarity to [acronym=Turn off whatever adBlock you have and you'll see that piss]many crappy browser pay2win MMORPGs with extremely bad 2D graphics that depend on pictures related to the game rather than any game content when advertising[/acronym]. Their adverts blatantly lie about pretty much everything and this could make wesnoth remind people of these despicable money factories.
yeah, i think that too, i don't think the story images should get any time there at all, since we are advertising a game, not a picture album :lol:
The story images are fine to include, I think, but it would probably be better have them show more rapidly and as the full image rather than with the panning.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

And it should show some character art over the story art background because it's better, more-interesting art.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

The music is really great but, i agree with others about the images. It's fine to include 2 or 3 high quality story art, but show them rapidly and in full size. How about including character art in the trailer ? Some portraits are extremely high quality, and will surely attract a lot of people.
One thing you could do is show the portraits in rapid succession- kind of like a rapid - fire mode.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

yeah, showing story images/portraits at fast speed would greatly benefit the overall performance of the trailer

well here are some benefits of having bfw on steam i can think of:
more people means:
1.a lot more players (obvious :annoyed: )
2.a lot more feedback providers (every UMC developer wouls be happy due to that ^_^ )
3.more UMC creators

also, my opinion about auto update function:
maybe make it manual, since there are still some addons for older versions, and having a situation like: "what a nice day... WAIT! WHERE THE **** ARE MY ADDONS?!!!"
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

ForestDragon wrote:yeah, showing story images/portraits at fast speed would greatly benefit the overall performance of the trailer

well here are some benefits of having bfw on steam i can think of:
more people means:
1.a lot more players (obvious :annoyed: )
2.a lot more feedback providers (every UMC developer wouls be happy due to that ^_^ )
3.more UMC creators
4. hopefully more people willing/able to contribute to mainline
ForestDragon wrote:also, my opinion about auto update function:
maybe make it manual, since there are still some addons for older versions, and having a situation like: "what a nice day... WAIT! WHERE THE **** ARE MY ADDONS?!!!"
That... is actually a bit of a question. Add-ons are only supposed compatible with updates within the same stable branch (1.10, 1.12, etc), so would Wesnoth need to be re-uploaded to steam for each new stable branch? Or is there a way to auto-upgrade from, say, 1.12.5 -> 1.12.6, but require a manual upgrade (perhaps with a warning about add-ons) from 1.12.6 -> 1.14.0?
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Pentarctagon wrote:Add-ons are only supposed compatible with updates within the same stable branch (1.10, 1.12, etc), so would Wesnoth need to be re-uploaded to steam for each new stable branch? Or is there a way to auto-upgrade from, say, 1.12.5 -> 1.12.6, but require a manual upgrade (perhaps with a warning about add-ons) from 1.12.6 -> 1.14.0?
exactly
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Maybe it is possible to offer more than one >Game in the Steam-Library"<. Means, if you "buy" Wesnoth on Steam, you get three versions added into your library, which are always the last three branches of Wesnoth.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Bitron wrote:Maybe it is possible to offer more than one >Game in the Steam-Library"<. Means, if you "buy" Wesnoth on Steam, you get three versions added into your library, which are always the last three branches of Wesnoth.
well, how about a different approach on the matter:
maybe the ability to choose between versions (there will maybe be an addon-server-like menu, where you can just download new/old versions instead,)

but otherwise, interesting idea
Bitron
Developer

Post by Bitron »

Or maybe a Launcher like e.g. Minecraft has?
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Bitron wrote:Maybe it is possible to offer more than one >Game in the Steam-Library"<. Means, if you "buy" Wesnoth on Steam, you get three versions added into your library, which are always the last three branches of Wesnoth.
That is not possible. After being accepted through Greenlight, Wesnoth would only get one slot.
Pentarctagon wrote:That... is actually a bit of a question. Add-ons are only supposed compatible with updates within the same stable branch (1.10, 1.12, etc), so would Wesnoth need to be re-uploaded to steam for each new stable branch?
Yes (but Steam uploads only the difference, which helps).
Or is there a way to auto-upgrade from, say, 1.12.5 -> 1.12.6, but require a manual upgrade (perhaps with a warning about add-ons) from 1.12.6 -> 1.14.0?
No, but you could keep old versions as optional branches in the "beta options". This way players could keep older versions after an update.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

beetlenaut wrote:And it should show some character art over the story art background because it's better, more-interesting art.
Sudipta wrote: Some portraits are extremely high quality, and will surely attract a lot of people.
I know that LordBob have character portraits with full background ( https://www.behance.net/gallery/1363349 ... or-Wesnoth ), also there are some cool full arts from WTactics that can be used, all with much higher quality than storyline images.

But portraits of characters without any reason why they are presented do not have much sense even they are beautiful.
Moreover, many portraits (without background of course) are already presented at the moment when the tralier shows campaigns.

What would be fine is to show wesnoth races with portraits of units of that races (one per race) and with corresponding landscape in the game.
For example, orcs on their orcish castle and some suitable landscape and some orcish portrait saying something, elvish castle in the forest with elvish portrait, sunken castle with mermens and mermen portrait, dwarwes in caves with their cool castles and so on.

But in general, is not it too late for new ideas? I think that better to put Wesnoth on steam asap and the trailer could be changed later, for now this one will do. Or it will take much time again because it seems ancestral do not have much time.
_____
Aside from that, I think that it may have some sense to reduce resolution in some scenes so the quality of sprites would be clearly seen. For now units looks too small.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I'm locking this thread. Any Greenlight-related discussion should now be conduced on the official discussion thread here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44366
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?