Home of the North Elves troubles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Home of the North Elves troubles

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

The army of Konrad the Mighty lingered on the verge of the battlefield, deciding on a plan. They had recieved word that their planned route wended its way between two warring factions.

Konrad: Let's start by killing those Orcs!

The army charged. They met a small party of Orcs at the foot of their hills, which were struck down by Konrad's elite shock troops. Then they marched on the Orcs' main encampment. Many Orcs were slain, including their Warlord.

Konrad: Ha! We've killed the Orcs, now let's kill those Loyalists!

They marched south. A solitary Dragoon attacked the army's master wizard, but was arrested by the shock troops and executed. Then they preceded in a mighty charge upon the Loyalist forces. However, when they were only partway there...

Delfador: We are SO totally defeated. *commits suicide*

-----
Basically, I think there are two few turns. It was nice back when there were 40 turns. Yes, waiting in the forest was boring, but why do you have to wait at all? It seems much more reasonable to put back the turns and win upon entry.

EDIT: After de-fogging and watching the replay, I have concluded that all the forces involved are totally wimpy as well. Konrad should be able to beat the Loyalists, Orcs, and Elves all ganged up on him at this point.
Attachments
Home_of_the_North_Elves_replay-Stupid!.zip
(38.25 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

The more I play HotNE, the more things I find wrong in the scenario.
  • Konrad fought instead of running for a couple turns. Whoops, we'll never make it.
  • Hmm, there are no enemies in sight, and Delfador only has two open hexes next to him anyway. Whoops, he just got killed.
  • Hooray, we've killed almost all the enemies. Whoops, the time ran out.
  • Konrad waits a turn for his army to catch up. Whoops, time's running out.
  • Konrad spends a couple turns recruiting. Whoops, now we're all going to die.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Invisible Philosopher

Re: Home of the North Elves troubles

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Basically, I think there are two few turns. It was nice back when there were 40 turns. Yes, waiting in the forest was boring, but why do you have to wait at all? It seems much more reasonable to put back the turns and win upon entry.
Agreed. If giving a bonus is a problem (I don't know), then just don't give bonus for winning by reaching the Elves.
Elvish Pillager wrote:After de-fogging and watching the replay, I have concluded that all the forces involved are totally wimpy as well. Konrad should be able to beat the Loyalists, Orcs, and Elves all ganged up on him at this point.
If Eonihar says the Orcs and Loyalists are powerful, then they should be powerful. I don't think the scenario was designed to be another "kill enemies for experience" scenario either. If it's supposed to be a scenario where you run and hack your way through two opposing armies (with only natural effects making you lose if you dawdle too long), then someone should make it so. Right now the way to win is run through with Konrad and a few helpers and hope no one gets killed on the way. It really depends quite a bit on luck currently - where the AI goes and how much damage it does if it attacks you.
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

generally it seems that the "running" scenarios require way too short a time to get where your going. HotNE takes more than half the alloted turns for Konrad to get where he needs to be and Dwarven Doors takes exactly half. For HotNE I would suggest the following:

limit the units to just a few units (Konrad, Kalenz, Delfador, Li'sar, and maybe a couple of units randomly chosen from the recall list or chosen for speed). Make up some excuse for this, like "we are in a hurry and must arrive at the elven council in three days time. We will leave the rest of the army to catch up when they can" . Reduce the AIs targetting of Konrad and the others, so that, as long as you don't get too close, the two sides happily fight. Extend the amount of time you have. Set village and bonus gold to 0. motivate/inform of this with "we are moving through a war ravaged land where the villages lie empty of anything of value". By doing this, you suddenly make it reasonable for D to say that you should avoid the orcs and loyalists, as opposed to the current best strategy which is to wipe the orcs out.
scott

Post by scott »

The concepts behind the current HotNE and dwarved doors should be swapped.

DD should be: you fight your way through with a slight time crunch and HotNE should be: run your ass off away from strong enemies with a moderate time crunch. It would work when swapped because in HotNE you know exactly where you need to go and you are told that this is your strategy.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Shade

Post by Shade »

scott wrote:The concepts behind the current HotNE and dwarved doors should be swapped.
Agreed.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

The problem with just running in HotNE is that there is little shelter on the best path for avoiding engaging the enemies. A few more clumps of forest in the plains along the SW/NE diagonal would help tremendously in reducing the luck factor, considering fog is part of the scenario.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Ok, at least DD will be changed in the right way!
HotNE was always kind of odd, with Delf saying we must avoid engaging
at all costs, which turned out to be impossible. In the Wesnoth 0.7-?
days I remember getting Krad to the forest and recruiting from there
I think it makes sense to make your objectives: get Krad to the forest ASAP, but then help the elves fend off orcs+loyalists, gaining both experience and gold?!

There are good reasons why the elves in HotNE should be strong, at least
in the forest, as this is the outcome of at least 2 other campaigns...
Maybe the elves come out to help Krad get to the forest, but then they get caught in the middle and Krad needs to recruit from his keep in the forest to save them?

One way of implementing this is have a sizeable orcish army chase the rebels from early on from the North-west , elves coming out in also sizeable numbers to make the save, thus enabling Krad to run to the forest, then (or somewhere in between)the loyalists arriving
then Krad's forces coming out of the forest to defeat all enemies...