Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Gwiti the initiate, portrait image

Post by fmunoz »

This is an unfnished image of the protagonist of the undead campaign..
Any comments (yes, this also means you Circon :-) )?
Circon

Post by Circon »

Heh. You have the hang of drawing, I'll grant you that, but the style is very very strange to me.

The gloved right hand doesn't seem attached to the rest of the arm. The hand is sharply defined, while the red looks like a cape in the background.

Too much hair, too little cape. He has a hood, remember?
Whats with the face? He's an Initiate (atleast once I get the name changed[1]), not some guy whos had his face half blown off when fiddling with things beyond his control.
Both of the above points lead to this one: He looks too old! Hey, he has an elder brother in the first scenario! Right now the pic looks very Sephiroth-inspired and about 35. Gwiti is closer to 25.

[1] The "Dark apprentice, evil necromancer" etc was a quick-and-dirty fix to make him different from the Dark adept and _his_ advance path.
Much obliged if somebody could find the time to edit the following in all places:
Dark apprentice --> Initiate
Evil Necromancer --> Deathmaster
and his final two stages are
Lich
Demilich
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

It's a good idea to have not a normal unit as leader, to use a special one... so the player got more attached to the leader.
The image is unfinished I just scanned the pencil drawing (not inked yet) and put some layers of colour over it, so some (most) details are missing.
I can do a sprite for him. so no hood requiered :-), when I asked you about a visual description of the main character I wanted something like him: i.e Raven haired man with a couple of white hair streaks, wearing dark clothes. Half of his face is under a silver mask, some hints of horrid disfigurement could be seen below it. He's very buff for a necromancer"
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

He looks too old eh? I thought he looked young. I guess you know you are old when the deformed leaders of the undead horde start looking young :-P
zwol

Post by zwol »

Circon wrote:The "Dark apprentice, evil necromancer" etc was a quick-and-dirty fix to make him different from the Dark adept and _his_ advance path.
Much obliged if somebody could find the time to edit the following in all places:
Dark apprentice --> Initiate
Evil Necromancer --> Deathmaster
and his final two stages are
Lich
Demilich
"Demi" means "lesser" or "half". Suggest either going deathmaster -> demilich -> lich, or deathmaster -> lich -> arch-lich.

Yeah, D&D got this wrong. (Sort of. A demilich in D&D is a very old, deteriorating lich, and as I understand it was supposed to be weaker, but they screwed up the balancing so it wasn't. I don't know if this got fixed in 3e.)
Circon

Post by Circon »

What's D&D? I pinched the Demilich from http://angband.oook.cz.

Okay,, then Dark Adept-->Deathmaster-->Demilich-->Archlich, so that we can keep separate the line Dark Apprentice-->Necro-->Lich.

I've been working on a sprite for Gwiti, with a red cape, but it is utter crap, even after I read the tutorials on Pixelation. Will better it, though.

fmunoz: Here's a 'description'. Nice having somewhere to say it. It's from the viewpoint of a noble peeing in his pants as Gwiti comes in. The setting is where Gwiti has used necromancy openly and is being condemned. It might be used as an introduction to the campaign, the way Heir to the Throne already has.
"Gwiti Ha'atel," shouts the herald, and you shake a moment before your arms grip tightly about your carved throne. The doors swing open before your men reach them- no, they are not swinging, they are off one hinge and leaning in.
In the stupidly melodramatic dust cloud you see a red figure. It is Gwiti Ha'atel who is come.
You remind yourself that he is the lesser here, that you have sent for him, and that he is to be punished, but you cannot quite stop yourself shaking.
As he walks towards you, you catch glimpses of two black orbs in a sunken face, staring out from under the hood of a red cape that reaches to the floor and gives the illusion that he is floating, not walking.
"My Lord." His voice makes you shiver, and is filled with a dreadful contempt.
You swallow, and stammer out: "Sir Gwiti, you are aware that your actions at the Battle of Dracil, three days ago, were clearly forbidden. The- the- magic that you used-"
"Just say it. Necromancy."
"has been forbidden to practice for six hundred years."
Gwiti throws back his hood, revealing utterly black eyes that bore into your skull. His hair is black and young, but cannot hide the fact that his skin is stretched taut, pale, and black above his eyes. "Don't be scared of the word, my lord. And you shouldn't be frightened of necromancy either. After all, it won us the battle.
What you should be scared of, is me."
"Bind him!" you cry, and three mages step out from behind pillars. In unison, they aim their wands at Gwiti, momentarily binding him in green spell-chains.
Your courage returns as the mage informs you that he cannot escape. You tell Gwiti that he is condemned, and may from this day forward, regard himself as a dead man.
He merely grins in an unnerving way, black eyes combining with the near lack of a nose and pale lips to strike fear into you.

Thinking back, you cannot remember the rest of the day. But what you do remember brings a smile to your lips as you think of the three weeks he was made to spend in the lowest dungeon of your castle. Your smile grows even greater as he is led onto the rudderless ship that is to lead him-
"-and for the risk of your necromancy having a foul effect upon your body if buried on our fair shores, you are therefore to die at sea, and the ocean floor shall be your tomb." The herald rolls up his scroll of judgement, and the guards prod Gwiti up onto the ship.
But fate had a way of interfering...
Gwiti did not die at sea. Unknown to anyone, his elder brother was already aboard the ship. Together they managed to set a course, and came to a new land.
But not all went well for them either. Their dabbling in necromancy gave both of them a lesser strength, and shorter tempers, and one day...

<skip to first mission>

Of course, he's changed slightly since the expulsion. So to summarize: Red cape. Black, soulless eyes, somewhat like the empty eye sockets of a skeleton. Taut skin. I notice you already made it fairly pale- dunno if it should be changed any more.
Suggestions?
I know, I know, if I offend you too much or have too many details, you'll leave me drawing the image myself, right?
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Something like this?
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Oooh, I like that a LOT better than the first draft. I think his face looks too innocent but the outfit is fantastic.
azlan

Great..

Post by azlan »

Yes fmunoz your realy good at painting.. But i think he looks to be alive.. Is he supposed to be alive?? :)
|----------------------|
| The Lion is Back |
|----------------------|
Circon

Post by Circon »

Heh, very good work. I'd go as far as "great". But I agree with Woodwizzle... face looks too innocent. Gwiti is young, but his face has pale, stretched skin. In making him young, you opened the eyes too far- I think making them like the mask in the first pic is all thats needed.
And you were probably right the first time: The white streaks in the hair add a lot to the effect.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

I could change the 1st image (and the 2nd a bit) to be used as Gwiti elder brother and for 2nd level...
Just an idea.
Satan

Post by Satan »

mutter...