Wesnoth Performance

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

AMD Athlon 700 MHz
128 MB RAM
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model64
MS Windows 2000 SP2
screen resolution 1152x864

scrolling map... 13
computer moving units... 38
my units move... sorry, the numbers jump like crazy :shock:
xtifr

something offf the beaten track

Post by xtifr »

This was by way of an experiment. The result was suprisingly close to playable, though. Except for the scrolling speed.

Debian GNU/Linux (unstable)
Sun Sparc 4m (Fujitsu MB86904) 110 MHz
128 MB RAM
Sun CGsix video card
screen resolution: 1152x900x8
(note: using 1024x768 window, because full-screen mode does not work)

Map Scroll: 0 fps (seemed to be ~ 1 frame / 5-6 sec)
Units Move: 0-2 fps (averaging around 0.8 fps, I'd guess)
Just moving the cursor around (w/o scrolling): 2-4 fps
Title screen (for contrast): ~24 fps (or so it claims)

I wish you guys could see this, because it really might highlight where some of the bottlenecks are. This is (of course) with accelerated movement, but it actually takes longer to switch between characters than it does to move the characters (except, of course, when the character movement involves scrolling). And that's true for enemy/ally characters as well as my own. Curiously, though, it seems to take about the same amount of time to switch between characters even when scrolling is involved.
rangek

Post by rangek »

Fedora Core 3
Athlon Tbird 900MHz
256MB RAM
GeForce4 MX 440
nvidia driver 1.0.6629
resolution: 1280x1024
scrolling: 8-9
moving: 30-40, but always dips to 25 when it does that effect where only the hexes you can move to are lit.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

P2 450 MHz, Debian Sarge Linux

3-10 while scrolling, , ~50 when moving units.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Mac OS X 10.3.8
IBM/Motorola PowerPC G4@733mhz/133mhz bus
1.5GB RAM
GeForce3
resolution: 1280x1024
scrolling: 11-20fps
moving: 45-50 (As rangek said, there is a dip in speed during the "choose movement target" mode)

Probably the foremost "speed" problem our game has is that the scrolling speed is terrible. I know we can do better, because Ambrosia's "Harry the Handsome Executive" could scroll, in any direction, using complex trig functions to control the camera speed, at at least 30fps on a 200mhz 603ev. It was only 16-bit, but that should be more than eclipsed by the comparative power of the machine I am now on.

I strongly commend whatever was done to the unit movement drawing code - in the last version, it was pitiably slow/jumpy, but in this version, it is as smooth as silk.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Jetryl wrote: Probably the foremost "speed" problem our game has is that the scrolling speed is terrible. I know we can do better, because Ambrosia's "Harry the Handsome Executive" could scroll, in any direction, using complex trig functions to control the camera speed, at at least 30fps on a 200mhz 603ev.
I'm really not sure if we can do much better with scrolling speed, I'm afraid.

The way Wesnoth currently works is to construct the frame in a back buffer, and then move 'dirty rectangles' to the frame buffer. In the case of scrolling, the entire viewport is 'dirty', and so must be moved. I've done tests, and on my system, around 60% of the time taken while scrolling is in moving the viewport from the back buffer to the frame buffer.

The only way we could improve performance substantially is to somehow avoid this large data movement. For instance, if we could perform a movement in video memory of the area that is moving, and only have to redraw the new area that is revealed. However, I haven't found a way that this can be done in SDL.

Certainly, if we are to improve scrolling speed, we will have to find something in this regard. The code to actually construct the image only accounts for around 30% of the time taken, and so even if we were able to halve this (and that in itself would be hard), we'd only be getting an overall 15% improvement.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
vynaldo

Post by vynaldo »

Gentoo Linux 2004.3, Celeron 333mhz processor
NVIDIA Riva TNT video card
Resolution: 800x600
Scrolling: 7fps
Moving: ~50fps
telex4

Post by telex4 »

CPU: Mobile Intel Celeron CPU 2.00GHz
GPU: ATI IGP 320M, Xorg 6.8.2 radeon DRI driver
Resolution: 800x600
Scrolling: ~20fps
Units moving & fighting: 17fps-40fps
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

Mac OS X.3.8
PowerPC G3 400Mhz (512k L2 cache)
ATI Rage 128 Mobility (8MB)
512 MB RAM (PC100)

fps:
Scrolling: 9-10
Moving: 45-48 (if screen is not scrolling too)

Other:
Doing Nothing: 50fps (cap)
Title Screen: 77fps
AI Recruiting: 30fps

The game runs close to full framerate when moving units, but the scrolling speed is rather awful. Maybe a future release of SDL could improve performance? I remember that Dominions ran much better on OS X after a new version of SDL came out.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

rogue wrote:Mac OS X.3.8
512 MB RAM (PC100)

fps:

Other:

The game runs close to full framerate when moving units, but the scrolling speed is rather awful. Maybe a future release of SDL could improve performance? I remember that Dominions ran much better on OS X after a new version of SDL came out.
What was the method to try this? I'd be interested to compare my results with a 1,07GHz G4...
rogue
Code Contributor

Post by rogue »

Ankka wrote:
rogue wrote:Mac OS X.3.8
512 MB RAM (PC100)

fps:

Other:

What was the method to try this? I'd be interested to compare my results with a 1,07GHz G4...

I believe they don't want "how-to" discussion in this thread. Check out this thread in the tech support forum:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4591

If you need the updated binary, feel free to PM me your e-mail address and I will send it to you. It is about 1.1 MB.