program question

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which Is the better language to program Wesnoth and such type games?

Python
90%
Torque
10%

Total votes: 20

Hearold

Post by Hearold »

romnajin wrote:As far as I am concerned, a Python is a snake, and Torque has something to do with cars.
Boy, you really are in the dark!
Walk softly, carry a big stick.

--Theodore Roosevelt
szopen

Post by szopen »

No Lisp?
Hearold

Post by Hearold »

szopen wrote:No Lisp?
What are you talking about?
Walk softly, carry a big stick.

--Theodore Roosevelt
ryn

Post by ryn »

Lisp! The language of parentheses! The queen of all computer languages! The one and only language which actually uses its own datastructure as syntax! The only language which supports Lots of Irritating Superfluous Parentheses!

Well, quite seriously, it's probably the most advanced high-level language in existence. Much better than some random graphics engine and/or python, but I don't think it has standard OpenGL bindings or anything of the sort :D

Ironically, it hasn't changed much in the last 50 years. It was so ahead of its time that it never caught on, and bosses today are still afraid to use it for projects. If I live to become old enough to start a company, its first products will undoubtedly be in LISP, unless it's replaced before than.

PS: In case you didn't know, LisP stands for List Proccessing.
2B |! 2B = 3F
szopen

Post by szopen »

ryn wrote:Lisp! The language of parentheses! The queen of all computer languages! The one and only language which actually uses its own datastructure as syntax! The only language which supports Lots of Irritating Superfluous Parentheses!.
And BTW, how many games were written in LISP? I know only one: abuse, but maybe there were more?
ryn

Post by ryn »

I wrote a game of tic-tac-toe in Lisp once. Does that count? Oh, and there are numerous LISP Interactive Fiction games.
2B |! 2B = 3F
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

ryn wrote:I wrote a game of tic-tac-toe in Lisp once. Does that count? Oh, and there are numerous LISP Interactive Fiction games.
Eh, tic-tac-toe is extremely easy to program. I put it onto my calculator, where it remained until someone wiped my memory. But it was really unmodifiable, and the AI was basically a bunch of IFs for every possible configuration of the board. :P :roll:

It was harder to program than robots, though, and robots was much more fun to play.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Functional languages such as LISP are excellent for logical calculations, and especially for AI, however they tend to be weak at accomplishing I/O.

Writing an entire game that has a relatively complex UI such as Wesnoth in Lisp isn't going to be easy for that reason.

Writing portions of a game -- particularly the AI -- in a functional language is a great idea imo. In fact, it would be possible to write a Wesnoth AI that uses a functional language (LISP would be possible, though my preference would be Haskell).

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
kangounator

pygame

Post by kangounator »

there' a graphic library (for game) for python (with sprite,sound,music) which use SDL and is quite good http://www.pygame.org

but I am a little programmer who don't know well programming
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

As far as know about programming, I would say Python is better for Wesnoth, because Wesnoth is in 2D, so you can program with the SDL library. But once you want to program 3D games, you have to use OpenGL or OGRE (Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine) (I don't know if the last one works with Python, but I know it works with C++. have a look at: http://www.ogre3d.org)
ryn

Post by ryn »

Actually, Dave, since Lisp is not a pure functional language, you can have side-effects and have I/O as easily as in C/C++/Python/whatever it is people use these days. The problem is only that there are no portable, free, Graphics/Threading/Socket libraries. That really annoys me sometimes.

EDIT: about Haskell: extraordinary language, glad to hear I'm not a lone fan. I just wish it had Lisp macros and prefix syntax.
2B |! 2B = 3F
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Tux2B wrote:once you want to program 3D games, you have to use OpenGL or OGRE
Well, OGRE uses OpenGL, so basically you have to use OpenGL. :)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.