Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

frame wrote:
turin wrote: *shudder*

If we want to completely change the feel of the aragwaithi, we should go with these images.
Uhm, I'm not sure what you are complaining about here. It's quite obvious that neo's edits makes these units much easier on the eyes and more in line with the current art. Wayfarer's style is good, but it clashes with the style of all other units in the game.

I think they look very good, while retaining the look and consistency of the original units.
Ditto on this... these edits make them match the style most other factions were drawn in wihout actually changing what the look like.

:?
szopen

Post by szopen »

Kesternvarn :) I was just wondering... you know about what ;-)
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

frame wrote:

If we want to completely change the feel of the aragwaithi, we should go with these images.
Uhm, I'm not sure what you are complaining about here. It's quite obvious that neo's edits makes these units much easier on the eyes and more in line with the current art. Wayfarer's style is good, but it clashes with the style of all other units in the game.

I think they look very good, while retaining the look and consistency of the original units.
OBVIOUSLY Turin is complaining about -me- doing it, you may not notice it BUT TO EVERY SINGLE THING I MAKE Turin gives a negative responde, and I hate him for it.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

I can just smell it love is in the air.
Jetryl wrote:
lu_zero wrote:
Yes, but that's not the point. Looking at them with a proper transparency program, they do indeed look rather nice - in fact they are good enough that they should definitely be saved for something.

But they can't be used on a human unit, because it's "on a human unit." That's an order. It violates the laws of our fantasy world, in that human beings should deviate as little as possible from what humans are like in the real world. This includes that "humans don't suddenly transform into angels," save perhaps through death, and with regards to that - we're not going there.
Well lu_zero is right it should be a kind of aura and yes the destination for the ladies was to be the female permutation of the male magic-user line.

The male mage should get the same treatment but actual not wings but a ghost, an air spirit which looks over his shoulder. This aura should have been an indication for the source of their magic power is an alliance with a weird creature but yeah I will remove it.
Last edited by wayfarer on November 18th, 2005, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

frame wrote:

They are a little greener than before, I think. That's really the only huge difference, except of course for the style which was really quite different from what's currently in-game.
Thunderblade

Post by Thunderblade »

Hm... I just hope I´m not being too "presumptuous" in suggesting this, but...

Would you mind if I tried to define a general concept/history for the Aragwaith? When I say this, I speak of writing things that are expressed in your graphics (both Wayfarer´s and Neo´s ones are WONDERFUL ones), putting into paper the general feel of the Aragwaithi.

Just thought of that because as I´m not good at art or programming, the only thing I´m used to work is concept. I can try to write something, if you don´t mind... :)

(P.S.: I supose this has already been proposed here - and would like to work on a team, too... :))
Wild Elves playtesting! Come and give your comments!
The Sidhe Project
dtw

Post by dtw »

turin wrote:
Neoriceisgood wrote:Uh oh.
*shudder*

What feel? You mean the inability to actually see the basic features of the unit through the detail? Yeah, god forbid we should lose that feel of vagueness and general mess.

"That unit looks cool!"
"Yeah!"
"But what the [censored] is it?"
"Errr...I dunno, I think it's a guy with a bow and big cloak...."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

sorry, I forgot my " :P " .

My point was, although these do look more like Wesnoth units, they lose the feel of the faction. Although wayfarer's art has some problems (looking somewhat indistinct, etc), I would prefer to use his version than Neorice's, because they fit the feel of the faction much better.

PS: Neo, note how, once again, I am not bashing the art. The art is fine. The concept is the problem. :roll:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Neo, note how, once again, I am not bashing the art. The art is fine. The concept is the problem.
YOU are the problem Turin.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

turin wrote:sorry, I forgot my " :P " .

My point was, although these do look more like Wesnoth units, they lose the feel of the faction. Although wayfarer's art has some problems (looking somewhat indistinct, etc), I would prefer to use his version than Neorice's, because they fit the feel of the faction much better.

PS: Neo, note how, once again, I am not bashing the art. The art is fine. The concept is the problem. :roll:
The faction is hardly defined at all, so how one or the other could fit some sort of ~non-defined feel is beyond me. And what exactly is this concept that is so problematic? The only conceptual thing that can be pinpointed about neo's units that has any relevance is that they look like wesnoth units, and that is hardly a bad thing.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

wayfarer wrote:I can just smell it love is in the air.
:roll: it is like clockwork, the way those guys go at it.

wayfarer wrote:The male mage should get the same treatment but actual not wings but a ghost, an air spirit which looks over his shoulder. This aura should have been an indication for the source of their magic power is an alliance with a weird creature but yeah I will remove it.
It's a great concept, and it's even better art, but it's a bad combination of the two. The real problem comes from what the wings look like - they look too much like angel wings, and that's what most people would think when looking at them.

As for how to make the "air spirit" connection more apparent, I think I'd reserve drawing anything unless the unit was actually in the act of doing magic. Showing the air spirit shielding the unit on defense would be a better way of doing things.

The air spirit also needs a different appearance - I would shoot for a more cloud-like form - not bird-like, and give it eyes.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Thunderblade wrote:Hm... I just hope I´m not being too "presumptuous" in suggesting this, but...

Would you mind if I tried to define a general concept/history for the Aragwaith? When I say this, I speak of writing things that are expressed in your graphics (both Wayfarer´s and Neo´s ones are WONDERFUL ones), putting into paper the general feel of the Aragwaithi.

Just thought of that because as I´m not good at art or programming, the only thing I´m used to work is concept. I can try to write something, if you don´t mind... :)

(P.S.: I supose this has already been proposed here - and would like to work on a team, too... :))
Why not at the moment none of the units has descriptions.
A base wouldnt be bad.
Jetryl wrote:
wayfarer wrote:I can just smell it love is in the air.
:roll: it is like clockwork, the way those guys go at it.

wayfarer wrote:The male mage should get the same treatment but actual not wings but a ghost, an air spirit which looks over his shoulder. This aura should have been an indication for the source of their magic power is an alliance with a weird creature but yeah I will remove it.
It's a great concept, and it's even better art, but it's a bad combination of the two. The real problem comes from what the wings look like - they look too much like angel wings, and that's what most people would think when looking at them.

As for how to make the "air spirit" connection more apparent, I think I'd reserve drawing anything unless the unit was actually in the act of doing magic. Showing the air spirit shielding the unit on defense would be a better way of doing things.

The air spirit also needs a different appearance - I would shoot for a more cloud-like form - not bird-like, and give it eyes.
Back on the drawing board. The idea for the wings came me from some old drawings I have seen.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Nyr Oagorith

Post by Nyr Oagorith »

i think these would be a good substitute for the northern men who captured the wild steppe (which would be like the mongolian deserts [east of the far north]) from the orcs, and might be a better idea than barbarian men, considering when haldrics people first came to wesnoth they were already fairly "civilized", and also we would have to consider their relation with the desert elves in the southern desert if they were locaed there...
I am the one you seek
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Huh? Did you just pull a bunch of background info out of thin air? Desert elves only exist in the Post-Apocalyptic era, Haldric's people were the first humans to populate the Great Continent that we know of (so there were no Barbarian Men there), and the Aragwaithi really don't seem to have any of the traits that would be necessary to conquer a steppe area (they only have one horse unit!).

Can you please explain what you are talking about? :?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Nyr Oagorith

Post by Nyr Oagorith »

srry, i hadnt researched enough yet, but yes there are barbarian men, but their very vague, the rest is a mistake srry...
I am the one you seek