Drake Pillagers

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

MadMax wrote:a cataphract is actually a horse-mounted heavy warrior, called a cataphract because the horse is armored along with the rider.
That is only one of the many meanings of 'cataphract'; Among the others are Ancient Roman scale armor, and a kind of lizard scales, the second of which makes it particularly approprate for this unit (sort of.)
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I wonder, Can anyone check their temporarily internet files if there is like; Any of the old drake graphics that never got included in the game there? I really can't get myself to do graphics for units that I've done good graphics for before (Like the 3rd level skydrake) And I 'd really appreciate it if someone, if not anyone could manage to retrieve even but one animation sequence.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Actually nevermind that, Apparently I was smart enough to save some things; Here are some more fixed trees; Animations were still lost sadly.
Attachments
draketree.png
draketree.png (20.4 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:) All very cool.

The only thing I would say is - is there any way we can lose the prehensile tail thing on the gladiator?

If we could split it so that the gladiator carries a mace and a sword, and the slasher carries the halberd, two good things would happen, IMO:

A] No one would be bugged by the "carrying a weapon in his tail" thing.
B] The units would have distinct purposes - gladiators would be used for smashing things like skeletons, and slashers would be used for attacking cavalry.

Right now - they don't have a lot of merit in terms of gameplay distinction.

----------

If you animate the level-3 sky drake, I'll implement it myself.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Looks good. :) but the sky drake doesn't really look like a higher level than the 2nd level one... I think it has to do with the wings making the 2nd level look larger.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Jetryl wrote::) All very cool.

The only thing I would say is - is there any way we can lose the prehensile tail thing on the gladiator?

If we could split it so that the gladiator carries a mace and a sword, and the slasher carries the halberd, two good things would happen, IMO:

A] No one would be bugged by the "carrying a weapon in his tail" thing.
B] The units would have distinct purposes - gladiators would be used for smashing things like skeletons, and slashers would be used for attacking cavalry.

Right now - they don't have a lot of merit in terms of gameplay distinction.

----------

If you animate the level-3 sky drake, I'll implement it myself.
Well could be so but It's running late and I don't feel like editing the graphics at the moment; And I kind of lost the animations for the sky drake, Are you sure you can't do them? Because I have alot of things on my head at the moment.
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

The level 3 Glider's wings look more like a cloak to me... :?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Mr. Jack: "Gee, Jetryl... couldn't you just make it yourself instead of trying to twist neo's arm when he's being nice enough to come back here and do work"

Jetryl: "uh, yeah, I guess I could"

And then he did - A gladiator with a big-o mace, and an empty tail:

Jetryl: (Hopes neo doesn't take offense) :|
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Neoriceisgood wrote: Well could be so but It's running late and I don't feel like editing the graphics at the moment; And I kind of lost the animations for the sky drake, Are you sure you can't do them? Because I have alot of things on my head at the moment.
I CAN DO THEM. :D Thank you for coming back.

Speaking of which - I'll actually start committing the thing as soon as we decide on a name...
Last edited by Jetrel on April 2nd, 2005, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Hey that's neat, I'll take it.

Who'se Mr.Jack?
Attila

Post by Attila »

that is on damn big mace
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Draconio wrote:The level 3 Glider's wings look more like a cloak to me... :?
Same here... these graphics have been posted before, and I thought that then too. I'm not sure what effect neo is trying to accomplish, but for this particular image, it doesn't seem to be working.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I'm trying to make him have his wings like a cloak.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:
Draconio wrote:The level 3 Glider's wings look more like a cloak to me... :?
Same here... these graphics have been posted before, and I thought that then too. I'm not sure what effect neo is trying to accomplish, but for this particular image, it doesn't seem to be working.
It's OK. It looks cool, so long as he opens the wings up whenever he flies/does a melee attack. If he keeps them closed then, it looks a little silly, but as just a standing frame, the idea is cool, and gives the guy a lot of character.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

This is a half-finished flying frame for this fellow. His wings are notably larger than those of level-2.

Neo - I don't know what kind of armor this guy was supposed to have under his wings (and - he never opened his wings in the old animations, IIRC). If you could fill it in, that would be great.

The bit hanging to the right is the belt that showed beneath his wings in the standing frame.

Once I know what his actual armor is supposed to look like, he should be fairly easy to clone out into other frames - obviously, he looks a lot like level-2, so large parts can be copied and meshed together.