The Not Unbalanced Map Pack

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

The Not Unbalanced Map Pack

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

The goal of this map pack is to organize a large number of low-WML maps, of all sizes and all numbers of players, which are not excessively unbalanced. They may have a slight favor for one faction, but they may not have a huge one, and they may not have another unbalance, such as between player numbers.

Below is the current status. Map names prefixed with a ? are ones I have not played on enough, that do not seem too bad do me (but I will have to play them.)

I'd like two things: Map nominations, since I'm sure I haven't seen everything and I've missed some good ones, and information about who created some of these maps. (see all those ?s for the author?)

Code: Select all

2 player:

Blitz (pg)
Charge (pg)
Two Undergrounders (Elvish Pillager)
Across the River (?)
Princess's Battlefield (?)
Two Bridges (Hieronymus)
Entrenched (?)
?The Mountain (turin)

3 player:

The Castle of Wesmid (Elvish Pillager)
?The Siege (Hieronymus)
?Morituri 1vs1vs1 (olof)
?Morituri 1vs1vs1 (Triangle) (olof)
?Blitz 1vs1vs1 (pg/olof)
?Blitz 1vs1vs1 (Small) (pg/olof)

4 player:
Morituri 2vs2 (olof)
Charge 2vs2 (pg/olof)
Blitz 2vs2 (pg/olof)
Castle Hopping Isle (?)
Siege Castles (cobretti)
Anni 2vs2 (annihilator)
?Ichigo's Map (Ichigo?)
?Lagoon (turin)
?Semi-Desert and Semi-Deserted Island (Elvish Pillager)

5 player:

Forest of Fear (Neoriceisgood)

6 player:

Emperor (Elvish Pillager)
?No Name (Dragonking)
?Mercator (?)

7,8 player: While there are some of these, I have not included them... More than 6 players is a Bad Thing.
Last edited by Elvish_Pillager on April 29th, 2005, 8:24 pm, edited 18 times in total.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
AT

Post by AT »

I'm thinking about reviseing my two maps, Weslin and Broken Bridge.
To facilitate this, what precluded them from being well balanced?
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
Elvish_Pillager

AT wrote:I'm thinking about reviseing my two maps, Weslin and Broken Bridge.
To facilitate this, what precluded them from being well balanced?
Weslin: It favors fliers immensely. The water just makes Gryphon Riders, and worse, Vampire Bats, too powerful. I suggest you decrease the height of the map, chopping off some of that excess north and south area.

Broken: Defensive positioning, differing castles, and lack of properly balanced terrain favors water units and Saurians. Not any individual big issues, but it always seems unbalanced with any set of factions.

Also please note that not all maps not on the list were deliberately omitted (though those two were.)

My current agenda is to fill up the list with maps, and play-test all the ? maps until I can remove the ? or the maps. Once that's done, well, I collect up the maps and pack them.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

What makes morituri 1v1v1 not available for the 3-player maps?

I think it's just as balanced as the 2v2 one. :?

And, where are those maps you have made available?
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Forest of fear is my map =)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Elvish_Pillager

Ankka wrote:What makes morituri 1v1v1 not available for the 3-player maps?
Me having never heard of it. Added, but I'll have to get it in order to playtest, and I don't know where to get it.
Ankka wrote:And, where are those maps you have made available?
They're all over the place. They're not 'available' from me yet.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

IIRC Morituri is one of olof's map and 1v1v1 should be availabe in his map pack. I can propose my No Name map, cause it was rather fan to play on it on mp and rather most players liked it -> it is here http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4040 .
Very intresting is 3v1 map made by Hieronymus too.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Elvish_Pillager

Added No Name. Unfortunately, I can't connect to the multiplayer server, so I won't be able to test very well.
Elvish_Pillager

Removed Three Rivers. Vampire Bats are too good, for one thing.
Elvish_Pillager

Added Anni 2vs2, tested it against myself, and found it balanced enough to remove the ? already.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I continue to tinker with Den of Onis, so take a look at the newset version if you get a chance (should be the most recent post in my "National Archive" thread).

Suggestions are certainly welcome.

PEACE TO THE GODS.

8)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Elvish_Pillager

Removed Den of Onis --- all that swamp (and sand) favors Saurians greatly. Replacing most of it with shallow water would help...
annihilator

Post by annihilator »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Added Anni 2vs2, tested it against myself, and found it balanced enough to remove the ? already.

Thank you very much! :D (i hope i can make some better ones in the future and find an appropriate name) :P
Elvish_Pillager

Two Bridges gets the nod of approval. It's a very fun map, as well.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Removed Den of Onis --- all that swamp (and sand) favors Saurians greatly. Replacing most of it with shallow water would help...
Hmm. That's true. Removing that stuff takes it ever so slightly away from the theme of "a place for an oni to live." But who cares about that. Really. 8)

Screw the swampiness.

Try this:

http://mercury.walagata.com/w/paterson/DenofOnis.txt
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme