In online real-time multiplayer...

Discuss the development of other free/open-source games, as well as other games in general.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which is more important?

Speed with which players' commands take effect
64%
Speed with which players recieve game information
36%

Total votes: 22

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

In online real-time multiplayer...

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

If you had a choice to play with one of these things being faster than the other, which would you choose?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

Hmm.. it comes down to this:

1) To be able to act at the time one wishes or as close to it as possible (although possibly making the wrong decision or delaying because of the lack/delay of information).

or

2) Knowing what is going on when it happens (or as close as possible).. but possibly not being able to act upon it when one wishes it.

After having thought about it, I'm going for the first one.
He who would travel happily must travel light.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Myself, I'll have to go with the other one.

With the first choice, you can act instantly in a world that you don't quite know about. With the second, you know what's happening but you have a speed disadvantage. I generally prefer a direct disadvantage to a lack of knowledge.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

The first one, if your good enough, you should know what happens/is going to happen before the computer tells you.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
G0rk

Post by G0rk »

the first one, as it turns out, more internet connection's receive faster then they send.