Journey of a Frost Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

bssarkar
Developer

Re: Journey of a Frost Mage

Post by bssarkar »

Bravd wrote: November 4th, 2023, 2:33 pm I did update, but after they speak, the marker is shown and i got a defeat screen
This is bad. I will check it. Try running wesnoth from the terminal/command prompt with the

Code: Select all

-d
option and then running that place. In linux this is something like

wesnoth-1.16 -d
or

wesnoth -d

Edit : Do not use the ":n" debug command to skip scenario 6. That caused my scenario 7 to trigger defeat after the message. Kill the enemies leaders with right click -> Kill with debug activated, then close the portal to trigger the win event. See if that solves the problem.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

tBfW Version 1.17.26
JoaFM Version 0.11.2.2

Scenario 01:

I got nothing to say to this. I needed to reload several times, because of bad luck.
I also reloaded the last save, so safe an elf. Only because I realised I will only get the elves for the next scenario and not the humans.

Here is my replay.
JoaFM-The Attack replay 20240307-224406.gz
(18.69 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Scenario 02:

I started it and I was confused how hard it gets in the beginning. No recruiting and a lot of undead (hard for elves). Only my first impression.
I will give later on feedback on this scenario, but for now I don't have the time to continue.
It looks promising, we got a lot of wood and some Drakes. :)
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Refumee wrote: March 7th, 2024, 9:51 pm tBfW Version 1.17.26
JoaFM Version 0.11.2.2

Scenario 01:

I got nothing to say to this. I needed to reload several times, because of bad luck.
I also reloaded the last save, so safe an elf. Only because I realised I will only get the elves for the next scenario and not the humans.
I'm not against save-loading, but I think it's possible to win without getting the elves die (doesn't matter if the humans die, except their leader).
Spoiler:
Refumee wrote: March 7th, 2024, 9:51 pm Scenario 02:

I started it and I was confused how hard it gets in the beginning. No recruiting and a lot of undead (hard for elves). Only my first impression.
I will give later on feedback on this scenario, but for now I don't have the time to continue.
It looks promising, we got a lot of wood and some Drakes. :)
I'll wait for your feedback, thanks for playing.
Spoiler:
, and it's supposed to be hard.

Just uploaded a new version 0.11.2.3, you might like to use that, containing quite a few balancing and other fixes. (including maps for first four scenarios)
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

bssarkar wrote: March 8th, 2024, 5:48 am
I'm not against save-loading, but I think it's possible to win without getting the elves die (doesn't matter if the humans die, except their leader).
Spoiler:
Good question, i felt like I'm too slow to block the bridge and figured I use the castle as defensive measure.
Maybe I'll play it again.

I didn't see one replay here in this forum thread so I figure that will help you understand how a amateur plays.
bssarkar wrote: March 8th, 2024, 5:48 am Just uploaded a new version 0.11.2.3, you might like to use that, containing quite a few balancing and other fixes. (including maps for first four scenarios)
I will :)
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

I figure that will help you understand how a amateur plays.
Definitely :) Guess I should add a hint if I ever add an Easy difficulty.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

tBfW Version 1.17.26
JoaFM Version 0.11.2.3

Scenario 02:
JoaFM-A Long Road replay 20240308-221614.gz
(29.95 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
The beginning is quite hard, but if the characters survive the first wave its duable.
The biggest Problem for me were the shadows, they sniped my drakes that needed to survive. And as you can see, one of my elves.
That the elf died isn't that bad, becauce I can't keep her.

Scenario 03:
I was 13 turns in and died to the trolls. I'll continue tomorrow, I mean restart.
I just had bad luck. The trolls were double hitting me with an 30% chance, haha :shock: .

One more thing:
Attack.PNG
Attack.PNG (26.77 KiB) Viewed 1243 times
I saw that in the first scenario and forgot to mention it. Is there something missing? Maybe it is the language setting, I use English GB.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Refumee wrote: March 8th, 2024, 9:47 pm tBfW Version 1.17.26
JoaFM Version 0.11.2.3

Scenario 02:
The beginning is quite hard, but if the characters survive the first wave its duable.
The biggest Problem for me were the shadows, they sniped my drakes that needed to survive. And as you can see, one of my elves.
It's fine, as long as the elf leader survives. Supposed to be a bit hard. I'll try to increase the gold.
Refumee wrote: March 8th, 2024, 9:47 pm Scenario 03:
I was 13 turns in and died to the trolls. I'll continue tomorrow, I mean restart.
I just had bad luck. The trolls were double hitting me with an 30% chance, haha :shock: .
Spoiler:
Refumee wrote: March 8th, 2024, 9:47 pm One more thing:
Attack.PNG
I saw that in the first scenario and forgot to mention it. Is there something missing? Maybe it is the language setting, I use English GB.
That's a bug, I'll fix it. Thanks for mentioning.
bssarkar
Developer

Invalid typing bug

Post by bssarkar »

Refumee wrote: March 8th, 2024, 9:47 pm One more thing:
Attack.PNG
Fixed in 0.11.2.6. Please download the latest version and let me know if the issue persists.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Refumee wrote: March 8th, 2024, 9:47 pm tBfW Version 1.17.26
JoaFM Version 0.11.2.3

Scenario 02:
Did you not see that you can recruit Drake burners in the objectives after discovering the drake village ? :D (I'll add a hint anyway,)
Spoiler:
Screenshot from 2024-03-09 11-59-33.png
Congratulations on winning without no recruits though. It proves that it's possible, and I need to take that into account.
Last edited by bssarkar on March 9th, 2024, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

I suggest you replay scenario 2 so you get those extra units.
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

bssarkar wrote: March 9th, 2024, 6:34 am
Did you not see that you can recruit Drake burners in the objectives after discovering the drake village ? :D (I'll add a hint anyway,)
Spoiler:
Screenshot from 2024-03-09 11-59-33.png

Congratulations on winning without no recruits though. It proves that it's possible, and I need to take that into account.
I did not :D
I will replay the second scenario, even if I don't know how drakes help against bandits.

For me it was like,
I can't recruit any units? Why then the base? Anyway, I should move forward.
So I left the castle. So maybe it would be useful to have a castle at the Drakesroost, if I can call it like that.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

I can't recruit any units? Why then the base? Anyway, I should move forward.
From this point of view, it does seem inconvenient.
So maybe it would be useful to have a castle at the Drakesroost, if I can call it like that.
Seems like a good idea.
even if I don't know how drakes help against bandits.
If you finish the scenario, you'll understand why. :)
Refumee

Post by Refumee »

So finally.

tBfW Version 1.17.26
JoaFM Version 0.11.2.8
Medium difficulty

JoaFM-A Long Road replay 20240310-174453.gz
(31.43 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Scenario 02: A Long Road
Nothing to add here. I really liked the new castle.
Here the shadows again, are very punishing. Many reloads :D

JoaFM-A Very Long Road replay 20240310-211821.gz
(40.19 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Scenario 03: A Very Long Road
This time the trolls werent that lucky.
I also agree with the other comments here in this thread. That the troll and bandit alliance kinda is strange.
I can just recommend everyone, to recruit a lot of drakes in S02. It was kinda nice to defeat the troll leader with a whole wing (I think the drakes call their troops like that) :whistle:
I think the Drake/Elf combo is kinda good. Both got good mobility in the forest, but sadly not our protagonist.

Scenario 04: The Waters of Destiny
Looks interesting. I have not played it yet, but it looks promising.
I just hope it is not just luck based. Because we got here a Merman vs Naga match in the sea both with good doging chances.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Refumee wrote: March 10th, 2024, 8:36 pm Scenario 02: A Long Road
Nothing to add here. I really liked the new castle.
Here the shadows again, are very punishing. Many reloads :D
Uh-oh. I'll have to check it out. Usually the shadows don't bother me much.
Refumee wrote: March 10th, 2024, 8:36 pm Scenario 03: A Very Long Road
This time the trolls werent that lucky.
I also agree with the other comments here in this thread. That the troll and bandit alliance kinda is strange.
I can just recommend everyone, to recruit a lot of drakes in S02. It was kinda nice to defeat the troll leader with a whole wing (I think the drakes call their troops like that) :whistle:
I think the Drake/Elf combo is kinda good. Both got good mobility in the forest, but sadly not our protagonist.
Erinna has an AMLA for forest movement.
Scenario 04: The Waters of Destiny
Looks interesting. I have not played it yet, but it looks promising.
I just hope it is not just luck based. Because we got here a Merman vs Naga match in the sea both with good doging chances.
No supposed to be luck based. I personally don't like battles to be so.
bssarkar
Developer

Post by bssarkar »

Okay, looked at the replays, you played very well.
S2 : not much comments here (I usually play more defensively, but it's fine).
S3 : well done, you didn't need the boost from the tree. (An obvious plot hole, I should give the player some rewards if he manages to do that)
But again, when I played S3 previously, you wouldn't get the Drakes from the prev. scenario (That was a recent addition), so I might need to adjust that. Plus you used to get way more elves. :+1: