Gathering information about Scepter of Fire Campaign

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Gathering information about Scepter of Fire Campaign

Post by octalot »

I don't see anywhere in the current text where Glildur hires dwarves. He sees a large number of dwarves, and when it turns out to be two factions who are fighting each other, says "How about this — we defeat these crazed cave-dwellers, then you keep the spoils and their territory, and we keep the ruby?"

The territory is caves, so wouldn't interest an elf anyway, and the spoils will be lying on the ground in Shorbear's own territory.
non-canon idea with spoilers for LoW
If the lich-eye potion is still in LoW, then I think the evil in Landar is trying to get the ruby, which would suggest Landar trusts Glildur to get it. In #7382 (latest comment), I suggested a bad ending if the player tries to have Kalenz kill Landar to stop LoW's Costly Revenge - Landar wins, unites the elves, and then brings an army strong enough to get the ruby in SoF S5 or S6.
ShadowOfHassen

Post by ShadowOfHassen »

octalot wrote: September 14th, 2023, 1:55 pm I don't see anywhere in the current text where Glildur hires dwarves. He sees a large number of dwarves, and when it turns out to be two factions who are fighting each other, says "How about this — we defeat these crazed cave-dwellers, then you keep the spoils and their territory, and we keep the ruby?"

The territory is caves, so wouldn't interest an elf anyway, and the spoils will be lying on the ground in Shorbear's own territory.
non-canon idea with spoilers for LoW
If the lich-eye potion is still in LoW, then I think the evil in Landar is trying to get the ruby, which would suggest Landar trusts Glildur to get it. In #7382 (latest comment), I suggested a bad ending if the player tries to have Kalenz kill Landar to stop LoW's Costly Revenge - Landar wins, unites the elves, and then brings an army strong enough to get the ruby in SoF S5 or S6.
The elves go after the dwarves and it says:

message= _ "It must be one of those Surghan mercenaries. I’ll bet those elves have hired more of them. That’s bad news for us, for they’ll go as fast in caves as we do."
"He's quite friendly when you get to know him." --Lif The Goblin (Translated)
ShadowOfHassen

Post by ShadowOfHassen »

So I have a few questions about this project.

Question #1: If I followed holypaladin's idea of cutting the reaching the rune crafter mission and add what I've mentioned, would the changes be better off in a plugin and then after testing merged into maneline or what.

Question #2: I've seen mentions on the Github repos off text locks and deadlines. Is there a feature freeze for a new release coming up? If so is it better for me to hurry/put this project on hold and which one? It wouldn't be hurry per say as rearrange some of my projects.
ShadowOfHassen

Post by ShadowOfHassen »

I just had another idea. The description for Scepter of Fire starts with the lines of a poem. Is there more to that poem, I think it would be an interesting addition to the story.

Another question: This story's narrator is supposed to be a dwarf storyteller telling the story to a hushed audience in some cozy hall deep underground, right?
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

I have another idea. I think it would be interesting if Alanin would share his past story during being a Wesnoth soldier as member of King's guard (or maybe make him a soldier of Aldar who took part in defence of Tath).
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
ShadowOfHassen

Post by ShadowOfHassen »

holypaladin wrote: March 24th, 2024, 5:18 pm I have another idea. I think it would be interesting if Alanin would share his past story during being a Wesnoth soldier as member of King's guard (or maybe make him a soldier of Aldar who took part in defence of Tath).
I like the idea. I would like to get to work on this, however, I still need a few questions answered. Namely, are these changes too big to be added directly into the game and if so, should I create a wesnoth plugin to test it.
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

I don't know but maybe it would be also a nice change to ally trolls and orcs with our team in last scenario. (seeing hordes of attacking elves and their dwarfish mercenaries leaders decide to cooperate in repelling the invasion, I remember even now Rugnur (or maybe other character) was suggesting something like this). In changed version there would be still explosion and everyone inside without Krawg dies of course. As for Alanin he could have get another mission on his own, while escaping from elves he find a small merman society and helps them defeat elvish invanders.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"
ShadowOfHassen

Post by ShadowOfHassen »

holypaladin wrote: March 30th, 2024, 9:59 pm I don't know but maybe it would be also a nice change to ally trolls and orcs with our team in last scenario. (seeing hordes of attacking elves and their dwarfish mercenaries leaders decide to cooperate in repelling the invasion, I remember even now Rugnur (or maybe other character) was suggesting something like this). In changed version there would be still explosion and everyone inside without Krawg dies of course. As for Alanin he could have get another mission on his own, while escaping from elves he finds a small merman society and helps them defeat elvish invanders.
At the end having back and forth missions between Alanin and the dwarves would make it more interesting. i'm not exactly sure where he'd find mermen, but maybe we could have a part one/ two with human soldiers.

Having the troll guardians helping the dwarves would be fun. Another idea I had, is maybe making the dragon be a bit more important.
holypaladin

Post by holypaladin »

ShadowOfHassen wrote: March 30th, 2024, 11:22 pm
holypaladin wrote: March 30th, 2024, 9:59 pm I don't know but maybe it would be also a nice change to ally trolls and orcs with our team in last scenario. (seeing hordes of attacking elves and their dwarfish mercenaries leaders decide to cooperate in repelling the invasion, I remember even now Rugnur (or maybe other character) was suggesting something like this). In changed version there would be still explosion and everyone inside without Krawg dies of course. As for Alanin he could have get another mission on his own, while escaping from elves he finds a small merman society and helps them defeat elvish invanders.
At the end having back and forth missions between Alanin and the dwarves would make it more interesting. i'm not exactly sure where he'd find mermen, but maybe we could have a part one/ two with human soldiers.

Having the troll guardians helping the dwarves would be fun. Another idea I had, is maybe making the dragon be a bit more important.
Maybe while crossing the river? While Alanin would passing by he would meet mermans on his road surrouded by elves. Mermans are usually friendly to humans (The Rise of Wesnoth, The South Guard). Meeting human soldiers may be a good idea as well, as he passes borders of Wesnoth he see Wesnothian banners again after long time. In first scenario maybe after few turns general Aldar come to help king Haldric when he's attacked. Krakrahs after death of Shek'Kahan leaved place where he lived for centuries afraid of being hunted down and entered caves. Elves and humans thought he's dead so didn't try to search for him.
„Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam"