Is it possible to disable recall for only one scenario?

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

VynalDerp

Is it possible to disable recall for only one scenario?

Post by VynalDerp »

Hello, stopping by to ask the question in the title. Sorry if it's been asked before, but after wiki diving and forum searching for a while I could neither find an answer nor a thread asking this already.

While making a campaign I wanted to try doing two things - one, changing a leader's type regardless if they've leveled up or not, and two, having an "interlude" scenario taking place elsewhere than the main story. Obviously, if we're going elsewhere, it wouldn't make sense to have characters/units from that mission in the main scenarios, and vice versa. What's Dunefolk doing in a snowy wasteland?

The problem I ran into, of course, is that leader type is saved alongisde recall data, so my leader was still a peasant despite changing their type in the scenario file. I assume this is because of recall data, as it's only an issue when scenarios are loaded as apart of a campaign instead of individually. This is actually quite a headache to work with, due to balance reasons. I could possibly circumvent this with custom units, but as a very new player I haven't really touched making my own units yet. I'll probably do it later in the campaign, but I need to plan said campaign out first and to do that I need to know what's possible and what's not, hence the question above.

The second problem is actually a lot less of a problem, but more of an inconvenience. I can put the interlude missions or non-story related missions in their own campaign or as individual scenarios if really necessary, but they would be nice to include in the actual campaign to round out the story & provide more content, instead of having to say "this character did X, X, and X off screen".

I'm down for any suggestions to get around the problem or work around any caveats for imperfect solutions - the campaign is still in early development and the existing scenarios are simple enough to be easy to edit if necessary.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Is it possible to disable recall for only one scenario?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

While making a campaign I wanted to try doing two things - one, changing a leader's type regardless if they've leveled up or not, and two, having an "interlude" scenario taking place elsewhere than the main story. Obviously, if we're going elsewhere, it wouldn't make sense to have characters/units from that mission in the main scenarios, and vice versa. What's Dunefolk doing in a snowy wasteland?
You can disable recall for a scenario either by disallow_recall=yes at scenario level or by storing the existing recall list. You can also change the leader type from Type A to Type B and change it back using VariableWML. Consult the documentation, or check the Northern Rebirth Scenario "Old Friend" source code.
The second problem is actually a lot less of a problem, but more of an inconvenience. I can put the interlude missions or non-story related missions in their own campaign or as individual scenarios if really necessary, but they would be nice to include in the actual campaign to round out the story & provide more content, instead of having to say "this character did X, X, and X off screen".
You can make cutscene scenarios and store the leader unit of the player side(s) if they are not supposed to be there and continue on with cutscene only units.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
VynalDerp

Re: Is it possible to disable recall for only one scenario?

Post by VynalDerp »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: October 21st, 2023, 8:45 am
You can disable recall for a scenario either by disallow_recall=yes at scenario level or by storing the existing recall list. You can also change the leader type from Type A to Type B and change it back using VariableWML. Consult the documentation, or check the Northern Rebirth Scenario "Old Friend" source code.
You can make cutscene scenarios and store the leader unit of the player side(s) if they are not supposed to be there and continue on with cutscene only units.
I see, it seems I didn't do thorough enough digging when I looked through the wiki, thanks! Are there any examples of storing the leader in any campaigns, custom or vanilla? Or is this also covered in the above documentation?
edit: After a bundle of wiki reading, yes, I believe it is covered in both.