More than 99 turns?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

More than 99 turns?

Post by Atreides »

So I tried setting turns=100 & 101 in the MP scenario file and both end up unlimited nonetheless.

Is 99 the maximum length one can set? (same as using the slider at game creation)

(For the curious it is for the giant Dominus maps where 100 turns isn't enough but 200 is too much : )

Oddly enough you can edit a saved game to make it stop at 144 turns (triggering turns over advantage). So there is a messy way...

99 seems like it might be enough anyways but I would like to be on the safe side and in any case I wasn't expecting a 99 turn limit so I'm curious to find out...
dwarftough

Re: More than 99 turns?

Post by dwarftough »

In LotI there were maps with turn limit 200. In SP at least it should work
Co-founder and current maintainer of IsarFoundation, Afterlife Rated and overall Wesnoth Autohost Project
Developer and maintainer of my fork of World Conquest, Invincibles Conquest II
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

So I tried setting turns=100 & 101 in the MP scenario file and both end up unlimited nonetheless.
I got curious and I got the same thing...
and then I read the code comments...

Code: Select all

if(!config_engine_->force_lock_settings()) {
			// Max slider value (in this case, 100) means 'unlimited turns', so pass the value -1
			const int num_turns = turns_->get_widget_value();
config_engine_->set_num_turns(num_turns < ::settings::turns_max ? num_turns : - 1);
Apparently, it seems for MP mode, the turn limit is hard locked to 99. Any thing else beyond that is read as -1 which is "unlimited".
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Ah well, no biggie. Gonna use 99 and hey if I reach the 90's and _still_ wanna play I could edit the save file. But by 99 it's usually turned into a cleanup with 100's of units to control.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Atreides wrote: November 13th, 2023, 9:46 pm Ah well, no biggie. Gonna use 99 and hey if I reach the 90's and _still_ wanna play I could edit the save file. But by 99 it's usually turned into a cleanup with 100's of units to control.
No, what I meant is...you found a bug.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

While it would be nice if this was fixed in the engine, you can still change the number of turns in a presart event it will then overwrite whatever the user choose as a turn limit (if you want that)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.