Temporarily garbled screen 1.17.23

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Spannerbag

Temporarily garbled screen 1.17.23

Post by Spannerbag »

Hi,
Edit: re-ran the autosaved turn and no problem with the display so probably some passing display malfunction on my PC :roll:

Just having an run-through of Delfador's Memoirs to see what had changed (if anything) and the screen garbled at one point (screen dump below).
garbled.png
There's nothing in the logs so it might've just been a glitch with my PC because the screen redraw normally when I dismissed the message?

Here's the entire log:

Code: Select all

Battle for Wesnoth v1.17.23 x86_64
Started on Sun Dec 17 21:31:47 2023

Automatically found a possible data directory at: C:\Program Files\BfW17

Data directory:               C:\Program Files\BfW17
User configuration directory: C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.17
User data directory:          C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.17
Cache directory:              C:\Users\USER\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.17\cache

Setting mode to 1920x1080
Checking lua scripts... ok
Running on Windows 11 Home version 22H2.

The only related interface issue I have seen is that when a player controlled unit is performing a move-attack combo the orb and status bar seem to be displayed first in the location where the unit will be. Gameplay is fine and it happen too quick for a screen grab.

Will see if I can replicate the garbled display, but I doubt it...

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...
Spannerbag

Re: Temporarily garbled screen 1.17.23 - Update

Post by Spannerbag »

Hi again,

Edit: as 1.17.24 is out, will upgrade to that.

Just a few things/thoughts:
  • I've never seen this effect on Wesnoth v1.16 which I also have installed on the same PC.
  • Since my post I've seen this twice more including after a reboot (both in Delfador's Memoirs, will try another campaign when I get chance).
  • Noticed that text scaling was set to 125% (recommended) (Settings -> System -> Display for anyone wanting to have a look).
    When I set this to 100% I didn't encounter any screen garbling but couldn't spend too long testing.
  • Haven't yet tested to see if the problem occurs in windowed mode (I play full screen).
  • Still hoping it's a transient fault so will keep testing when I get chance.
Realistically given my current schedule it'll likely be well in to next year (mid January) before I can spend much quality time on this. :(

Cheers!
-- Spannerbag
SP Campaigns: After EI (v1.14) Leafsea Burning (v1.17, v1.16)
I suspect the universe is simpler than we think and stranger than we can know.
Also, I fear that beyond a certain point more intelligence does not necessarily benefit a species...