Of rabbits and men

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

Aleksi wrote: P.S. By the way, if people here did not see Donnie Darko i highly recommend it! Its an amazing movie. It actually has a pretty original storyline... 8)
Its one of my favorite movie. It has a feeling. I have seen more than 6 times.
First time it must see with a (future) girlfriend.;)
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

:idea: :arrow: :wink:
Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

(After misreading the storyline, I gave rabbit a full campaign and even levelling ability.)

Cedric's cartoon rabbit is perfect and its abilities exactly what we need to drag through his campaign. The drawback with Konrad's campaign is that Delfador, Kalenz et. al. soak up experience points that should be earned by our units. Cabbido (to give rabbit a name) takes little experience, but proves useful in moving the storyline and perhaps unlocking parts of a scenario.

How about a mage rabbit that has a cabbage ball range attack instead of a fire one?

For Cedric's last effort, replace that bloody thing with a carrot stick, called The Rabbit's Staff. Then the piurple (whatever you call that) colour is exactly what a robed mage rabbit looks like.

And in keeping with the cartoon theme, whenever Cabbido throws a cabbage ball he asks,"What's up, Doc?". If he dies the scenario ends with the death dialog, "That's all, folks.".

The rabbit may gain exp and levels based on how efficiently each scenario is completed. A whimp with bulging muscles and longer teeth?

Then you can recruit rabbits at 1 or 2 gold pieces, to even out number skeletons :lol:. That should slow down bats etc. a bit without draining the coffers.

For those who enjoy the tragic, you have to kill Cabbido at the end to get his Staff to ressurect his real body and finally destroy the cursed magic binding his soul.

Fmunoz's rendering is fine as a unit and Cedric's for the larger menu and sidebar icons.

Donnie Darko? Not for Wesnoth. Rather Doom or Quake.
miyo

Post by miyo »

Blackbeard wrote:And in keeping with the cartoon theme, whenever Cabbido throws a cabbage ball he asks,"What's up, Doc?". If he dies the scenario ends with the death dialog, "That's all, folks.".
And then we wait Warner & Bros (or what ever they are called now) to contact us. They don't own rabbit .They don't own those words. But rabbit saying those words could prove problematic *grin*

- Miyo
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

:D
cedric

Post by cedric »

Blackbeard wrote:(After misreading the storyline, I gave rabbit a full campaign and even levelling ability.)
Really glad this little rabbit fires your imagination! :D

And now, here's the story picture for the metamorphosis:
Is this evocative? As always, comments and critiques very appreciated. :)
--
Cedric
cedric

Post by cedric »

Hmm, no comments for the previous picture? :?

Anyway, I' d like to introduce you a new character: Khreonas, master assassin.

Critiques welcome, really. :)

--
Cedric
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I like him a lot!
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Nice drawing but the dague does look too ordinary for a master assasin and the character looks both too young and nice... Well, it could be a really good disguise for a real Master assassin :wink:
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
cedric

Post by cedric »

Thanks Woodwizzle and Christophe!
Christophe33 wrote:Nice drawing but the dague does look too ordinary for a master assasin
Is this better with this tiny pocket knife? ;)
Christophe33 wrote:and the character looks both too young and nice...
Changed his face a bit. But I'm not sure I want to give him a really nasty look. I mean, indeed he does a lethal job, but why should a diabolical grin fit best an assassin than, say, a trooper or an archer?
Christophe33 wrote:Well, it could be a really good disguise for a real Master assassin :wink:
In France there is a proverb: l'habit ne fait pas le moine (approx. "the robe does not make the monk", ie "one shouldn't judge by appearance"). :)

--
Cedric
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

The body proportions in the assasin image are wrong... shoulders too wide, hands too small, very long and big left arm (under the cloak)...
I hope that this could help you:
http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/7639
Even for manga style imagess errors in the human proportions are things that could make a pic look wrong even if you couldnt pinpoint them.
cedric

Post by cedric »

fmunoz wrote:The body proportions in the assasin image are wrong... shoulders too wide, hands too small, very long and big left arm (under the cloak)...
I hope that this could help you:
http://www.gfxartist.com/features/tutorials/7639
Argh, 24MB!
fmunoz wrote:Even for manga style imagess errors in the human proportions are things that could make a pic look wrong even if you couldnt pinpoint them.
Ok. Thanks for pointing them out. Back to work, then... :)

--
Cedric
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Sorry about the file size.. I forgot about it :oops:
This page could also help you...
http://www.mauigateway.com/~donjusko/human.htm
7-8 "heads sizes" as total height, lower arm is one and 1/4 heads long, the hand is 3/4 of a head long, equal to the average face (a bit more in manga), etc...
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I have to agree with fmunoz on most of those points, also, thank you for the links. I also heavily agree with cedric on the general character design, at least in appearance.

I'm not sure if I agree with the bit about the shoulders - they are wide, yes, but they are well withing the realm of realistic proportion. My roommate, for example, has just about the same proportion between his shoulders and head. Be aware though that in keeping it, you are making your character into somewhat of a big guy.

Do note that the shoulder on the right side of the image is a slight bit bigger than the one on the left. Given his frontal pose, that should get tweaked.

On the other hand, yeah, the hands and arm are a good span off the mark, especially so for the hands if you keep the shoulders the way that they are.

Also, your portrait is well in keeping with fmunoz's elected style for portraits in the game. Though I myself do not like the style, I must commend you on keeping within its confines.

A bit of a note for christophe - be careful with character design - about the only characters you want looking like rock stars are royalty and wizards. People only dress strangely if they are confident that people will be impressed - ofttimes if there is something else about them that would cause people to change what would otherwise be revulsion towards their eccentricity into curiosity and even awe. In the case of rock stars, this would be their musical talent. A wizard, his arcane powers... etc.

If, say, your mailman suddenly decided to dress up like Alice Cooper, well... ...uh... ...it just wouldn't work. His friends would make fun of him.

It's also worth noting that an assassin, of all possible professions, would not want to be noticed. Absolutely so - he would go so far as to actively portray himself as being something else. Besides, many assassins do their work without a blade at all, though he must have one for the purposes of the game.[/i]
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Since I imagine that of rabbits and men, might eventually be added into "Heir to the Throne" as one or two easter egg levels, it makes sense for the assassin graphic to mirror fmunoz's. And if the cloak and blade are a bit stereotypical for an assassin, we'll most of the plot of "Heir to the Throne" is classic fantasy as are the pictures of Delfador, Konrad etc. so it fits in well. he's doing a good job of making his portrait fit in with fmunoz's style. (obviously changes in posture have to be made, but I like the basic design)