Of rabbits and men

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
cedric

Post by cedric »

Christophe33 wrote:Ok, what about a wild boar, they are nasty enough customers and a plain/forest dweller so not mountainfoot. it can even be upgraded into giant boar.
If I recall correctly, fmunoz had already a giant boar drawn, still unused.
Christophe33 wrote:Many countries have legends about giant boars. Et le sangliers c'st de bon ton pour un Francais :)
Really? I thought that for us the whole story has always been about frogs? But boars, really? ;)

Anyway, here is a grey wolf. The design slightly differs (most significant is the head) from the wolves already present in Wesnoth. Please let me know if it is ok, or if I should just stick with the usual wolves (attached is a wolf rider for reference).

--
Cedric
miyo

Post by miyo »

I like them both: Snow Leopard and Grey Wolf.

- Miyo
cedric

Post by cedric »

miyo wrote:I like them both: Snow Leopard and Grey Wolf.
Ok, thanks. :) I will work on the animations, then.

Hmmm, I'm wondering... while I'm at it, maybe I could also use this as a base to add some diversity beetween the Wolf Rider unit tree, since for the moment the differences beetween the wolves are mostly color variations. Not sure... Thoughts?

--
Cedric
Eponymous-Archon

Falcon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

I'm no ornithologist, but the Falcon doesn't look quite right to me. Its body is too low relative to the head (it should be pitched downward maybe?) and the wings too narrow where they connect to the body.

"Hawk" and "Falcon" are both fairly generic terms, though Hawk more so. That is, falcon is a subset of hawk.

The head in the attack icon looks odd too. Beak too long maybe? It's kind of sting-ray-ish. Is it supposed to be hooded?

The grey wolf's butt looks a bit too protuberant to me too.

I like 'em though!
The Eponymous Archon
cedric

Re: Falcon

Post by cedric »

Eponymous-Archon wrote:I'm no ornithologist, but the Falcon doesn't look quite right to me. Its body is too low relative to the head (it should be pitched downward maybe?) and the wings too narrow where they connect to the body.
I'm no ornithologist either, but your suggestions seem sensible. I'll rework the falcon.
Eponymous-Archon wrote:"Hawk" and "Falcon" are both fairly generic terms, though Hawk more so. That is, falcon is a subset of hawk.
Ok. I think I'll keep "falcon", then.
Eponymous-Archon wrote:The grey wolf's butt looks a bit too protuberant to me too.
I've edited the grey wolf, and gave it a defend stance.

Oh, and I've just seen (heard) that there is a new wolf-cry sound in cvs. Nice! :)

--
Cedric
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

the defensive image has the same problem the earlier image had
The grey wolf's butt looks a bit too protuberant
also, i think you might want the wolf's paws to go over the ears, similar to what the troll whelp does.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

But please note that crows and birds of prey have slightly different silhouettes.
Meh.
I don't really know enough about this to care.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
cedric

Post by cedric »

turin wrote:i think you might want the wolf's paws to go over the ears, similar to what the troll whelp does.
I played with this idea a bit... and here's the result.

--
Cedric
Last edited by cedric on March 17th, 2004, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Is it just me, or are the front legs longer in the new image than the old? they look somewhat stretched out.
The World of Orbivm
cedric

Post by cedric »

turin wrote:Is it just me, or are the front legs longer in the new image than the old? they look somewhat stretched out.
I think it's merely an impression. Measuring in gimp, they are about the same size as those of the standing wolf. EDIT: removed a pixel in length.

--
Cedric
cedric

Post by cedric »

Attack frame.

EDIT: yet more aggressive look.
--
Cedric
Last edited by cedric on March 18th, 2004, 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

The left foreleg looks a bit stumpy. Maybe both could be put in the same foreward position? Also, give him a nice open, biting mouth too. Vicious-er. :-)
The Eponymous Archon