1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Fosprey

Re: 1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Post by Fosprey »

Here are two replays where i misplayed in both and the luck saved me the day, in the first one, i was clearly winning and happening to do a horrible zoc control on the lancer, that would kill me in two hits, or 1 hit and cavalry double hit, well they came in and of 6 hit only 1 got inn and i won.
Second game, i exposed myself too much and got me in a bad position, but, there raise an oportunity to level up a poisoned, 1 hp horseman that could die against a wolf, my horseman got lucky and i got the win.
Attachments
Freelands LvN Fosprey-druderes Luck saved me again.gz
(27.64 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
LvL luck saved me.gz
(37.68 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

I've watched the first one, and if this is what you call "luck deciding a game," I think it illustrates why it's a waste of time debating this with you. It blows my mind that you could completely overlook every other critical decision and instance of equally weighted luck (on his side in particular) and claim that you won because "luck saved you" at the end. Even in that one example, your leader dying was not even the most likely outcome; ctk from the lancer and cavalryman was slightly below 50 percent.

I'd challenge anyone to watch this replay and argue that the outcome was in any way unfair.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

I don't say is fair or unfair.
I'm saying the game ended in a luck strike, i mean, supose i had 40% chance to lose.
ok, the 60 happend, i won
and what if the 40% happend? he won
now, i won because i played better than him?
if it so, and the 40% would have resolved, then he won because he played better than me?
See, the game was decided in THAT HIT. And the result coudl have gone either way.
ok you thikn i was the best player and thus the game was fair?
but so there was a 40% chance the best player didn't win!
A 40%!!!!
now, if that is not very luck based...don't know what to tell.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

LOL :lol2:

i dont wtach the replay but if it is true i think a 40% chance for losing a winning game, in case you are so lame to risk your leader is fair enough

you would have deserved to lose the game though to learn better play, that would have made me more happy and your crying how hard luck hit you afterwards would be more entertaining :D
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Fosprey wrote:I don't say is fair or unfair.
I'm saying the game ended in a luck strike, i mean, supose i had 40% chance to lose.
ok, the 60 happend, i won
and what if the 40% happend? he won
now, i won because i played better than him?
if it so, and the 40% would have resolved, then he won because he played better than me?
See, the game was decided in THAT HIT. And the result coudl have gone either way.
ok you thikn i was the best player and thus the game was fair?
but so there was a 40% chance the best player didn't win!
A 40%!!!!
now, if that is not very luck based...don't know what to tell.
It's luck based in that you made a big mistake near the end of a winning game. Well, I'm not sure what you expect in a game that involves chance in such situations. If people play bad and make big mistakes the outcome becomes more random. Is that what you don't like?

Btw, I have no idea where you got the win in the second game, it only goes to turn 13 were pretty much nothing is decided.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

Well my opponent conceded and i had a big advantage.
Fosprey

Post by Fosprey »

Talking about the issue, this is a great replay.
I think both me and my opponent played a great game, and i had to do some risk moves, the fact is that they could work well, or they could work wrong.
Both sucedded , both by very little margin. And i won.
Even if you are not interested in the random issue, i think is a great DvU game to watch.
Attachments
Fallenstar_DvU_Fosprey-Reloc.gz
(34.48 KiB) Downloaded 381 times
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

I should have posted this a long time ago.

Loy vs Drake (me(v)) on Weldyn Channel, 1.4.1.

EDIT: Wrong replay. See 2 posts below.
Attachments
2S_–_Kanal_von_Weldyn-Auto-Save27.gz
(37.1 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
Last edited by anakayub on May 13th, 2008, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take a breath.
hiro hito

Post by hiro hito »

anakayub wrote:I should have posted this a long time ago.

Loy vs Drake (me(v)) on Weldyn Channel, 1.4.1.

I don't understand what you want to show with this match!???

there is no end... :annoyed:
"Of course His Majesty is a pacifist. When I told him that to initiate war was a mistake, he agreed.Thus, gradually, he began to lead toward war."-Emperor Shòwa (Enlightened Peace)'s chief cabinet secretary
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

I just noticed, sorry. :augh:

I wanted to show how a saurian-heavy force (which I got at the end of the game) can make a strong push at night against a pierce-heavy loyalist force.

I hope that I'll be able to find it (so far not so good).

EDIT: Found it; I already posted it before, just in a different section. Sorry.
Take a breath.
Sparta

Post by Sparta »

Hello, this is my replay of me playing Knalgan Alliance versus enemy Rebels.
I'm playing against the computer just for fun, I like to get some tips and strategies
and what I should have done or not have done, any critique is accepted, and please do not
say anything about the computer or how sucky I am that I go versus the computer, I did this just for fun and
just for a quick match and to show you what I have in house, I know this wasn't a challenge but don't focus
on that, please focus on my recruitments, unit placements and order of attacks, defending, etc.
I hardly play multiplayer so I didn't really know if I was good enough, so please give me your opinions!
Thanks alot.

Note: The computer setting was on ''sample.py'', I don't know what the difference between all the settings are,
like ''default, sample, bruteforce, dfool, etc'', so can anybody explain me this?
Attachments
2p_-_Weldyn_Channel_replay.gz
Knalgan Alliance versus Rebels
(10.91 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

default is the standard AI and generally the best one. It is used in most campaigns.
bruteforce is a user-made AI that was intended to be much like chess AIs.
sample is a sample python AI, it's very simple.
I don't know about dfool, but it sounds like something stupid. ;)
Sparta

Post by Sparta »

AI wrote:default is the standard AI and generally the best one. It is used in most campaigns.
bruteforce is a user-made AI that was intended to be much like chess AIs.
sample is a sample python AI, it's very simple.
I don't know about dfool, but it sounds like something stupid. ;)
Um thanks, but what are really the differences..?
Is sample like, that he only recruits some units or he moves his leader never of the keep or.?
can you explain me detailed what the differences are? Yes bruteforce is a user-made AI but what are the detailed differences?? Does bruteforce AI like to be brute, rushing with his force or something?
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Sparta wrote:Yes bruteforce is a user-made AI but what are the detailed differences?? Does bruteforce AI like to be brute, rushing with his force or something?
Brute Force is an algorithm. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute-force_search. In ~/wesnoth/data/ais/ are the python files of the AI's. Sample AI: "This is a rather simple minded example of a python AI."
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
Sparta

Post by Sparta »

So can anybody give me tips and do's and don'ts of my replay?