paladin! whoo!

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The paladin sword attack frame. The sword is taken from the elvish archer, and basically what i did was shift the horse's head so it faces us, rotate the lance so it goes further down, and move the human's head forward 2 pixels. I think that one frame is sufficient
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

cooooool

Post by Jetrel »

gets my vote, for what it's worth (as does the set of ear-corrected pallies you lurched out a little bit ago.

Paladin Defend, Paladin Defend :D

Then, I think we might amazingly be ... done.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

For the defend image you should look the outrider defend image in the CVS or in http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/view ... cvs-markup
Change the horse colours and paste the paladin body, maybe displaying his shield a bit more.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

ok, i changed the outrider image and stuff. is this a good defensive paladin image?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I must confess, I don't like the defend image for the outrider, or this defend image for the Paladin.

The defensive image is displayed for too long for it to show a horse bucking into the air -- it looks un-natural IMHO.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Agreed. But what else is thero to have for a defensive horse image? maybe he block himself with his shield, and the outrider can block himself with his sword (like the other elvish units)
The World of Orbivm
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Can you not have the horse rear up, wiggle its legs a little, and then return to the ground in the timeframe of an attack?
kmj

Post by kmj »

telex4 wrote:Can you not have the horse rear up, wiggle its legs a little, and then return to the ground in the timeframe of an attack?
That would be cool. :) I had envisioned that, myself, when I read this earlier.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

telex4 wrote:Can you not have the horse rear up, wiggle its legs a little, and then return to the ground in the timeframe of an attack?
Well, at the moment, no, because the engine only supports one defensive frame (it supports an arbitrary number of attacking frames).

Even if we were to add support for multiple defensive frames, the problem is that different attacks take different amounts of time -- so it depends what type of attack it is.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Dave wrote:
Well, at the moment, no, because the engine only supports one defensive frame (it supports an arbitrary number of attacking frames).

Even if we were to add support for multiple defensive frames, the problem is that different attacks take different amounts of time -- so it depends what type of attack it is.

David
So is it non-trivial enough to add support for multiple defensive frames, and to specify a subset of frames to continue during the duration of the attack?

This would let you rear the horse up, have the legs wiggle and maybe a sword swish around while the enemy is attacking, and then return to the ground once the attack has finished. That would IMO be very cool, but then it may need some complex code.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Here's a thought - something that might work. What if the horse cowed (bent down - a somewhat archaic verb, which I hope I'm using right) its head like a dog being beaten.

This would look somewhat strange - horses in the real world never do this, because there is nothing of the requisite height to strike them like that. Everything in the real world would attack from below a horses shoulders.

However, there are plenty of things in BFW that would attack a horse from above. Keep in mind that such a motion would have to be altered to fit the dynamics of a horse's body - a horse cannot bend his head forward and down like a dog does - his front limbs are quite different from a dog's and this would cause him to fall on his face. A horse can still cringe and cower under a blow from above.

The turning of the head to the side does work for the frame you proposed, just not the bucking.

I suppose one source of decent footage of scared horses would be ROTK, should you need any inspiration. 8)
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

I like the bucking/rearing horse. What else would it normally do?
The Eponymous Archon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

sorry, i'm more of a 'get it over with and be done' person than a perfectionist. I have not actually tried it in game, so i do not know how it would look. it is my opinion that a horse cannot 'cringe', so i think the rearing up is the only way to go. anyway, give me more suggestions, if the one i posted is not acceptable.
The World of Orbivm
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

War horse are trained for ffight so I doubt they will cringe or cowed...specially the horse of a paladin. Why not moving is sideway as to appear to dodge a hit while the paladin is raisng his shield (or sword) to defend himself.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I will use C-33's idea. Now to redo the image.
The World of Orbivm