An awesome idea for Wesnoth

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

grand921

An awesome idea for Wesnoth

Post by grand921 »

I believe you guys should get some freelance rom programmers and make roms for Nintendo DS and the PlayStation Portable and post the roms on the website or actually burn them to cartridges yourselves and only charge for what it costed to burn the cartridge and shipping and handling.
\________________________________/
scott

Post by scott »

Wesnoth on Nintendo DS and PSP... cool

Do you know any?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Disto

Post by Disto »

It would actually be really cool on the DS, especially with the touch screen, if you could get the wesnoth Hexes onto the touch screen with all the units etc. Then it would be easy to play...
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Disto wrote:It would actually be really cool on the DS, especially with the touch screen, if you could get the wesnoth Hexes onto the touch screen with all the units etc. Then it would be easy to play...
Yeah, the map on the touch screen and all the info and the minimap on the upper one...

Now that would be cool.
grand921

:))

Post by grand921 »

im glad u think so it would be AWESOME if u think about it the people from wesnoth could actually become really famous if they did something like that to[/list]
\________________________________/
scott

Post by scott »

Well, find a ROM programmer who wants to port the game over.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

Wesnoth uses a lot of memory and may not be suitable to running on consoles. I remember seeing a discussion about this in the past.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

bruno wrote:Wesnoth uses a lot of memory and may not be suitable to running on consoles. I remember seeing a discussion about this in the past.
This is true. I don't know how feasible a port would be, we'd have to have more information about the environment available.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

There is only a little problem with this: The games for current mobile phones are written in Java. If someone would port wesnoth to Java it would be possible. The other problem is the low amount of memory you got on these. Ofen you only got 5MB for the files to install. That is almost nothing for a game like wesnoth. Especially since it can make use of lots of memory. That is one of the reasons why it is not this easy to port it to a normal gaming-console like the PS2 or the X-Box.
Disto

Post by Disto »

What would be really cool would be porting Wesnoth to be available on Phones, nowadays the are a huge amount of high tech phones and it'd only have to be like the lite Wesnoth as portraits and lots of music would be unfeasible, also you'd only have a few campaigns and like a skirmish mode. As their are increasingly high amounts of space and quality on phones i was just wondering, offering it say to a network to have a play with and port it.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
appleide

Post by appleide »

you could..... port it to ps2?

(dont port it to xbox.... microsoft will buy everything)
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
Corwin

Post by Corwin »

To port to the Nintendo DS you would have to seriously strip the game of a lot of data. I think much space could be saved by compressing the images and the sound files to lower quality since you don't need as high quality in general with the smaller screen.

I believe that a port to the Nintendo DS, although very cool, is also very time consuming. If there is someone that wants to take the project, I would appreciate it (since I really like the DS). I don't think a port to ps2 or xbox or any other console would make as much sense. I recommend considering handheld devices first. A benifit of the Nintendo DS is they have a way that you can download the game wirelessly even without having an actual game rom to put in the system.

Another fesable port is to the GP2X. This would probably be easier due to the out of the box SDL support and the linux based OS.
Corwin
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

appleide wrote:you could..... port it to ps2?

(dont port it to xbox.... microsoft will buy everything)
Too bad PS2Linux isnt being distributed in the US anymore... The PS 3 will have a hard drive, and have the capabilities to have an OS on it, so that is good.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
freecraft

Post by freecraft »

Ivanovic, about porting to Java, well, most devices are MIDP1 and CLDC1 which means only 64k RAM - IIRC :(

Anyway I am sure it requires a lot of code cutting / optimisation. But you see, this is a good idea ... On NGage platform (and similar phones like 6600 and 6630 etc) it would be possible to make wesnoth with C++ SDK, but that would be a real job to do.

It is good wesnoth images are png :) Png is best image format for java programs ... Maybe I should borrow some images from wesnoth and try to do something ...