halbardier

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

purki
Location: Somewhere in the north to slay marauding dwarfes and trolls.

halbardier

Post by purki »

Hi!

My idea is to change the attacks of a halbardier.

11-4 pierce

9-4 blade

see you
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Why?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
purki

Post by purki »

Tux2B wrote:Why?
because a pikeman has only pierce and so pierce should be stronger.
toms

Post by toms »

because it´s more logical that his pierce attack is very powerful :irritated:
(think on a real halbardier)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Hmm... that makes sense...
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

toms wrote:because it´s more logical that his pierce attack is very powerful :irritated:
(think on a real halbardier)
well. a halberd was a pole arm with both ax and spear--and I always assumed that ax(blade) more important than spear(pierce)

but I'd Like the change anyways :)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
purki

Post by purki »

This is the weapon
Attachments
halberd.png
halberd.png (513 Bytes) Viewed 4929 times
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

purki wrote:This is the weapon
I see a large ax, w/ smaller maybe spear (can't tell) wouldn't that put more emphasis on blade than pierce?
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

AFAIK Halabards spike was 60cm long!
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Tomsik wrote:AFAIK Halabards spike was 60cm long!
I don't think the spike was over 1.5ft that seems large--but I agree that the spearhead should be longer than it is in picture

Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Here is image(i found it at google image, i hope text isnt problem):
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

okay---thanks for clarifying!

khamul

Post by khamul »

The Pikeman has an 11-3 pierce firststrike attack. The Halbardier has 11-4 blade a 9-4 pierce firststrike attacks: is this not RIPLIB?

It's easy to imagine a situation where you would rather have a Pikeman than a Halbardier - if you are being charged by a horseman with 26 HP in twilight, a single hit from the pikeman's pike will kill the horseman - as the pikeman goes first, he has a 60% chance to kill the horseman and take no damage. The Halbardier, however, only does 18 damage with the blade attack, and 22 with the pierce attack - he needs 2 hits to kill the horseman, so has a much higher chance of taking damage from the attack.

I would say that for a unit with firststrike - especially one designed to recieve cavalry charges - a lower damage pierce attack with more swings is _not_ strictly better than a higher damage attack with less swings.

Switching the damage types around would fix the problem, as would upping the damage and reducing the swings of the pierce attack, which would, IMHO, make the unit more interesting.
If life gives you Lions, Make Lionade.
Casual User

Post by Casual User »

If the piercing attack was stronger than the bladed one, the bladed attack would be useless as piercing is generally better than bladed, and in the few cases where bladed is better, 9-4 would still be either equal to or less than 11-4.

I think the halberdier's attacks should be changed to

15(or 14)-3 bladed
12-3 piercing

The total damage would still be (roughly) the same, but it would fix RIPLIB and would keep the feel of pikeman - fewer, more powerful attacks vs swordsman - numerous, weaker attacks.

It would also make first strike more useful.
khamul

Post by khamul »

Casual User wrote: I think the halberdier's attacks should be changed to

15(or 14)-3 bladed
12-3 piercing
I think, if my maths is right, this gives a halbardier exactly enough piercing damage to kill a charging horseman on full HP in one hit in the daylight. A strong or resiliant horseman should be able to take the one hit and survive, and a strong halbardier can kill a strong or resilient horseman in one hit.

Sounds about right to me. Anyone charging a horseman at a halbardier in daylight is either desperate, a mad crazy gamblin' man, or doesn't like horsemen.
If life gives you Lions, Make Lionade.